close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 vs Kahr CW9 for carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brianr34, Feb 19, 2010.

1. brianr34

brianr34

I currently only have one handgun (G19) and have started carrying recently. I really like the G19, however it seems a little bit big and heavy (when fully loaded). I have been using a Raven Concealment holster (IWB)

I was looking at the Kahr CW9 as a carry gun based on the smaller size, lighter and slimmer dimensions. Ideally, I would like to own one handgun that can be used for carry, range, home defense and some IDPA.

Anyone have experience with the CW9? If so, I would appreciate feedback on carry use and overall quality.

2. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

If you can only own one handgun for carry, night stand gun, range shooting, I would say stick with the G19. I have a G19 and I also have a Kahr PM9, it depends on the way Im dressing and the situation as to which I will carry. I think they are both great guns but if I could only have one it would be the G19.

3. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

i agree, also have both, but if you cant have a 23 then stick with the G19 :wavey:

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Don't be in a big hurry to give up that capacity. 15+1 would be a huge advantage if you ever needed it.

5. WhoUtink

WhoUtink

If only one then the G19, if not, one of each. Oh , I love my G27, its hella small and concealable. And it shoots nice for plinking too.

6. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I have a Glock 23, great gun. I am picking up a Kahr CW40 for carry. I'm not concerned about going from 14 rounds to 7 rounds for carry. Since you want to go to a one gun system which will include IDPA you would probably be better off sticking with the G19.

7. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I owned (past tense) both. Make sure you can shoot the CW9 first. I had one, loved the sized, but just could not shoot it well. I never warmed up to it and sold it.

Have you considered a G26? Great carry gun, better capacity, and you can use your existing G19 mags.

8. Ol' Dirty

Ol' Dirty

I started carrying with a G19 and also bought a CW9 thinking the slim frame would hide better. I quickly learned that the length of the grip made a much bigger difference with concealability. The CW9 isn't a bad gun, it just won't do anything any better than your 19.

Do you really have to have only one gun? Keep the 19 and find yourself a nice little snubby for those days where you want deeper concealment. Get some speed loaders and shoot IDPA with it too.

9. flagg

flagg

I love my G19 but imagine the Kahr would be a dream to carry (in comparison)

10. drofnas

drofnas Senior Member

Go with the one you will actually carry.

If you find yourself leaving the G19 at home, then the Kahr is your piece. I would recommend sticking with the Glock, but if you won't take it, then 7+1 is better than none. (15+1 is much better though.) The Glock will be more fun to shoot, easier to shoot,

Especially in the summer I carry my Kel-Tec PF9, about the same size as the Kahr PM9. (fter my PM9 was stolen, I couldn't make myself pay for the Kahr again. The Kel-Tec has been flawless aside from being a bear in the hand to shoot. Wears a sore on my bottom thumb knuckle every time. The PM9 wasn't much fun to shoot either. Great guns though.)

I try to carry my G26 with a 17 round back-up mag as much as possible. The KT comes out when the Glock is too thick.

11. ChipM

ChipM

G19 unless there is a good reason you can't carry it. Beyond that, go with a G26.

I have a Walther P99 (same size as G19) that I picked up after my CW9. I recently traded the Kahr for a P99C (same size as G26) because I wanted the same controls on both of my guns. I only carry the compact (was CW9, now P99C) when I absolutely must wear clothes that don't work with the P99.

As it turns out, the P99C actually conceals BETTER than the CW9. Grip thickness doesn't matter nearly as much as grip length. The shorter grip is the way to go.

So, in summary, first go G19, then go G26.

12. toddmog

toddmog

I have both and carry them in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry the CW9 about 90% of the time though.

I will carry the G19 for a couple of days and think to myself "thats easy enough". I'll go back to the CW9 and think "why do I keep going back to the G19".

I live in a small town so the Kahr is my EDC...I break out the Glock when I go to the "big city".

13. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll take the Glock every single time. And if the G19 is too big I'll take a G26. Reliability, durability, capacity....yeah, I'll take that.

I EDC a Glock 19. Used to be a G26

14. Streetking

Streetking NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol

whatever you do stay away from the CW45. A real loser.

15. Scouse

Scouse

When a friend told me that is what you have to fire through the Kahr, to guarantee reliability? I said 4 boxes of Ammo; No and No!

The job I am on at this time has a partner in it, not such a gun person, but very sharp.

On Saturday we went to a gun store, S&W 9mm in, Glock 19 LE blue box out!

An hour on the range, did real well, one failure to feed, he was holding it like a wee girl, one demo; fixed.

Magazine after magazine, round after round, at 5 yd, bullet on bullet, head shots over and over. "More is better always"... 16 rounds of 127g WW Ranger.

Thoughts on carrying a Glock19? dress armed.

16. Golddog

Golddog

I've owned both. The CW9 is lighter and slimmer, which makes it much more comfortable to carry in a variety of situations. But I nevertheless sold it because the 19's trigger is vastly easier to shoot well; the CW9, while smooth enough, was too long and heavy. Also, because I have longish fingers, I could never get a proper grip on the CW9. My trigger finger got tangled up with my support hand unless I was very deliberate, which is not an asset in an emergency.

One more consideration: While my CW9 was completely reliable from the outset, the general consensus seems to be that Glocks are much more likely to be 100% out of the box.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look at it this way, your life is in immediate danger....which one would you rather have in hand?

I of course pick the G19 without question, and since I can reliably and comfortably carry it....

18. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I used to own a CW-40. Carried like a dream...even with an inferior department store belt. I no longer own this Kahr due to some issues I had with it.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought the CW-9 and not ever looked back.

I currently have a M&P9c for carry... And many times, I find that to be too heavy for comfortable carry. (I know that a better belt will help this)

But I carry my J-frame revolver most of the time due to size, weight, and ease of concealment.

If capacity is your hang up, then you'll not like the Kahr. If concealment and comfort are at a premium, I whole-heartedly suggest the Kahr CW-9.

At 7+1 , sure you're down on a lot of semi-autos. Another 7 in your pocket in that nice slim single-stack magazine is nice, too...

Comparing a G19 and a Kahr CW pistol is almost like comparing apples to Chinese gooseberries.

-J-

19. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Heck either. The gun is far less important than the shooter. Either the CW19 or the G19 will save your hide if you are unfortunate enough to need it.