GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know coming to a Glock forum there will be some bias. Buuuttt, that aside, people that have had both what are your thoughts. I just recently sold my G20.3 bc while I could shoot it well & had a great factory trigger, it was as most say..wide in the grip. I reload 40/10 so I'm looking to replace with a Gen 4 20/40 or the XDM 10mm. I have access to hold all 3 but wanted more from people that have them or have shot them. This would be strictly for range & possible vehicle carry. I have plenty of SD ammo for 10 so really this comes down to the gun itself. Also should point out that pricing isn't too much concern. I get blue label on Glock & can get dealer employee pricing on Springfield.
Also, I wouldn't be totally opposed to the XDm Elite. I have the PPQ Q5 Match & TP9SFx. So those would help round out the competition style guns.
Just really looking to replace my 10mm gun

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope this isn't too OT but just some thoughts.

You say pricing isn't too much of an issue, but are you referring to only those 3 choices? I wonder how grip circumference would be for a Sig P220? Or maybe you've already considered but want the higher capacity of the Glock or XD?

How about a 10mm 1911? Slimmer grip, but personally, I don't like to carry SA hammer-fired pistols in a defensive situation. (Sorry 1911 fans. Just my opinion.) And there's the lower capacity unless you go to the larger grip of a double-stack.

Finally, I recently got to hold a Lone Wolf Timberwolf 45/10mm frame recently with a G20 slide. Talk about a nice combination! Slimmer grip profile and a great feel. And it takes G20 mags.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have four of the models mentioned, G20sf, XD Tactical in .45auto, SIG P220 SA 45auto and Colt 1911 Delta Elite. I was introduced to 1911s ~50 years ago and it's my go to platform (pistol, S&W L/N frames .357mag revolvers) for defensive carry. Few put in the training time needed for 1911 carry, but that's for a separate thread.

Living in a rural, remote area near designated wilderness gives me the opportunity to defensively use what's being carried... I don't remember a time during quick draw releasing the slide safety before shooting.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have had the G20SF Gen3 for a long time and had the slide milled and grip bump removed. Had the G40 too but since I use the Venom dot and have the 6"KKM on the 20 had in my opinion an upgrade from the 40 and sold it. Like the option of going smaller and with the dot the sight radius benefit no longer exists. If you are going open sights forever would get the 40. Picking up today my first 1911 in the Ruger 10mm. While single stack the trigger reach is still a little to long for my short fat fingers that also applies to the G20. I do love nice 3# and under target triggers so this might be a new favorite as its a lot of fun to shoot open sights even though the dot is more accurate. Would lean toward a good used G20 with the Lone Wolf smaller grip straight back frame but again I have small hands.

Never handled the XD but am sure its a nice option if it fits you well and you like the trigger.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,479 Posts
I've had them all and if I could only have one, I'd take the Gen4 20. The 40 MOS is cool but I'm not convinced it does anything the 20 doesn't except weigh more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the G20 gen4 and it fits me perfectly with the large grip panel.
Is the gen4 not as wide in the grip as the gen3?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@PatKIve built a PF45 in 45acp & could get a barrel but really just looking for a dedicated 10mm from the factory. The Gen 3 20 I had I polished(not sanded) the internals & had it about as smooth as I could get a factory trigger. I also still have a no longer made 6" 9mm conversion barrel for the 20. Had to run hotter 9mm but never had a hiccup, even used the 20 mags too.

I've never considered much about Sig until holding the P320 X Five Legion. Not a 10mm but very nice. I know nothing about the P220 except for people usually bring them up when someone asks about a Colt Delta..also not really into 1911s. I think they look very nice but not my cup of tea. I know plastic fantastic fanboy..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts