G20 gen 4 vs. G20 SF?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bluescot, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Bluescot

Bluescot

I've been looking into a 10mm shooter lately and looked up the Glock website and did a comparison of the two above mentioned shooters and found the only difference was 0.18 oz for a empty with mag comparison. The width of the two models in the Glock website is exactly the same.

I can reload my G22 gen 4 with different components and equal most over the counter 10mm 180g factory loads which are not all that impressive to begin with. The custom loaded offerings like Buffalo Bore, etc with their 200g loadings are something beyond the pressure limits of my G22 yet it is that loading that captures my eye.

I know that the G20 is a large handgun and somewhat wide/thick in the slide ....but I thought one of the advantages of the SF format was to narrow the slide and perhaps to save some weight along with the change.

Am I missing something in this comparison ???

2. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

The Gen 3 G20's were huge, comparatively. The G20sf resulted in a thinner, easier (for most) to hold grip. The Gen4 without added adjustable grips/backtrap is effectively the same as the Gen3sf. The Gen 4 allows you to increase grip size with the added backstraps the Gen3's lack.

The Gen 4 has a different RSA and a bit more aggressive grip texture.

I have the Gen 3 G20sf, and while I thought about the upgrade to the Gen 4, it didn't bring anything to the table that I was willing to pay for. If buying brand new, no prior investment in a different generation, I would probably start with the Gen4, but I will be happily keeping my Gen3 since I already have it.

If staring at a gun cabinet and they are the same price, I'd get the Gen4. If the Gen3 G20sf was $50 cheaper than the Gen4, I'd be happy to save the money and would buy the Gen 3.

Bluescot likes this.

3. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

You have to put your hands on the guns tom make a good decision. Go to a large dealer and hold both, you will lean to the one you want.

Bluescot likes this.
  4. Mike-M

Mike-M

The Gen4 G20 has two significant advantages over a G20SF:
    1. It uses a dual-spring RSA that will serve about twice as long as the G20SF single-spring RSA before the slide assembly starts bashing the frame assembly.
    2. The Gen4 grip texture is a notable improvement over the G20SF.

There are other improved features, such as beavertail backstrap options if you have a grip that interacts with the slide during recoil.