Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shot the new G20 today.

First, I like it.

I bought a case of ammo {1,000 rounds} but it hasn't arrived yet, so I was stuck with 2 boxes of American Eagle 180 FMJ. Thing feels like a GI .45 going off. I should know by now that the internet is full of larks, but this thing doesn't kick at all. Nothing even remotely like a .44 Mag. 'Nuff said about that silly topic.

I am raw meat with Glocks and am learning the trigger.

Here's the standard computer-geek-gunfighter-wannabe drill; 2+1. 2 fast in the torso, then one fast in the head. Maybe for the former I should say groin, as I was shooting low. Yeah, I was dodging Mustafa's body armor... :upeyes:

Handle is admittedly a little large, but I wore gloves off and on and it was OK with thing gloves I find with the glocks a wool glove actually feels better than a sticky glove. Opposite of any other guns. Good to remember as this will be my main ski pistol.

Shot some stumps and then put a "1911's worth" {7 rounds into the Wolf's Head at 12 meters.

Actually, this is a more significant target for me at least for my concerns.

Shot thusly. You can see the empty in the air as I'm getting the down following the front sight for the next shot;

I like it.

I got 5 mags with it. 2 with the gun and 3 more from Ed's. Also got Trijicon See-in-the-dark sights with it. Rear needed to be drifted to the left some which I did. Needs more, but I'll just shoot KY-windage till I get my case lot and see where that prints.

Thanks to all who promote the 10mm. I think it is going to get a lot of trailtime see some ranch chore duty, too.

I'm making a holster, but until then, here's the temporary shoulder rig;

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the 10mm family. I don't see a reason to shoot anything less powerful than this. I actually found the heaviest commercial loadings (Buffalo Bore) to be the easiest to shoot accurately.

·
Not an Expert!
870 Posts
Welcome to the 10mm family. I don't see a reason to shoot anything less powerful than this. I actually found the heaviest commercial loadings (Buffalo Bore) to be the easiest to shoot accurately.
afaik, Buffalo Bore makes a 220 grain and DoubleTap makes a 230 grain. Does Buffalo Bore make anything heavier than the 220? If so, I'm in!

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
3/4 I think you're one cool cat! I sure as hell wish I would get to do all the cool outdoor stuff that you do..

Anyway, the 10mm Glocks are sweet. I really like my G.20SF and like Carlos said, I too found the hotter stuff funner and easier to shoot. Swamp Fox is my brand of choice. I really enjoyed shooting those.

Well, welcome to the club! Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of that pistol!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
Like my G20SF. I shoot some rounds that ring my hand in my G22. Easier to shoot accurately also. Very fine firearm.

·
Transform & Win
3,349 Posts
3/4Flap, thanks for another great report.

Keep this up, and there could be a new documentary/reality series on The Learning Channel: "3/4Flap's Idaho" :embarassed:

I like the thought of a rough-duty 10mm Glock doing its job in the wilderness, not some sissy indoor range.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glocks in 10MM Rock..! I have 5 already...yes...a fun hobby. Now I reload and roll my own.
Here's my GLOCK 29 and my 5 mag (75 round) G20 Mag carrier. Neat way to carry spares.

·
Not an Expert!
870 Posts
3/4 I think you're one cool cat! I sure as hell wish I would get to do all the cool outdoor stuff that you do..

Anyway, the 10mm Glocks are sweet. I really like my G.20SF and like Carlos said, I too found the hotter stuff funner and easier to shoot. Swamp Fox is my brand of choice. I really enjoyed shooting those.

Well, welcome to the club! Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of that pistol!
I wish Swamp Fox made hardcast heavier than 180...something 220 or 230 would be nice

·
Registered
854 Posts
3/4 great post! That's why I love Idaho plenty of places to shoot and get away from mcdonalds.

Those American Eagle are prolly the weakest factory stuff to be found. Don't know what you have on order, but Double Tap and Buffalo Bore will come closer to full power 10. Better yet roll your own, those 200/230 grn DT WFNGC in front of a custom recipe will crumple the wild dogs or just about anything ID has to offer.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hogpauls, you must be right. The AE stuff feels light. I'd like to chronograph it but the bullet has to be going fast enough to actually reach the second screen to record, and I'm not sure if it is... :supergrin:

I ordered a bunch of Prvi Partizan JHP's. We'll see. I want the brass and will handload this round no doubt. It is gun that is growing on me fast.

·
Ol 8 fingers ;)
2,712 Posts
Most 10mm ammo isn't loaded anywhere near full power - it maybe closer to .40 s&w than it is 10mm.

I have shot some rounds that are ".44 mag-ish", not quite there, but definitely you'll know you're shooting something with full power ammo.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much for all the information.

For higher velocity loads, do you guys recommend a different recoil spring? Any problems keeping the factory spring with heavier loads? I'm not talking about experimental, envelope-pushing handloads, just loads at what might be called original spec 10mm loads.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Well I've shot Swamp Fox ammo out of my stock G.20 and didn't notice any problems. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glocks in 10MM Rock..! I have 5 already...yes...a fun hobby. Now I reload and roll my own.
Here's my GLOCK 29 and my 5 mag (75 round) G20 Mag carrier. Neat way to carry spares.

I've got to jump on board with those who think this is one of the coolest setups I've seen in a long time.

That gun just plain looks USEFUL!

Uhg...does that mean I'm headed for a 29...

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Thanks very much for all the information.

For higher velocity loads, do you guys recommend a different recoil spring? Any problems keeping the factory spring with heavier loads? I'm not talking about experimental, envelope-pushing handloads, just loads at what might be called original spec 10mm loads.
The nice thing about a stock g20 is that it will cycle anything. I do run a 22 pound spring as well, but the stock spring rate works well for heavy loads too. Your brass will launch into orbit though with the lighter spring. For that matter, even heavier springs have the same issue. My suggestion would be to run full-strength loads with your stock setup and then see if a heavier spring rate is desirable to you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts