close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G21 Gen4 Issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Buck 80, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Buck 80

Buck 80

Hi all,
    I just picked up a G21 Gen4 about a month ago and have found a slight issue with it. The slide does not lock back if the mag is empty. When shooting it upon last shot it usually does lock back but I have had two instances where it did not. The born date on this gun is 01/27/12. One more thing is that I am shooting 230gr factory reloads but that does not explain why it won't lock back on an empty mag. Any suggestions?:crying:

2. oldman11

oldman11

Factory reloads may be a little underpowered. Try a box of Magtech or PMC (no reloads).

3. silversport

silversport

If you are sure your hands are not near the slide stop when shooting, I bet it may just be a new pistol with new springs...monitor it and see if it continues or works itself out...

Bill

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I suspect the reloads. Try some real ammo.

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The first thing one should always do upon any kind of malfunction while shooting any reloads is to swap in some factory new ammunition to see what happens.

Same goes for use of aftermarket parts or off brand magazines.

6. Rustin

Rustin

It's gotta be your grip. If your interfering with the slide stop during operation, your more than likely going to end up with this kind of malfunction. I was perplexed why my G19 would fail to lock on an empty mag for me, but would lock back when my brohter's shot it. I started out with a 1911, so I got used to riding the thumb safety while firing. Good for 1911's, bad for glock's.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. guns85

guns85

Where is the born on date located, is it on the glock case or the firearm.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The way most of us determine the 'born on date' is the little envelope with the two shell cases that comes with new pistols.

Born on dates are of course not on the gun itself.

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

It's not your ammo.Check your grip.Your thumb is most likely riding on the slide stop,which will cause this type of malfunction.

10. jdc91g

jdc91g

As repeatedly stated above, probably the ammo. Could be your grip. I've run about 1,500 rounds through my gen4 21 without any issues whatsoever, no FTE, etc. I've shot all kinds of rounds, including a couple hundred reloads from Freedom Munitions. No problems.

One thing (unrelated) I did after first trip to range was to change slide stop to a Ghost extended stop. Great improvement over stock! Best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  11. Buck 80

Buck 80

Thanks for all the replies. The problem wasn't while shooting it was that it won't lock open on an empty mag during a function check. Was at the range to-day and it locked open on last round every time. Someone suggested new springs and I am starting to believe that. Thanks again for all your help.