G21 magazine

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by darango360, Aug 17, 2019.

1. darango360

darango360

I purchased a used G21 that only came with one magazine. I purchase two more OEM magazines from my local gun store. I also purchased a G20 conversion barrel and another 2 OEM G20 15 round magazines. When I went to the range I discover that none of the 4 new magazines will lock into the pistol. They all slide right back out on their own after being inserted. After a close inspection. I noticed that the one magazine that came with the pistol had a metal plate on the front of the magazine that the 4 new ones do not have. The interesting part is that all 4 new ones will lock into my G30 without issue. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Gen 3 and earlier magazines aren't compatible with Gen 4 and later pistols. What generation is the pistol?

3. Glockman4

Glockman4

Sure they are. If you are right handed.

OP, are you a lefty and is the G21 a gen 4? Is the magazine release button switched to the right side of the gun? I’m guessing that is the issue.

New mags, gen 4 and later will have a notch cut on both sides of the mag so it will work with the release button changed between left and right. Interestingly enough, I have some gen 3 mags that have the metal plate but only a notch on one side, so they’re not compatible with the release placed in the left handed position. Sounds like you bought some new/old stock gen 3 mags.

This is a gen 3 mag, only compatible with a gen 4 if the mag release is in the right handed position. Notice the notch only present on the right

03518424-716C-44F1-BD86-E1EACD8DEC3D.jpeg

Vs a gen 4 mag that is compatible with the release in the left or right handed position. It has notches on both sides.

745D8178-A130-4632-ADFF-B642C0F6D6C7.jpeg

All mags are compatible between generations as long as the mag release button is set for a right hander. I’m guessing your G30 is a gen 3, or gen 4 which has the release in the right hand position. Once you switch the release to left hand mode on a Gen 4 (or if you bought it and want to keep it that way) you need mags that look like my second picture. Confused yet?

I’m here to help, I promise LOL. If you have any more questions just ask.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Like glockman4 said, they absolutely are compatible. +1 for make sure your G-21 is set up with LH Mag release.

5. Judgemax

Judgemax

You may have an early 21SF that Glock sold for a short time the used the center “notch” to capture the mag. This was an early attempt to be ambidextrous. This system had problems and went away quickly as I remember.

Wizzz and GRT45 like this.
  6. darango360

darango360

It is a g21SF with the ambidextrous release and the magazine steel insert in the middle and one notch on the left. all the new ones have the notch on both sides without the steel plate.

All the magazines seem to be the newest ones because the part number matches what is offered on just about every web site I have looked at and I have looked at a lot.

I am not sure what generation it is. It has the finger grooves like all the other Glock's I own.

I didn't have any of this trouble with my G32. I have all the barrels and magazines to convert it to both a 40 cal and a 9MM.

Do they make G20 magazines that will work with the ambidextrous release?

7. banger

banger

Whaaaaat!

This is pure unadulterated BUNK!

When in doubt..... Make it up.

bubbatime likes this.
  8. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The ambidextrous mag catch, featured on the original G21SF pistol, requires the rectangular notch cutout at the center of the mag to function. It's an entirely unique mag catch mechanism not found in any other Glock model in the USA. It was originally included on the 45ACP pistol that Glock intended to compete in anticipated trials for the USSOCOM Joint Combat Pistol System program to replace the Beretta M9 9mm pistol. The program ran from August, 2005 to the Fall of 2006 when it was suspended indefinitely before USSOCOM requested sample pistols for evaluation. Glock released the G21SF pistol with MIL-STD-1913 accessory rail (Picatinny) to the retail commercial market early in 2007. Although the G21SF was the only Glock pistol with an ambi mag catch ever issued in the USA, the center cutout notch is prevalent on various mags in other calibers. Glock decided at the time to retain the mag design considering it could be required by future models of Glock pistols. However, after many years in disfavor, the trouble-prone ambi mag catch idea has been abandoned by Glock, Inc. in favor of the Gen4 reversible mag catch. Recent production versions of new Gen4 mags no longer have the center notch ambi cutout.

P.S. The Gen3 G21SF 45ACP was produced in three major variants of the frame, besides a very limited number with a RTF2 grip, namely:
    1. ambidextrous mag catch and Picatinny rail
    2. ambidextrous mag catch and standard Glock rail
    3. standard right-handed mag catch and standard Glock rail

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    L-2 and FullClip like this.
  9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Isn't it justpretty easy to unload the gun, pull the slide back and lock it, and take a peek in the mag well and see where the little "pokey bit" is and if it matches up with the slots on the sides or center of the magzine??

Even can push the mag release button and see if the latch inside the mag well goes in and out.

But, I never knew that there was a Glock model that used a centered latch...learn something every day here if I pay attention.

flyover likes this.
  10. Judgemax

Judgemax

I’m afraid the OP got a somewhat unpopular Glock unicorn — very unusual for a Glock. It’s the only Model I’ve ever sold even though it’s a great shooter. Fine for funning with at the range. Mag change issues kept it out of my battery.

Good excuse to get a New 21:dancing:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    FullClip likes this.
  11. Maxx702

12. Maxx702

I mis spoke... the difference is the ambi slide release cut outs.

That said, don't be such a ****off.

13. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

G20 mags with a center notch cutout for the ambi mag catch were definitely manufactured by Glock, Inc. I have three such G20 mags purchased a few years ago. It probably won't be too difficult to find some, but you should ask for confirmation from the seller before purchasing. The mags manufactured most recently are less likely to have the configuration that your ambi G21SF requires.

By the way, it's very possible that Glock will offer to exchange your ambi G21SF for a new Gen4 G21. They have done this in the past for others because they are eager to take the trouble-prone ambi frames out of circulation.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    L-2 and FullClip like this.
  14. bubbatime

bubbatime

As you have found out, finding mags that work can be a chore. I have heard that you can send it to Glock and they will swap the frame out for you to the latest style frame so that you don't have to worry about magazine interchangeability. Id call Glock and see what your options are.

L-2, jr24 and FullClip like this.
  15. QNman

QNman Old timer

That's the issue. That one, short-run, rare Glock only uses magazines with the metal plate.

You have an early, Gen 3 21SF with the ambi mag release. If you send it to Glock, they will replace the frame with a non-ambi one.

Sorry.

16. Karambit777

Karambit777

I never knew these unique ambi-mag-catches existed.

FullClip likes this.
  17. cciman

cciman

Does it have the Pic rail, then it is a true unicorn. I had one and Glock nicely exchanged out the frame to a gen3 SF, but serial numbers don't match. (It was not robust..kept malfunctioning)

It may be a collectible to someone. Otherwise just have them replace it, then all mags will work.