GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a gen3 19 rtf for my bedside gun. I have a 23rtf with a light mounted and have experienced more failures to feed than I'm comfortable with. I've had Surefire and Streamlight mounted. FMJ and factory HP rounds all seem to foul at some point with the light.
I have used this gun at GSSF matches and it runs without issue (no WML). I know the .40 has trouble with mounted lights, I've seen it first hand. Does the gen3 19 have any known WML issues?

·
Resident Misanthrope
452 Posts
The light issue is pretty specific to the 40 cal and very prominent in the Gen 3's. I haven't had nor seen similar issues with the 9mm.

In fact, out of curiosity I had an early Gen 3 G-22 that was a jam-o-matic with a light, and dropped a 9mm conversion barrel and had zero issues with the exact same setup in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm thinking about a gen3 19 rtf for my bedside gun. I have a 23rtf with a light mounted and have experienced more failures to feed than I'm comfortable with. I've had Surefire and Streamlight mounted. FMJ and factory HP rounds all seem to foul at some point with the light.
I have used this gun at GSSF matches and it runs without issue (no WML). I know the .40 has trouble with mounted lights, I've seen it first hand. Does the gen3 19 have any known WML issues?
I did have some stovepipes on my G19 Gen 3 while having a Streamlight TLR8 mounted on it but determined that the problem was that I had tightened the mount screw too much. Something to be aware of. Apart from that, no problems. I have a G22 that has been flawless with a TLR1 attached. The .40 Glock/WML issue is a known issue that affects on some G22s and G23s but not all. Very weird and mysterious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have a Gen 4 17 and 19. 17 is duty gun. 19 is off duty. Both have TLR-1. Never an issue. Thousands of rounds. Just finished a red dot course using both. No issues.

Tighten screw of TLR finger right, then 1/8-1/4 further turn.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a gen5 19 and 34. Both have lights mounted. None have had failures, with thousands of rounds fired. Both have been through classes and competitions as well

·
MacGyver
7,201 Posts
Seems like the Glock "Big Foot, Loch Ness" topic. Often discussed, but specifics rarely pinned down. Can we all be specific on what kinds of failures, and details, we are having as to make sure we are all playing the same card game?

What kind of lights were used?
How much torque was placed on the screw?
What type of failures? (one person's failure is not necessarily the same as another's)
2 handed grip changes dramatically when there is a WML- could your grip or hold style be affecting the operation? Yes, recoil affect on grip is more so on a 40/10 vs 9mm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's actually why I joined Glock Talk. Early on my 23 failed to feed Gold Dots and HSTs with a Sure Fire x300 mounted. It fed FMJ rounds ok with light on and fed everything with the light off. finally tried some Winchester PDX rounds. They fed well enough for me to be comfortable with the combination. Empty rounds always ejected but the next round always looked like it wasn't brought up quick enough for the slide to catch it. Round was partially in the chamber/feed ramp and partially hung under the slide. I used new and old recoil springs, i used wolf +power mag springs and could never get the Gold Dots or HSTs to work. Recently put on a Streamlight TLR8 just past finger tight. Tried a couple mags of the PDX and they fed. This weekend shooting some FMJ with light on had two failures to feed with two different mags. That led me back here... again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’m sure I’m in the minority here but I like and use the Glock GTL 21. Haven’t had any issues with it. Now that its getting dark earlier I’d like to shoot with it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have studied the GLOCK .40 S&W malfunctions with WML's, ad nauseam, for my department. Gen 3's and 4's. I could never get many of them to cycle reliably with WML's. I tried many WML's, many different methods of tightening/loosening/clip ons/screw ons... . We issue 165 gr. HST and most tests were with that. Some other ammo tested did better, but it was still not acceptable reliability for duty weapons with WML's attached.

Without WML's those same G22/23's were flawless !! It finally resulted in us switching to 9mm and .45 ACP GLOCKs. I suspect that this well known issue of unreliability of .40 S&W GLOCKs with WML's had a lot to do with the beefing up of Gen 5 GLOCK 22's and 23's. I hope that solves the problem for them.

During my tests I found NO issues with any 9mm or .45 ACP GLOCKs with WML's. I did not test other caliber GLOCKs i.e. .357 SIG, .45 GAP or 10mm.

In summary, I wouldn't sweat using a WML with your G19. It should work just fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i guess i'm back in the market for another glock. thanks all who read and helped.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’d be interested to know if you installed a Glock tactical light what would happen.

·
MacGyver
7,201 Posts
It's actually why I joined Glock Talk. Early on my 23 failed to feed Gold Dots and HSTs with a Sure Fire x300 mounted. It fed FMJ rounds ok with light on and fed everything with the light off. finally tried some Winchester PDX rounds. They fed well enough for me to be comfortable with the combination. Empty rounds always ejected but the next round always looked like it wasn't brought up quick enough for the slide to catch it. Round was partially in the chamber/feed ramp and partially hung under the slide. I used new and old recoil springs, i used wolf +power mag springs and could never get the Gold Dots or HSTs to work. Recently put on a Streamlight TLR8 just past finger tight. Tried a couple mags of the PDX and they fed. This weekend shooting some FMJ with light on had two failures to feed with two different mags. That led me back here... again.
How much training do you have in handguns shooting? Shooting for 20 years does not mean you don't have terrible shooting habits.
Did you test shooting the pistols while engaging the lights, or just shooting like in daylight? What about one handed-- how about the other hand?
What style of grip do you use? Where is that support hand and what is it doing? Do you use a relaxed grip, or a death grip?

I'm not trying to offend....but trying to come up with reasons (hypotheses) on why a frame mounted WML should be affecting the slide's mechanics only on 40SW Glock guns---but not all Glock 40's, but only with certain owners/testors. The only variables that are poorly controlled (wildcards) are the owners/testors, how the gun is mounted, how the testing is done, and the ammo. We know 40/10 have snappier recoil than 9/45...is that a factor?

Your ammo seemed to be stuck halfway up the ramp. Is the the same type of malfunction the other Big Foots are seeing? Is that a typical "limp wrist" failure?

There is no denominator-- so if we are seeing 2000 Glock 22 guns do this out of 2 million, that is 0.1% of Glock 22's doing this, and 99.9% of Glocks not affected.
Glock, as a company should know the true prevalence of this-- if they are transparent, we would know why, but there is no reason for them to be transparent, so we may never know.

My idiot opinion:: forget the WML Glock 40SW, compromise with a WML on a different gun without internet discussions (not necessarily meaningful), or just a Glock 9mm with a WML. Or if you really must have a Glock 40SW with a WML, test it to your satisfaction-- if it works VOILA!- if it doesn't, then fall back to square one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When my dept. went to gun mounted lights it was on our Gen 3 G22 40 caliber pistols and we experienced what you are talking about. That was years ago and if I recall correctly it was an easy fix. You need to stick stronger springs in your magazine, as the light does not allow the frame to flex as much so it needed the extra power to get the rounds up so they feed.

Corey

·
Registered
360 Posts
We tried the stronger mag springs. It helped, but certainly did not cure the problem. BTW my last rounds of tests were with Gen 4 G22'23's and Gen 4 mags.

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,665 Posts
Have a 19 with TLR-1 and have not had any issues. I snug the mounting screw hand tight then maybe a 1/4 turn past with a coin.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's interesting to hear about the Gen4's. It's a fairly small sample size, but I haven't seen any feeding issues with Gen4 G22s or G23s with WML.

·
MacGyver
7,201 Posts
What a very odd problem to have with just the .40 cal.

Loch Ness sightings actually feed and drive the tourist commerce of that entire town. Unlikely for this issue topic to be resolved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts