G20C Recoil spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G20MONEY, Jan 26, 2010.

1. G20MONEY

G20MONEY

Hi all, new to GlockTalk. Just got my first Glock, G20c. I love it, just ordered a G19 today! Anyways, is the stock recoil spring and guide rod OK for shooting the hotter Double Tap loads? I've seen some threads about guys going to a stainless steel guide rod and a 20 lb. spring. What do you guys think.

2. SCC

SCC just me

WELCOME TO GT !!!!
    If it was my gun i would keep it all stock ...

3. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

My experience was that a 20lb spring tightened up the velocity spread that the chronograph will show when you shoot hot loads with the 17lb spring. Going from a 75 FPS spread to a 35 FPS spread was typical for some loads, but only really hot ones. Some people claim a change in feeding reliability, but I never could see any difference on that. I also never thought I could tell much difference in the recoil felt in the hand either.

I'm talking about my G20 BTW.

4. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

congrats!:wavey:

I have a G20 with a tungsten rod, and 24lb spring... I shoot heavy reloads, that compare or beat DP... and have not had a problem yet. Steel will work fine if you dont trust Tungsten, or dont want the extra weight.
    The 24lb spring works fine on rem umc factory loads btw. And I'd add a recoil buffer too, cheap and takes a lot of abuse.

5. mboylan

mboylan

The fact that your gun is compensated does change the equation for recoil springs. The recoil impulse is very different. The gas volume generated by the 10mm, especially with hot loads really works the barrel ports and pushes the gun down in recoil.

Hotter loads push the barrel down more than standard loads. I would stay really close to stock weights.

6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Fine just like it is.

7. hoffy

hoffy

But shot a boat load of the original Norma 200gr stuff that came out back in the 80s when I worked at a gunshop. That Norma stuff was for the Bren Ten, which I actually shot, though the last guns were shipped w/o magazines:rofl:
    Anyway, I would bet that Glock developed their mod 20 around the Norma stuff, and it is/was plenty hot.(When Colt came out with the Delta Elite the Norma stuff pitched about 5-6 front sights off of guns we sold) . I can' argue with empirical evidence gathered with a chronograph, but I usually leave some guns stock, and Glocks are one of them(except night sights). A recoil buffer? Maybe, I bough my mod 20 used and it had a new frame, mismatched to an older slide, obviously a factory repair, shop where I bought it did not know what happened to it other than PO sent gun back. I don't run loads hotter than SAAMI, my handloads are lucky to break even with hot factory loads, I have 44 mags and a 460 mag if I want juice. I don't know what Double Taps figures are, but the Winchester Silver Tip is a pretty hot load compared to what most of the major manufacturers are offering. The 10mm is a good cartridge, you will like it and your Glock.:wavey:

8. G20MONEY

G20MONEY

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll leave it stock.