Glock Talk banner

G20 or G29

4164 44
Hey all, looking for advice. I'm looking for a new either carry pistol or woods gun. I want a 10mm glock gen 4 but can't decide between the 20 or the 29. I used to have a gen 3 g20 but sold it to a friend now i have the addiction . I don't mind the weight and size for cold weather carry, but Texas has some damn hot summers so i carry a g43 but i feel limited round count wise and caliber wise. What would you choose and is there enough of a difference to matter ballistically?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
At some point I'll add a 10mm to the family. I'm leaning towards the 29 mainly because I own a 30 and am familiar with the frame size and ergonomics. The ballistics between the 21 and the 30 isn't significant. I haven't looked into it with the 20 and 29.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 29 and it handles great. It seems about as big as my G19, albeit thicker and shoots well enough that I don’t want a G20.
How well does it handle full power loads and how good wasthe accuracy? That's all i would run with the exception of sig vcrowns that did some nasty damage on a feral hog out of the 20. I have a g27 gen4 that is not fun to shoot after a mag's worth of JHP but FMJ runs smooth. I put a .357 sig barrel in it and oddly enough underwood loads are softer shooting than the .40 counterpart.

· Happiness is where you find it
403 Posts
How well does it handle full power loads and how good wasthe accuracy? That's all i would run with the exception of sig vcrowns that did some nasty damage on a feral hog out of the 20. I have a g27 gen4 that is not fun to shoot after a mag's worth of JHP but FMJ runs smooth. I put a .357 sig barrel in it and oddly enough underwood loads are softer shooting than the .40 counterpart.
Recoil is subjective, but with Sig Sauer ball I put my 29.4 in the same category as my 629 with a 6.5 inch barrel and magtech jsp ammo. Or a really stout 4” .357 mag. A bit more with Underwood loads. Though the 135 grain load at 1600 kicks like a .40.

I picked up a 19.4 last week, I love that pistol too!

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,480 Posts
Well, if you are a shooter and / or a hunter, recoil is a fact of Life to be managed.

Selling the 20 suggests ......something swayed you to make a change.

Personally, I’ve appreciated the 10mm and the 29’s are a great size. My grandsons were given the two I had and still enjoy today.

Accuracy to me is 8” bulls at 75 yards for game that far away, if you cannot do it you are not at a point in time that you should be pursuing. All my ammo is more accurate than my degradation of body and ability.

Myself, a 9mm or a 44 mag fan and I load long ,with 300/315 grain projectiles in a Ruger...the Ruger though less than 3” but still able to keep 8” bulls.

If you do not enjoy shooting your firearm it’s not a right fit for you. You might have to rethink your choices.

· Banned
8,024 Posts
I have both, if you want to carry it sometimes get the 29. The 29 carries better than the 19/23/32 for me but it's heavier. I carried it often back in the day but my lower back hurts when I carry it for a few days in a row these days. Also get Wolff 22# recoil assembly and Pearce +2's for 12+1. I use new style 10 rd. G30 mag springs in them.

· Registered
15,002 Posts
I have a gen 4 20, live in Central Texas, and have carried it every day for 2 1/2 years.
I just don't care for smaller frame handguns.

Reactions: Badazuwanme2b

· Previously Jisbell40
785 Posts
The g20 is ballistically superior and easier to shoot well for those that are recoil sensitive. I have several g20’s and my only g29 did not last long. I would rather carry the smaller frame g23 than a g29. The reduced barrel length on the g29 and corresponding muzzle flash and reduced velocity do not justify the thickness increase for me. In my opinion a 10mm deserves a minimum of a 4.5” barrel. And I consider the 4.5 marginal. Most of mine have a 6 or 7”. I only have one g20 that keeps a 4.6”. The ballistic advantage of a 6” OEM barrel is significant. I’ve got into the high 900 ft lbs from a 6” OEM barrel with underwood and buffalo bore. I have some hand loads over 1k ft lbs.

· Registered
5,359 Posts
I view the G29 as a compromise for easier carry concealment.
If you don't have a conceal requirement, get the G20.
I have a G20.4 and it is good, clean fun to shoot.
Soft shooter, very accurate and great for an extended practice session.

· 1911 lover
8,286 Posts
Sounds like i should try out a 29 some day. I like the g20 because it is a great 200 grain load and 15 plus one makes it a great house or woods gun for me.

I have been camping and outdoors and never needed to shoot anything, but still like to carry a good gun. My daughter was camping in a pretty deep place... a good mile from the car.. no other campers around. She had a g21 along. A bear showed up way too close.. that was agressive and was used to people feeding it. luckily she had great powerful lights and the campers all moved to her tent since she had the only gun... she had contacted the park ranger to get permission to access the camping area.. and had kept his number and card. He showed up at 2 am with a big bore rifle and had to shoot the large bear more than once to put it down... my daughter was very sad that the bear got shot... but she at least had a way to protect herself.. the ranger commented that the 45 acp glock was not exactly a perfect bear gun... but far better than a sharp stick. Especially if you fired 5 or ten rounds into the animal. After that experience she still takes the 45, but now also sports a huge bottle of bear spray.

· Registered
884 Posts
I have run several loads from Underwood and Double Tap and it has been perfect. One load puts out over 750 ft-lbs of force and its even still controllable in slow fire. Accuracy is very good though I don’t have many rounds through it yet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.