close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G20 for Bear

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Green Mountain Boy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

Folks,
    I am currently trying to decide between a mag revolver or a G20 as a camping and woods gun. In my section of Vermont we are beginning to have serious black bear issues. I am thinking G20 because of capacity which would be great for the more likely human predator.

Would you guys feel under gunned with a G20?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Were I hunting them then I'd want a .44 mag revolver.

To pack as a woods defense gun, then I'd feel fine with a G20, a spare mag both loaded with some of DoubleTaps finest Barnes loads.

3. GaryC

GaryC

I have no real world experience in this, but my reading over the years tells me that handguns for bears is a really bad idea.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

5. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Gotta love the Internet ......

6. DannyII

DannyII

Best advice I've read from the interweb bear hunters - remove the front sight. It'll make it more comfortable when the bear shoves it up your A**!

7. GaryC

GaryC

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

For black bears the G20 should be fine, but for grizzly's I think a long barreled magnum revolver is much better. The long barrel has to be easier to slide past yer face to get it into the bears mouth before ya fire it.....trying to get the G20's slide into his mouth with yer head would almost certainly push the slide out of battery.

:supergrin:

9. GaryC

GaryC

10. DannyII

DannyII

This has been fun... again....no, really. :faint:

But seriously, I read in the GATE forum that Mas recommends, if your only choices are a handgun, a wheelgun for bear or other big predators. Reason = they're literally on you before you know it and the likelihood of a muzzle contact shot is high. With any auto, the muzzle contact may cause it to be out of battery, and therefore a poor choice for a stabbing weapon vs. a bear.

11. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

Seriously folks I'm not carrying a 45/70 while flyfishing. This isn't a bear thread as much as a what is the best reasonable option thread.

The notion that one needs a 50 bmg for anything that moves is a little off if you ask me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. ignantmike

ignantmike

i wouldn't feel under gunned with a g20.....if a bear charged me, i would be busy pooping my pant's anyway....but, i'll take 15 rounds over 6....

13. douggmc

douggmc

G20 is a great woods gun in general. Fine choice. Use a nice secure holster.

That said ... You are in friggin' Vermont, not Kodiak Island ... So don't sweat the small stuff (i.e., worries about encounter w black bear). Keep your campsite bear proofed (mindful of food left around/out) and proceed to good times ... And concentrate on driving safely to and from as I'd say your chance of getting waxed from a dumb azz in the other car is about 20x higher than via black bear. LOL

14. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

I'm really curious as to how many bear Mas Ayoob has killed.

I've killed ten and among my son and friends it goes into the many, many dozens.

Here's a little one that gave me some of the worst trouble I've ever had with a bear.

[​IMG]

15. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster

I wouldnt be affraid to use a g20 in bear country, it beats pepper spray a.k.a human seasoning.:rofl:

16. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

For black bear you are honestly fine with any caliber that goes in a service pistol .38spl/9mm Luger/NATO/Parabellum and up in the heaviest, hottest loading offered. That being said a 200gr/220gr Doubletap hardcast out of a 10mm squeezing about twice as much energy out as the previously mentioned loadings x15 is more ideal.

Do not listen to the internet caliber police. Unless you are in Alaska you do not need a guide rifle or something. Especially for Black Bears. Maybe its because we have have every terrestrial predator of North America represented here in Idaho except for Jaguar and Polar bear, but I would consider black bear "wittle". Anything that can kill a hog will kill a black bear.

But just so we're clear, in Alaska I'd recommend a guide rifle or something. There's a clear divide in "threat mass" between the contiguous states and Alaska.

17. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

By the way, I live in and work and play in black bear country and do not consider them a problem basically at all unless antagonized in some way. When hunting them, sometimes trouble is met. We have a few grizzly that wander thru. Bear are largely avoidable, and in a fight a big grizzly is going to be difficult to stop with most comfortable-to-carry wheelguns tho it has been done.

I like the 10mm, but I carry almost exclusively a 9x19.

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

[​IMG]

19. Breadman03

Breadman03

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if I have to ask), but isn't the 10mm very close to .41 Mag performance? I would feel very comfortable with the G 20 for defense.

20. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

Where in Idaho?

Also, seconded on the Grizzly Bear comment regarding any comfortable to carry handgun being up to the task. That being said, if you put a few in his noggin with anything .357 and up you'd be fine. Most people probably aren't comfortable with needing that level of shot placement in that kind of situation. I am so I'll go to the woods with a G20. If someone was concerned about being able to defend themselves from a Grizzly when all fine motor skills and training have gone to **** a guide gun or auto shotgun with slugs would be the only choices.