close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g20 or g21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cocked and locked, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

I'd go G21 myself, 10mm is a sweet round but finding it in it's true form is hard and pricey. 45 is effective with alot of different and available loads, get yourself a 10mm bareel/mags down the road and have 2 in 1.

2. DFin

DFin

Is it the G-21 ejector that damages the 10 mm brass?

3. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I asked KKM about it, they said no, it doesn't work. Something to do with the extractor, which I don't get. If it works with the 10mm, shouldn't it work with .40?
    .45 to .40 would be a popular conversion I think. A barrel, extractor and G-20 mags would do it.

4. DFin

DFin

It is unfortunate because buying a 10mm slide and barrel to put on a G-21 is not cost effective. Not to me anyway.

5. tuica

tuica

How about 45ACP+P? Should be more than enough knock-em-down power. Cheers.

6. Noles26

Noles26 Made in Texas

So G20 should be nearly 100% reliable in a .40cal conversion ?

7. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Mine has been.

8. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Get a .45 and shoot P+ when you want the extra mojo.

9. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

I would have to say it depends on what you want it for. 10mm and .45acp are like apples and oranges. 10mm is a high velocity, long range round, one that is perfectly suited for a hunting sidearm. .45acp is a big, slow bullet, great for ccw or home-defence IMO, at least if you live somewhere like I do where overpenetration could mean hitting a bystander through a wall or something. As someone on here said before, .45acp is more for use against humans, though it could be used against animals, where as 10mm is more for use against larger predators, though it could be used against humans. It all has to do with what your application for the pistol would be.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

11. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

If you are about to start reloading, 10mm Auto ALL THE WAY!!! I took the 10mm plunge on April 1st of this year, and it is like crack! It is so fun to shoot, and both the G29 and G20 are sweet shooters.

Here are the calibers you can shoot from a G20/29:

-.40S&W (just a barrel swap)
    -.357Sig (just a barrel swap)
    -9x25Dillon (just a barrel swap)(This is like .357Sig magnum, or 10mm necked down to 9mm)
    -9mm (barrel and mags)

So, you can have FIVE calibers in one gun. The first three calibers are all based on the 10mm case, so they fit the 10mm magazines fine, and they function perfectly since the extractor groove diameter is the same. Nine millimeter works as well with a barrel and magazine, though it should not be relied upon. That being said, there are several people who have them, and have never had a failure.

With 10mm, you get more energy at 100 yards than .45ACP at the muzzle. You get flatter shooting at distance (less bullet drop), and a huge selection of bullets. You can find 10mm bullet weights from 125gr to 230gr. You can load them from 1800fps to 1100fps, respectively. A fellow member here routinely loads 135gr Nosler JHPs to 1800fps (that's 971ft-lbs of muzzle energy).

If you don't reload, 10mm could get somewhat expensive. However, if you reload, there's NOTHING like 10mm. You can download to bunny-fart, sub .40S&W loads for the range, or you can make hot stuff that will scare all of your range neighbors. The boom and flash from hot 10mm loads (with the right powders) are so much fun. Reloading and 10mm Auto are a match made in heaven.

Do yourself a favor, buy a G20, get a reloading setup, and you will be in love. Plus, you can load for all of your other calibers. I also shoot .45ACP (which isn't cheap), and my reloading setup makes it cheap as hell, too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I misread your post, as it is the ejectors are different for .40 cal and 10mm, but i haven't tried firing .40 cal w/ a 10mm ejector so i really can't say anything about reliability. The frames are different sizes, you can look on the website and see that the measurements are different, the extractors are the same (my error), and i could have sworn the mags were different as well. If the 10mm mags work for .40 cal without feeding issues that's pretty cool. Would make for a pretty sweet set-up imho especially with the price of 10mm ammo

13. J_P

J_P

I would go with the Gen 4 Glock 21, .45acp ammo is easy to find here in South Texas.

14. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

The only failures I've had with the .40 conversion have been with handloads that were too weak to cycle the gun. Once I got the 165 grain .40 handloads up to about 875 fps, still a pretty light load, they ran fine.
    I loaded some long (1.200") to fill the magazine better, they ran fine, I settled on a near standard length of 1.135", they run fine too and make for a more efficient load, that is they use less powder to reach a given velocity.

Now the next part may be heresy to some, but in an emergency, .40 ammo will work in a stock 10mm. I have tried it in the 20, just 5 rounds, fed, fired, extracted and locked the slide back with all factory parts. Factory .40 ammo will function in a stock 20/29. They are held (headspaced) by the extractor.
    There used to be a guy here who ran thousands of .40 rounds through his stock 20 (his claim) with no trouble, but I like to play it safe and use an aftermarket conversion barrel. KKM is my choice.
    The nice thing about the conversion barrel is that it's proving to be more accurate than the stock 10mm barrel with plated bullets. If I ever use lead, it will certainly be in the conversion barrel.

15. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Bingo!

16. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I think you're missing the point. 10mm and .40 are identical except for length. In a 20 or 29 you don't need to replace the extractor or ejector because they are grabbing and ejecting identical case heads. You use the stock 10mm magazines because .40 caliber magazines would never fit in the mag well. .40 rounds feed just fine from a 10mm magazine. They are slightly shorter, but still feed just fine.
    All you need is an aftermarket conversion barrel, they are designed to fit the 20 or 29 and just have a slightly shorter chamber. A Glock 22 barrel would not work because of the smaller breech.
    The stock recoil spring works just fine with .40 ammo.

17. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

About the 9mm, what magazines do you use?
    They don't seem to work in my 10mm mags.
    Who makes the barrels?

18. KennesawGA

KennesawGA

If you want the 10 - then buy the 10. 'Nuff said.

All arguments for cost, practice, ammo variety, choice, availability and personal protection, favor the .45.

Same reason I bought the G26 instead of the G27.

I have a G21 - my friend has two G20's. We're both happy.

Stay safe - that's the main thing, with handguns, especially.

19. Noles26

Noles26 Made in Texas

:thumbsup:

20. spinweezy

spinweezy

Wellsaid. I have both and love both. Happy shooting!!