G19 vs. G26 much different accuracy?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Dr_fast, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

For anyone who feels they can make an informed comment, do you feel there is a substantial difference in accuracy between the G19 and G26? At what range do you feel that difference in accuracy becomes certainly apparent if you feel there is one?

2. rds95991

rds95991

Anecdotally, the G26 is one of the most accurate of the Glocks. It has been attributed to the dual recoil spring arrangement. I believe some of the best of the GSSF shooters have made their runs with the G26.

That said, unless the gun fits you and you are comfortable with it, it can be the most accurate gun in the world and it still won't be able to do its best in your hands.

I've had outstanding groups with mine, but when it comes to speed shooting with it, I suck. I have to change my grip after every shot, something not conducive for combining speed and accuracy. Never the less, I will continue to try.

EDIT:

I should note that you can compete in more divisions with a 26 than with a 19.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Aslan and Dr_fast like this.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I've never shot a 500 indoors with a subcompact only 498s. There is no real difference in accuracy between and sizes only shooters skill level
    To take advantage of the guns potential.

Dr_fast likes this.
  4. battousai

battousai

Personally. There is a good jump in distance accuracy for me between the 19 - 26 sans finger rest is what I attribute it to. Because the Glock 17 is marginal from 19/26. The 26-34 has the biggest accuracy jump for me.

It has in your defense, and mine. Been years since I have shot both side by side. In my current skill set. It might be safe to say that I shoot both "great" at targets within 15 yards. But for right at 15-25 yards requires a lot of practice with any gun in regards to where to hold, grip, ammo selection. Notice we are shooting for groups + accuracy + time not just groups or accuracy or time. So it would take time for me to figure out something that specific to be really fair with you. Probably 200 rounds for each gun if not 300-500 per gun to get a really solid idea of what I shoot better. It might also take two range trips to rule out having a good or bad day at the range.

Keep in mind, a lot of these people who walk in saying "so n so top shooter wins a match with a 26." Yeah, it's great a professional, highly recognized shooter can win a match with a sub compact against people who shoot a fraction of what they do with possibly worse ammo. In other words, there is more to their skill then the 26, or the shooter, they likely have volume of practice and ammo selection over us as well. If the equipment was equal, they still win, but if the volume of training was equal, I would say it could be more competitive with the edge going to them.

So to recap. Within 15 yards. With the bellow average to average shooter wont notice a difference. Outside of 15 yards, the 19 will pull ahead with the average Joe (which is what I consider myself.) If you are average/above average. You will experiment with where to hold and possibly decide the groups even if competitive don't matter.

Finally, the 19 / 26 is essentially the same gun minus grip length. So it comes down to how you hold and enjoy compact / sub compacts. My personal opinion, buy 1k rounds of ammo. Shoot both 500 rounds at 15 / 25 yards and decide. You may decide very early on that the 26 is as accurate as you want it to be.

Still own my 26, but I carry the 19. No discernible difference to group sizes and accuracy for me. I want the extra 5 rounds more. Which aren't needed in a GSSF match to be fair.

5. rds95991

rds95991

In GSSF, you can shoot in more divisions with a 26 than with a 19. Okay, one more division.

And if they can shoot great with any gun, why would they choose a subcompact instead of a compact or full size if it makes it harder? There is a reason they are shooting the 26.

I'm thinking maybe sight alignment times. With an 8"? A ring, close may be good enough for GSSF ranges.

battousai likes this.
  6. battousai

battousai

Sure there is a reason. After the tens of thousands of rounds they shoot more. There might be something they like about the overall ergo's of a 26 that they just prefer it.

I don't think it comes down to fairy dust though. Some people make it sound like the 26 is flat out more accurate and um. Well I am willing to bet it isn't. However, the combination of accuracy, time, and preference with ergos make an experienced shooter shoot it to it's potential.

People make it sound like the Glock 26 does something "magical" that no other Glock does. When in reality, it was designed to be a Glock.

7. PM720

PM720

The theory that I have read is that the subcompact frames are stiffer so they are a bit more accurate. I know that all of my Glocks are far more accurate that me so I will take the longest sight radius I can get for a given division.

8. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

What I have found is whatever works best for you and not what someone else shoots. I have gone from G17, G26 and now I shot the G19 better than the G26 or the G17. 6 months from now I might shoot one of the other two better.

9. Shooter64

Shooter64

I tried the 17, 19, 26, and 34 for a months or years. The 19 won out for me.

10. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

I have both and the accuracy is about the same.

Dr_fast likes this.
  11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I shoot the G19 better than the G26. That said, I have some weakness setting in from a sedentary job, Type II and not getting up and moving my lardass. If I am "on" on a particular day the G26 is plenty accurate, good enough to get doubles pretty often, if I am not then the better grip and longer sight radius of the G19 helps me steer the bullets better.

The G30 and G26 would be my bets for most accurate Glocks if enough of them could be fired from a mechanical rest to determine it beyond a doubt.

12. MajorD

MajorD

I find for me there is no difference in accuracy or speed ( the second half of the gssf performance equation) between a 26 and 19. I have taken some classes with respected instructors and was the only one who showed up with a 26 which they felt would "handicap" me but as it turned out I was just as fast and accurate as the top shooters in the class with full sized. In gssf the targets are so large ( compared to what I grew up with in bullseye competition) that minimal incremental improvements in accuracy between pistol models is meaningless.

13. rds95991

rds95991

To me, the G19 has a better grip and is more comfortable. The G26 has a shorter sighting radius so that it lines up a little quicker, at least for me.

At the ranges GSSF has setup and the size of the A ring, the loss of accuracy due to the sight radius distance is as critical as the speed of acquiring the target.