G20 vs. Big Ass Bore

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Diezel_Amps, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Diezel_Amps

Diezel_Amps Guest

Today I was duck hunting (early Teal) and ran accross a big, 350-400lb. bore with "tusks" at least 4" long hanging out of its mouth. Luckily, it looked as if an F350 had already had its way with this pig but I hear there are plenty more in my the area and they are very agressive. I was carrying a G26 with 124 +p+ ammo and doubt seriously that would have done much to this guy. Would a G20 10mm penetrate this suckers grill and KO his ass or do I need to pickup a 44mag or something?

Note: due to laws I can't carry anything but a shotgun with steel shot (no emergency slug) and a CCW weapon which is normally my G26.

Thanks.

2. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az Enjoying life!

With heavy bullets loaded right, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Double Tap ammo with heavy bullets comes to mind.

Daryl

3. MisterBB

MisterBB Guest

I would sure think that the G20 could handle it...plus you've got 16 rounds at your disposal.

Boar's are basically eccentric looking pigs.

Googled, and found a guy that hunts wild boar with a G20 10mm. He says:

"THE STOPPERS
    That list would include the .500 S&W, the recently introduced .460 S&W, the .454 Casull, the .480 Ruger, the .475 Linebaugh, the .44 Magnum and the .41 Magnum. Unless your local threat includes nothing larger than feral dogs or smaller rabid animals, the .357 Magnum is marginal at best. But the 10mm semi-auto is an overlooked option that can be quite effective. With the proper loads it can produce the same penetration as a .44 Magnum, and its reduced recoil allows more control in rapid-fire situations.

I’ve taken a number of large boars with a 10mm, and after a careful analysis of the bullet performance, I’ve come to the conclusion that in a short-range, shoot-fast situation, I’d rather have a properly loaded 15-shot Glock 10mm in my hand than a six-shot .44 Magnum revolver.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/shooting/article/0,19912,1140069,00.html

4. Dobber

Dobber Member

DT has a couple loads the will lay that pig out with no problem. I would go with a hardcast load and it will work fine in your G20.

5. Sertory_glock

Sertory_glock

Hit them in the eye and just about anything will work fine.

6. floridafred

floridafred Guest

A friend of mine hunts them with a half dozen pit bulls and a knife. Damn Glock is overkill by comparison.
    Fred

7. Allen Raiford

Allen Raiford Guest

8. soundwave

soundwave

Say "hi" to Lothar of the Hill People for me :wavey:

9. twok2lcdcnc

twok2lcdcnc Guest

hahaha... probably the best post ever.

I saw something on TV about that, actually. It's exactly what it sounds like... nothing more, nothing less. The dogs just wear down the pig until it's out of energy. Then... well... the knife part.

10. Wiskey_33

Wiskey_33

I know in GA if your hunting with dogs, they will bay them, and you can either stick 'em with the knife, or you can tie them up and release 'em on your property for a later hunt. I'd prefer to just shoot 'em and get it over with.

11. Diezel_Amps

Diezel_Amps Guest

There are plenty of guys around here that do the Pit Bull/Pig thing. They usually but a big steel chest plate on the dogs. But, I am in the middle of nowhere, usually by myself with one 100lb yellow lab.

I think the 10mm will work well. Actually, I am thinking of a G29 since I don't really want to haul around a 20 wearing waders, etc...

12. noway

noway

{They usually but a big steel chest plate on the dogs. But, I am in the middle of nowhere, usually by myself with one 100lb yellow lab.}

sic the lab on the boar and run the other way ;)

13. slama683

slama683

I believe that Mr. Nugent himself encourages the use of the G20 on pigs and boars (and liberals, and criminals, and terrorists, etc.)

14. vafish

vafish

I'd personally use a .44 magnum.

But that's mostly because I already have a .44 magnum and don't have a G20.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I have a G20, and would still use the 44mag on the low end of calibers, for what your talking about.

Good luck.

CanyonMan

16. Los Suenos

Los Suenos Guest

The 20 will be fine. Get the 200 or 230 beartooth flat point hard cast. Another thing, if there is alot of those hogs around as you describe, leave your dog at home. Your dog will go after them and end up getting hurt or killed. It will also be hard to get a shot off on the hog without shooting your dog. I know how much my dogs mean to me. I actually bought my first bulldog thinking I was going to use him for hog hunting. Then I saw what a hog can do to a huge, mean pit bull and forgot about that idea.

17. G20man32904

G20man32904 Guest

If you do pick up a G20, shoot me a pm. I have some 220gr handloads I can mail you 15-20 of.
    I would love to see how they work myself, but I'm not able to hunt.