close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G21 or 20 in GSSF, anyone?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Justin1911, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Justin1911

Justin1911

I know the "big boys" aren't that popular at GSSF for several reasons including recoil, cost of ammo, etc. But I was running my 21sf today with some reloads (just started reloading) to see how it ran. And with my light reloads, I must say it felt like a 9mm with factory loads. I set up a little 5 to glock and my times were from 0 to .50 seconds slower than a typical 9mm run for me. I when pasting the targets I noticed out of 100 rds I had 3-4 that would have been scored better because of the larger diameter hole breaking the next ring - this would not have been so with the 9mm. I may give it a try in Anniston next month in Mas stock and Mas comp.

BTW I'm loading 4.0 clays, wolf primers and BBI 200 SWC with mixed brass.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

don't think i've ever seen a g20 in GSSF, seen a few g29s. i see alot of G21s in GSSF, but nothing compared the the 9mms. my g30 load is 4.4 WST and a 200 grain moly bullet. very soft and very accurate. not tried it in a g21, my guess it won't cycle 100%.

3. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

I was considering running my G29 in Major Sub, since I would only lose 6 cases vs. 10 elsewhere. Of course, with the price of 10mm running much higher when you can find it, I am rethinking that. If only I had a G30, as I have enough cases where I wouldn't mind losing a few of them...

4. Justin1911

Justin1911

Ede - on a side note how do you like the molly bullet, and are you using a stock glock barrel? The black bullet international is a molly coated lead bullet, and after 100 rds today I had very very slight leading in the glock stock barrel. At first I keep checking the barrel every 3 rds for any lead build up. You hear horror stories about lead bullets in glock barrels, but it seems a molly coated lead is ok. It least that's what people on the internet say:supergrin:

5. David From NC

David From NC

I seen one G20 last year (2009) in Morganton in the hands of a man in his 50's and he could shoot it DANG GOOD, but I can't recall his name... :dunno:Looked stock except for a red Dawson front sight and aftermarket rear sight (possibly Dawson also?)

I've seen several G21s...mostly Guardians trying to get a little more trigger time and a few were decent, but two jump out at me-John Nash can BRING THE MAIL with his G21 :wow: which he shoots almost like a G17 with softball loads (except for the blast) and his groups are usually pretty wicked too...some pairs on the far cardboard targets this year were within an inch of each other, even at high speed.

Also, a tall man I didn't know (6'5" or more, heavy smoker, late 40's or early 50's, wearing MILSPEC rain gear) was smacking them with a pistol I BELIEVE was a G21 with aftermarket sights. He shot it as fast as an unlimited gun and still had decent hits... :wow:

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

the 45s are cut a bit different than the other glocks. no leading problems factory barrel otherwise i'd be shooting UL with it. never clocked my load but i know it's slow. it's very accurate, shot a clean match with it in orlando. i tried moly in either 9 or 40, most likely 40 since i shoot moly for USPSA, and it leaded up quick so i quick and never tried to make a load for it with moly bullets.

7. Noponer

Noponer

Justin -

I shot a G-21 in USPSA for several years shooting nothing but hardcast lead. No problems, but that's not saying it can't happen. That's only 150 rounds or so, of course... & the barrel got a good cleaning after each match. My first G-21 had 15,000 rounds of lead through it (early to late 90's).

I used a piece of 1/4" square key stock steel bent into a scraper blade at the tip. You could feel the lead coming out - & could tell when the barrel was getting clean when the scraping got really smooth... because it just slid on the hard Tenifer. I finished off the job with a stainless brush.

I know - I hear the booing now, but a stainless brush is what Glock recommended to me then. I still use nothing but stainless brushes in my Glocks.

- Ken

8. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

It takes a diamond file to cut tenifer.

Stainless steel won't do it.

Use your SS brushes in good health.

9. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

When I shoot more than 1 gun, I shoot my G21SF, then my G17. It's like swinging the weighted bat in the on deck circle - the G17 feels like a .22 after that.

10. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

I have used my G29 for sub compact and major sub. My results were so-so. I couldn't find a load I liked to run thru it for GSSF, plus the cost of brass was getting pricey. i wound up getting a G30 for major sub and use my G26 sub comp now. My G29 is a road trip pistol now.

11. JonInWA

JonInWA

I've been very satisfied with my G21 in GSSF and IDPA. But with the cost and limited availability of .45 ACP ammunition, trust me, my 9mm G17, G19, and G34 are going to experience significantly hammer (well, striker) time and match use for the forseeable future.

Best, Jon

12. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

If I had to choose between a 21 or 20 for GSSF or any other discipline, I'd make it the 21. For no other reason but the .45 brass is a lot cheaper and easier to find than the 10MM is.

When I shot GSSF I saw a few guys using 20s. Most likely their only Glock and/or they just enjoyed shooting the 10MM. Can't blame them there. :supergrin:

13. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've RO'd Orlando the past two years (and picked up brass at the end) and can't remember seeing a single piece of 10mm. There was some .45...but the vast majority is 9mm and .40.