Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Infidel :)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on a light for my G21, I have a Surefire X300 on it now, HATE the light, but I know Surefire's quality and have used them years - I am a big fan boys of theirs. :( :( :(

What's the next best thing in a LED weapon light for a Glock?

Thanks -

Eric

Registered
I'm running an old SureFire X300 on my G21.4. A little heavy, but tough. I too am interested in what you hate about it, it's been one of my favorite WMLs.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you hate about the surefire?

I did not mention it b/c I did not want to get into a side debate about it, but the switch setup / use (pushing it forward vs the "tilt" style of the Streamlight and old Insight Tech lights). I have also tried the Surefire "pressure switch" for it too - I did not like that any better.

I don't like having to push the switch forward to get it to function, and I do not like the stiffness of it's "tilt" switch to get it to go constant either. :(

I just prefer the easier / lighter tilt switch / mech of some of the older non-Surefire designs.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a older Surefire 3 cell Surefire P3X Fury (hand held light) rated at 1000 lumens, I do NOT want a 1000 lumen lamp (like the HL version with the TLR-1HL) on a gun that may be used indoors. :(

The Surefire X300 I have on my G21 is rated at 500 and that's about right for indoor use in my opinion (after also having the 500 lumen version of the handheld Surefire Fury too).

I know Streamlight offers the TLR-1 in a 300 lumen version, not sure if 300 lumens is either enough compared to my X300 at 500 lumens or if between 300 and 500 there really is no difference between the two of them.

Note: On a gun / rifle intended for OUTDOOR use I have NO problem with a 1000 lumens light after playing with my Surefire P3X outside at night compared to my 500 lumen lights OUTSIDE. It's just that 1000 lumes again is overkill in my opinion indoors (reflection, white walls, etc.).

Registered
I did not mention it b/c I did not want to get into a side debate about it, but the switch setup / use (pushing it forward vs the "tilt" style of the Streamlight and old Insight Tech lights). I have also tried the Surefire "pressure switch" for it too - I did not like that any better.

I don't like having to push the switch forward to get it to function, and I do not like the stiffness of it's "tilt" switch to get it to go constant either. :(

I just prefer the easier / lighter tilt switch / mech of some of the older non-Surefire designs.
Oh ok. Wasn't looking for debate but since a lot of lights more or less emulate them it helps to know what you're looking to change.

Olight doesn't have the same brand recognition but their full size lights are designed with a switch similar to the Streamlight TLR7 for what its worth. Their MINI lights aren't any easier to manipulate than the X300 though.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Olight doesn't have the same brand recognition but their full size lights are designed with a switch similar to the Streamlight TLR7 for what its worth. Their MINI lights aren't any easier to manipulate than the X300 though.

Ok, so I am confused, do the Olight lamps switches work off of tilting the switch up or down to turn them on, and if so is the switch easy to push or is it stiller the my Surelamp that I do not like, - OR - do you push the Olight switches IN with pressure to make them come on?

The other issue I am fighting also is I also already have a fairly pricey Safariland ALS holster that fits the older lamp designs like the old Insight Tech lamps and my Surefire one, and I do NOT want to have to replace the holster either :( if I can find a lamp that still fits it also? It looks like this -

unnamed.jpg

Thanks -

Registered
Ok, so I am confused, do the Olight lamps switches work off of tilting the switch up or down to turn them on, and if so is the switch easy to push or is it stiller the my Surelamp that I do not like, - OR - do you push the Olight switches IN with pressure to make them come on?

The other issue I am fighting also is I also already have a fairly pricey Safariland ALS holster that fits the older lamp designs like the old Insight Tech lamps and my Surefire one, and I do NOT want to have to replace the holster either :( if I can find a lamp that still fits it also? It looks like this -

View attachment 754782

Thanks -
It depends on the model.

The PL MINI models from Olight use a switch similar to the x300 that you tilt down. So you probably want to avoid those.

The PL Pro Valkyrie for example, the lights that are shaped similar to the X300, Actually use a different type of switch which is more pressure sensor in towards the middle of the pistol/light. Hopefully that helps.

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on the model.

The PL MINI models from Olight use a switch similar to the x300 that you tilt down. So you probably want to avoid those.

The PL Pro Valkyrie for example, the lights that are shaped similar to the X300, Actually use a different type of switch which is more pressure sensor in towards the middle of the pistol/light. Hopefully that helps.
It's not so much the "tilt" feature as it is the Surefire one is EXTREMELY stiff to both tilt either way or when using the push in feature as compared to some of the other, older tilt switch lamps that are very easy to turn on. It's not just my light either where there is a failure in the switch on mine and it's as simple as that, I have heard from more than one other person that also has the Surefire X300, and they have the same complaints as I do. :(

And again, the Surefire tape pressure switch accessory does NOT help either (I already ordered one and tried it).

I originally had one of the old Insight Tech M3 lamps back in the day (the late 90's) and they are VERY easy to manipulate the switch on (they "tilt" on ONLY), but they were only incandescent at the time, and very low powered (like 100 lumens or so) also. :(
675152.png

THAT is what I am after - an easy to use LED light (switch pressure wise that is not so stiff) that has less than 1000 lumens also (too much light indoors).

Thanks -

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phlster makes larger/longer switches for many lights. The added length might make your x300 acceptable for you. The kit is around $25 and comes with 2 larger sizes and a third blank one to stipple if you are Gucci.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/arc-enhanced-wml-switches/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That might solve part of the problem, but I really don't like using aftermarket stuff as opposed to OEM parts on defensive stuff, especially with something that works so well as is like the Surefire stuff. :(

Also, my main problem is not that I can't reach the switch with my fingers or thumb, it's that the switch is so STIFF when either pushing it in to turn it on or when tilting it to do the same. :(

Thanks for the recommendation though, I appreciate it -

Come on man!!
If you liked the switches on the old Insight lights then a Streamlight TLR1 is the obvious answer here.

Registered
TLR1 probably best bet.

I have the Olight Baldr Pro on my G21. Used to have a x300ua. The switch is much larger on the Olight, pretty hard to miss, and pushes in or forward for momentary. Push in to click and release for constant on.
It's not bad. I haven't fumbled it in practice at least. The one thing I dont much like is the double tap on the switch to get full lumens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts