G21SF or XD .45 ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Triji, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Triji

Triji

I'd like to hear from those that have shot both. Which one do ya like better? Which one overall is more accurate? Comfort and time back on target?

I got a 1911 and a G19 but am now looking for a .45 with higher capacity.

Thanks for the input, been searching and now want to hear some recent thoughts.

Thanks

2. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

best thing to do is go to a range and shoot one, here in where i live is a small town and even we have an indoor range where you can rent a gun all day for 8 bucks! if you cant shoot one then you might spend a lot of money on something you dont like.

3. Triji

Triji

Yeah, thinking that may be this weekends plan. Head over to Scottsdale Gun Club and get one of each and put 50 down range thru each and see which one feels better .

4. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

The XD45 Tactical I had was a great gun. It shot great and was very accurate.

5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I own both. It's actually a toss up for me. I prefer the Glock trigger, but the XD is a pretty sweet shooter. Flip a coin.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I actually shot both and chose the XD45. Great gun. And you can tell by my signature line, that I kinda like Glocks a little bit:cool:

7. DocwithGlock

DocwithGlock

The only glock I ever sold was my standard size G21. I compared it to the 1911, XD, and Ruger at the range with a couple of buddies. The the unanimous order from best to worst was 1911, XD45, G21, and the Ruger (the ruger was not mine so I didn't care). The G21 was a great gun, just not great for my hands. I tried it a few more times, but decided I would rather get rid of it. I do like the SFs but I have yet to shoot a G21sf and XD45 sde by side. It would probably be a close call.

8. Glockwork Orange

Glockwork Orange

I have owned two G21's and now only own two XD 45's...nothing wrong with the Glocks, but for me the XD feels better in the hand and shoots great!

9. striker6126

striker6126

This post pretty much sums it up.

I prefer the feel of the xd , but like the abundance of parts and accessories that can be found for glocks . Plus the glock armorer down the street that has never charged me a dime to work on my glocks is always handy.

10. Triji

Triji

Cool, thanks for the replies... Looking at a XD .45 4" and a G21SF this weekend and will make my decision based on a side by side test. For me I do like the rake of the Glock grip personally but I also like the look of the XD. It is a nice looking piece of work and available in the duo tone which is a plus.

I think it will come down to which one I am more accurate with and which one allows me to get back on target faster. My 1911 is absolutely a tac driver and my G19 is very good for what she is as well.

My guess is that the XD is every bit as reliable as a Glock so that should not be a concern.

Thanks for the feedback.

11. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

I have a Glock 21SF and XD Compact .45 with a 4" barrel. Both are great guns and neither has given me any reliability issues. With that said I'll rattle off a list of their differences.

The trigger on the XD has a lot more travel and a longer reset than the Glock. On the other hand it's a single action trigger and is lighter than the standard Glock trigger.

The XD has a much strong recoil spring in it. This helps reduce recoil but makes the slide much more difficult to rack. I can easily use the rear sight on my belt to rack my Glock slide but can not do the same with the XD.

The Glock barrel sits lower than the XD barrel by a noticeable amount. This means the Glock will give you less felt recoil. But as mentioned above the XD has a strong recoil spring making the felt recoil on both guns about the same.

It's MUCH MUCH easier to change the sights on a Glock than an XD. To swap out the front sight of the XD you need to either cut out the old one or have access to a hydraulic press. If you're going to order an XD save yourself some trouble and order it with the sights you want from the get go.

When fully loaded the magazines for the XD insert and seat no problem even if the slide is in the forward position. The Glock magazine is not so kind. If there is a round chambered and I want to put a fresh magazine in my Glock I have to make sure I slam it in there hard.

Detail stripping a Glock and reassembling it is as easy as you can expect. The XD isn't so kind in this regard. Reinstalling the grip safety is a pain in the ***. You have to insert the retaining pin in the correct direction (there is a cut out on the pin for one of the spring arms). Likewise you really need to put a slave pin in the grip safety otherwise the spring will fall out before you get the safety lever properly inserted. Needless to say you don't have to detail strip the gun unless something breaks so this is really a non issue for most people.

The grip on the XD is smaller than the Glock by a slight amount. Likewise the XD magazine release is ambidextrous. Most Glock 21SFs have an ambidextrous safety as well but it doesn't feel as nice to operate as the XD release.

As far as accuracy both pistols are about the same. In fact in my hands they are exactly the same. Both guns are easy to disassemble and clean and both have an accessory rail. You really can't go wrong with either one.

12. Triji

Triji

Wow....Great post Chris!

Thanks alot for the slew of information!... So now the question begs... If you could only have one, which would it be? :)

Thanks again!

13. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

I would probably stick with the Glock at this point. Of course my only real reason is the Glock pistols are easier to work on and parts are more widely available. But you would be hard pressed to pry my XD from my hands, I seriously love that gun as well. Of course being both guns have lifetime warranties it's not necessary to work on either gun. If something breaks you can send it in for repair.

14. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer the XD in 45ACP.

15. trover

trover CLM

Me too. Love it, and prefer the brand to Glock, although I own both..

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The easier availability of parts/pieces made me choose the Glock.
    However bothe are ourstanding! Check out the XD45 Compact!

17. garageman

garageman

I have a G30SF and an XD45 service model with thumb safety and they are both good shooters. A friend (lady) from work and I shot them both a couple weeks ago and our observations were that the G30SF shot a little smoother and with less felt recoil than the XD, they were both very accurate (with the G30SF being slightly more accurate for us both), and they both functioned flawlessly.

One thing I noticed on the XD was that the slide take down lever irritated my left thumb after about 50 rounds. It seems that my thumb rides this somewhat during firing and it started to get a little irritating (to the thumb). The Glock doesn't have the same setup and is more comfortable for me to shoot.

I would try to shoot them both if possible. I think either will serve you fine.

18. novaDAK

novaDAK

_____

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  19. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I traded mine as well. The reason being is .45 ammo is too expensive right now, that and I am not a huge fan of .45 to begin with.

It was an impulse buy really. I saw it sitting on the shelf in my local gun shop, and checked it out, it was practically new, and I paid $409 for it, so it was too good of a deal to pass up.

When I eventually start reloading I will pick up another .45, a 1911 this time however.

20. Larry V

Larry V

I own both and lean more toward the21 SF