close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19C or G17C in Competition Division

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by SMLR, Aug 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SMLR

SMLR

Does anyone have any experience in using a G19C or G17C in Competition division?

I’m getting ready to add another Glock to my collection and had planned on adding a G34, but I’m also considering one of the 9mm “C” models and was wondering how the models compare with regards to muzzle flip.

I understand the lighter slide in the “C” models would help the gun cycle a little faster, and the porting would reduce muzzle flip to some degree, but I’m not sure if this would provide any advantage over the additional weight of a G34.

I don’t currently reload for 9mm and would be using Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ loads (1150fps) out of the “C” gun, and Atlanta Arms 147gr FMJ loads (920fps) out of the G34.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a G17 for Comp, I don't see an advantage to useing a C or long slide gun. of your two choices i'd get the 17C but that's more personal preferance on the frame size.

3. mike g35

mike g35

I like the long-slides but if I was dead set an getting one of the two C models you asked about I would go with the G17C. The longer barrel and the frame is what I would go for. The G34 is an awesome gun though, you may want to check one out before making your decision. From what I have heard the compensated C models don't work well enough to warrant the extra cash.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

I agree with Ed and Mike. :)

I have shot the 17C better than my stock G17, but I could never do it consistently, and thus simply use the G17 for all three of the matches I normally shoot (master stock, competition, and unlimited).

I'd pick the 17C over the 19C too....

5. The Highlander

The Highlander

Between those two, certainly the 17C would be the preference for comp. However, I would prefer the 17L to either of those, with a 34 a very close second. I shoot my 17L a little more accurately than my 17 when shooting at a similar speed. Nothing against ported guns, I have some, I just prefer the longslide models.

6. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I have a 34 and 17 but no compensated models. I Shoot my 34 better that my 17, but i suspect that is because i shoot it more.

All things being equal for GSSF type shooting i don't see any advantage for the 34 over the 17. If i shot my 17 more i would probably be better with it than the 34.

If your doing longer range precision work say 50 yards or longer I am more accurate with my 34.
    (On a side note)
    I shoot my 26 the least, and i have won 2 guns with it and only 1 with my 34.(I have faster times with my 34 but so does everyone else.) So Sight radius and muzzle flip may not be as important as you think if your trying to win guns.

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i finished first 5 times in Amature divisions shooting a .40. Muzzle flip I think most will agree is greater with the .40 and I still managed to finish first. I don't think the ports or extra weight of a long slide will make any great match winning difference in the 9mms.

8. mike g35

mike g35

I prefer a 40 to the 9mm and I know that most don't for GSSF but I shoot what I like. I don't think it matters what you shoot as long as you are comfortable with it and you spend alot of time on the range firing it. Dry fire practice is a great way to improve your shooting as well. I saw shooters with subcompacts (Ed:supergrin:) out shooting the guys with standard and competiton size guns at my last (and 1st) match. That being said I think if I were you I would buy which ever one I planned to shoot the most and could afford the most ammo for. The C model only inhibits you from shooting other divisions with it so if it was me I would pass.

9. SMLR

SMLR

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to go with the G34. I already have a G17 as my primary competition gun and wanted to try something different.

It's too bad G17Ls are no longer available on match certificates as that would have been my first choice.

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

if you have a cert ask GSSF. i think if they have the 17L you can get it, it's just not printed on the certs since most times GSSF doesn't have the 17L or 24s to use as award guns.

11. mike g35

mike g35

Either way I think you are making a good decision. If you want a compensated gun buy a threaded barrel and put a real comp. on it.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Changing to a threaded barrel and screw on comp is NOT Legal in Competition Category. His opening statement asked about gun choice for Competition Category.:faint:

Don

13. mike g35

mike g35

I forgot the OP was talking about the Competition division I have Unlimited on my brain as usal. But what I was really getting at is the C model doesn't have a true comp. in my opinion. They look cool but don't really function.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

me too. I shoot my G34 way better than my G17.
    Greg