G19C Muzzle Flash

Discussion in 'GATE Info & Announcements' started by jeepjrn, Mar 27, 2018.

1. jeepjrn

jeepjrn

I have a G19C gen4 and I’m concerned with the muzzle flash after dark as I use it as my EDC. Question, before spending money I don’t have right now on another non compensated model, could I simply change to the standard Glock 19 barrel (Glock #6997) without creating any problems or concerns being used in conjunction with the stock C model vented slide and recoil spring. I really can’t think of any but looking for some reassurance of others opinions. Thank you!

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Yes, a normal/stock Glock 19 barrel (use the same generation) should drop into your G19C and function normally. I've done this with my Gen3 G19C without any problems. You may see a slight difference in the point-of-impact, but this is normal when you switch barrels in ANY type of pistol.

However, I'll also mention that with carefully selected defensive loads, flash from the ports is almost completely eliminated, and even in the worst cases is so brief it doesn't have a huge or lasting effect on the shooter's vision. Any flash from the ports occurs ABOVE the plane of the sights (see photo, below), so it actually blocks less of the target than normal muzzle flash in un-ported barrels.

FlashComparison.jpg

The above photos were fired with the cheapest bargain-basement ammo we could find, as that kind of ammo usually has the worst flash. Premium defensive ammo has flash retardant added to the gunpowder, and produces so little flash that usually there was nothing I was able to photograph. You see a faint/dim, orange-ish color flash, like burning charcoal, and that's all.

3. jeepjrn

jeepjrn

Hello DJ, wonder if you can help me identify the stock Glock 19 gen 4 barrel. Glock lists 2 9mm barrels for a gen 4 G19. One is part #3577 Original for gen 1-4 prior to CHP. The other is G19 9mm part #6997 for CHP or newer var1 slides only gen 1-4. How would I identify which barrel to order, both are the identical price as well. Thank you so much for your detailed reply and explanation, very much appreciate your time and response. Thanks in advance for possibly answering my barrel question now as well.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Well, I guess I didn't know there were two different options for Gen4 G19 barrels.

I'm going to try to find a member with a current Glock Armorer certification to answer your question, so we'll have confidence we got the right answer.

5. jeepjrn

jeepjrn

Thank you so much, again, I much appreciate the help and support.