close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g20 or g21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cocked and locked, Jul 9, 2011.

1. cocked and locked

cocked and locked LiveFree or Die

i want a new glock in a higher caliber i have a g17 gen4 but i want something with knock down power. my concern with the g20 is finding ammo. i live in rural iowa and i dont think i have 10mm around here. i can find 45acp everywhere but would like the 10mm. if anyone knows where i can find 10mm that would be great.

thanks

2. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

swampfox is the best source right now for full power 10mm that meets the advertised velocities, and still loads gold dots.

HPR on scottsdale ammo's website has XTP jhp's a little cheaper, about $35 for 50 rounds. it's only about 75fps slower than swampfox too. :)

3. cocked and locked

i guess i never considered price on the 10mm. that is a little steep. im buying a reloader soon so it should be a little cheaper to reload. :wow:

4. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Georgia Arms has their canned heat 10mm reloads for $330 per 1K, or new brass for $390 per 1K. They charge the same prices for .45 ACP.

Keep in mind you can get a conversion barrel and mags for the G21 to shoot 10mm for about $125, but it doesn't work the other way around for the G20.

5. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

i hear ya, the ful power swampfox is $50 for a box of 50rounds-plus shipping :wow: lol

i honestly can't afford to shoot my g29 much because of that. you can get low power (40cal power) target ammo for around $20--but what's the point of that?

6. doneroman

doneroman SheepDogs-R-Us

Well there you go-until then take the NRA reloading class and get some Georgia arms "canned heat". Collect your brass. I believe you can drop in a .45 barrel to the G20, but not vice versa, IIRC. (Nope, I'm wrong, 10mm drops in to 21.) Storm Lake barrels.

Be sure and check hand fitment on regular framers vs. SF frames, if you have smaller hands. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. Maine1

Maine1

if you want a reliable weapon that does not butcher brass- a real concern in 10mm- i'd not fool with the conversion of a 45 to 10mm or vice versa. my experiments worked OK, but the brass was a loss. Not what you want with a 10mm.

now a g-20 with a 40 barrel makes good sense.

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Get the 20 and a .40 conversion.

With the 10mm and .40 being identical except for length it makes for a very natural, reliable conversion. No extractor or ejector issues, no magazines to buy.
    Plus an aftermarket .40 barrel will have conventional rifling in case you want to take advantage of lead bullets. My KKM 10mm to .40 conversion barrel is also more accurate with plated bullets than the stock 10mm barrel. Spent .40 brass is the most common to find at the range here in southern MN and western WI and 10mm/.40 bullets are cheaper than .45 bullets, so it adds up to cheaper shooting.

9. crnama

crnama CLM

I just bought a nice used G20 a few weeks ago. Now I am hooked on the 10mm. I also shoot .357 sig so I like the odd calibers. If you want to shoot 10mm you had better plan on reloading otherwise the expense of shooting full power 10mm rounds is too much.

If you want to reload get the G20 otherwise get the G21 and buy ammo from the store.

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

except for they use completely different frame sizes, magazines, ejectors, extractors, but other than those small parts it should work great!

11. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

As far as just the G20 or G21, if you don't reload and think you might get tired of ordering online I would go with the G21.

However. As already mentioned, one thing cool about the G20/29 is that you can get a LoneWolf 40 S&W conversion barrel for it that will allow you to shoot .40 which is readily available anywhere. Then you have the option of stepping up to the 10mm when you feel the need. Plus, as long as you can have them, the G20 holds more rounds than the G21 (15+1 vs. 13+1).

12. MajorD

MajorD

I'd always prefer the 45 myself. the 10mm is a great round, but alot of the factory ammo is not loaded up to the 10's full potential, often chronograpghing not much faster than a 40 S&W. The easy availability of the 45 makes it much more practical. You won't find 10mm except at specialty stores (gun shops) and the price will be high. sure you can mail order it, but if you run low and need to buy a few boxes locally to get by it will be hard to find and costly.

13. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

All you need is a .40 conversion barrel.
    You're not building a G-22, you're converting a G-20 to fire .40 ammo.
    Barrel, that's it.
    .40 conversion are highly reliable, I've had two, 20 and 29, both are flawless.

There are many here who also have the conversions.

Do a search before you announce how little you know.

14. offsidewing

offsidewing

You can buy 9x25 Dillion, .357 sig, and .40 S&W conversion barrels for the G20. All of those loadings utilize the G20 mags. I own a .40 SW conversion barrel for my G20 and used it for a while until I saved up enough to get a reloading press. Reloading really opens up the potential of the 10mm round. I spend the same amount of money reloading, but get twice the amount of FULL POWER ammo.

If you plan on reloading, I recommend buying a 10mm barrel with better chamber support than the stock barrel for your full power loads. It's easier on the brass.

15. cocked and locked

that is a lot to consider guys thanks for the input. im still torn on what to get i like the idea of getting a g20 and different barrels. how many different calibers can you get in the g20 with different barrels? i saw the 357 sig and 40 s&w posted and maybe 45? if i can get a 45 barrel with it i will most likely get the g20. if anyone has a really good argument for the g21 now is the time to pull them out.:nailbiting:

16. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

You can't convert the G20 to fire 45ACP unless you swap out the whole top end. The G21 can shoot 10mm with just a bbl and mag swap.

17. Texcowboy

Texcowboy

+1 I have a 10mm barrel on backorder from Glockmeister for my G30, all I need is the barrel and mags for conversion.

18. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I guess it boils down to which round(s) you want besides 10mm. If you want .45, get the 21 and convert to 10mm.
    If you want the .40 (which shoots real sweet in the big 20), get the 20 and convert to 40.

It's too bad that you can't get .40/.357sig barrels for the 21, then you could have it all.
    I asked KKM about it and they said it's a no-go, don't remember the exact reason.

19. doneroman

doneroman SheepDogs-R-Us

Well, initially you asked about getting a 20 or 21. Buy the 21 and you can do the 10mm conversion barrel + 4 10mm mags for less than an addittional $200. If you are leaning towards a ton of conversion options go to the G22 which can accept .357 SIG and 9mm barrels.

If you are going into reloading and want to shoot bigger loads/lead, go with the 21 + 10mm conversion. Barrel makers: KKM, EFK Dragon, Storm Lake, Bar Sto, Jarvis, just to name a few of the better ones. ENjoy!

20. DFin

DFin

Does anyone make a .45 acp to .40 conversion barrel for the G-21? It would be nice to get 3 calibers out of it. I asked Lone Wolf and they said they had too many problems trying to make it function reliably. The only way I know of shooting .40 from a G-21 is to buy an entire G-20 slide and barrel and then buy a 10mm to .40 conversion barrel. I think I'd buy an entire G-20 before doing that.