G19 Weapon's Light Tactics

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by F_G, Feb 19, 2010.

1. F_G

F_G

<HR style="COLOR: #8c735a; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->Ok, a bit long winded here..........

Always had my Sig P220, SureFire 6P and extra mag in HD mode. A few weeks back, had a bump in the night situation that required investigation. That's when I discovered a flaw in my HD set-up. Sometime prior, the wife/kids needed a flashlight for some extremely important reason and, "Hey, Dad keeps one right over there", here comes the part I just can't fathom, they didn't put it back when they were finished!..............I know, I couldn't believe it either:upeyes:.

So I head to the garage and get the trusty tactical mechanics flashlight with the uber-cool magnet attachment and a haunting yellowish beam effective to 1 or 2 feet and investigate the incident. I guess all my cussing when aforementioned 6P was missing must have scared them/it away.

This is when I decided to buy a Glock and attach the light right to it (my Sigs are fairly old and no rails, besides, great excuse to buy a new Glock:supergrin:), doubtful the wife will grab that to go rifling through the attic. Agonize a couple of weeks on which light to get TLR-1 vs WX150 vs X300 vs......................decided on the WX150 and attached it to the G19........NICE!!!

Now for the questions I have. How do most manipulate the light? Trigger finger? Weak hand thumb? Weak hand index finger? Some other appendage? While my trigger finger works great and is the easiest and requires no fumbling with my grip, my gut instinct tell me that's the one finger that shouldn't be multi-tasking. What do you guys do?

2. wax32

wax32 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't own a weapon mounted light. Weak thumb sounds like the way I'd prefer to activate it if I did tho. Having no kids I don't have a moving flashlight problem, but I did be sure to tell my wife not to move the Surefire I keep next to my gun. I have flashlights all over the house to make sure she doesn't have to use this one. :D

3. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Have you been to Wal-Mart recently?

The G19 has a TLR-1, but I don't keep it on the nightstand because I know I'm likely to blow my kids away the first time they startle me asking for a drink of water. What I do keep next to me is my Surefire LED Defender. I carry it in my pocket on my person all the time, but it goes there beside me at night.

The girls don't mess with it, because I've bought them all the Coleman outdoors LED light from Wal-Mart, and my firstborn has an Engergizer LED headlight.

Something like this one:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Cree-XLamp-XR-E-LED-Flashlight-3-AAA/10196618

Only the one I got cost 18 bucks. Cheap, yet actually really nice and it keeps them away from my stuff.

I use the trigger finger on the TLR-1. Blind the opponent then fill him with lead.

4. Hedo1

Hedo1

I only have weapons mounted lights on my shotgun and carbine length AR. I just don't like them on pistols and prefer to carry a flashlight. The bright LED ones are cheap enough to have several.

Here's the thing, in your own home, your better off turning on the lights. It's hard to shoot well with just a flashlight for illumination on or off the gun. It's not like your going to sneak up on the invader, light him up, and start shooting. IMO your better off staying in your room, with the family, turning all the lights on you can reach and waiting for the bad guy to enter your kill zone. My two cents.

With my weapons mounted lights I prefer to activate them with the off hand only.

5. sapper1911

sapper1911

I love the gun mounted light. However, it does not replace the handheld flashlight, only supplements it. I don't use it primarily for searching but for illuminating a target once one is found. This gives you an advantage in being able to keep your muzzle and light in the general direction of the target while you use your free hand to call 911, use a radio, hold back your dog, eat a snack, ect. Also it is an immediate back-up to your handheld if your batteries die or your kids burry it in the back yard without your knowledge. The beam is wide enough to illuminate the area while keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As far as how to operate it, the answer is D - all of the above. The week hand thumb is best if you can, either in momentary for quick looks or flick it to constant on. However, I practice operating it with my trigger finger for one hand operation just as I practice one hand shooting. This is the performed method for shield work but can be utilized for other one hand applications. Try em out with a red gun and your light if you can. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Finally, I would recommend checking out Clint Smith&#8217;s DVD &#8220;Defensive Tactics&#8221; that cover&#8217;s handheld and gun mounted light use for home defense. <o:p></o:p>

6. F_G

F_G

Thanks for the advice. I am well versed in the Ayoob method and absolutely agree there is no substitute for a hand held light. I just wanted a good backup plan in case the 6P gets legs and walks off again.

Again, thanks for the replies.

7. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

In my house, I almost completely disagree with everything you said. Unfortunately, my daughter's bedrooms are on the other end of the house from me. If an intruder(s) break in, I'm going to go on the hunt, using the darkness and the knowledge of my house layout against them. The TLR-1 and Surefire Defender both have blinding hotspots in the middle, trust me I had my wife test them out on me. The TRL-1 hotspot is small enough to make a great targeting assistant. Wherever it lights is pretty much where the bullets will go.

8. bigleaf

bigleaf

While I carry a G26, my bedside G19 has the mounted GTL10 from Glock. It's a conventional bulb, not a super bright LED... not quite as bright as the SureFire G2 that's on the bedside table, but it's focusable (do that before you need it) and when it's pitch black, the SureFire pointed away from me is almost blinding to me! I want the OTHER guy to be blinded. I want to be able to see and shoot if I have to.

There are night sights on the 19, too, so I practice in the dark lining up the sights and hitting the switch with the weak hand thumb. I use a thumbs forward grip anyhow, so my left thumb is right there. It's a pretty natural thing with any practice at all. And it sure shows a nice sights silhouette against the lit background. I can still light up the creek behind the house with the GTL10 if I ever need to, and it's a perfect fit to the gun. And it uses 123 lithium batteries, like most tac lights and dot sights, so batteries are no problem.

I've got to give a shameless plug to PowerPax (powerpax.com) for their fabulous battery holders. Yeah, I know, battery holders?!? Isn't that what the factory packaging is for? Take a look. I've got them for 123s, AAAs, and even one that's glow-in-the-dark, Dorky? Perhaps. Easy to find? Oh, yeah. And they keep the batteries from losing charge, keeps them handy, and they're tough as nails. They're in both cars, the closet, and that little backpack we keep handy. I don't know anyone there, I just buy their products, but the products are great. My wife even loves them. And she has good taste. ;-)

So, long story short... thumbs forward grip, night sights aligned, weak thumb to briefly illuminate, pull through the trigger, and call 911. That's the plan, anyhow.

9. F_G

F_G

That's exactly what I've been practicing, changed my grip a bit to thumbs forward and can manipulte the light without adjusting my grip. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

10. Hedo1

Hedo1

Dreamaster,

Too each his own and I wish you well if you ever have to do that. Everyone has to make their own decisions on how to defend their homes. However it's not all that easy shooting with a light and most people never practice it or bother to learn how to do it. Many folks tunnel vision in on the hotspot of a flashlight beam. It's more practical to flood the area with your light and get the silhouette of your handgun inside the silhouette of the target. Faster and you aren't limiting your field of view. Focusing on the beam and aligning your sights will take time.

A one man stalk has a low probability of success. Consider sending the wife to get your child and return to your room, or both of you going to her room and defending. Defenders have a huge advantage in a gunfight.

11. W4CNG

W4CNG

I have a TLR-1 on one of my G-19's. I also carry a Pocket Light that can be used so I do not point my G-19 towards someone I might shoot at. When that decision is made I will likely turn on the weapon light and shoot them to the ground using both hands.