G19 vs G23, Shot both for the first time today

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NewGlocker28, Jan 9, 2010.

1. NewGlocker28

NewGlocker28

Hello all. I had never shot a firearm before this afternoon and I went down to a local range with an experienced shooter. I'm going to be making a purchase for home defense, range use and possibly conceal carry down the line. We rented a G23 and G19 to try to figure what would suit us best. First I was shocked to find out that apparently I am left eye dominant. It felt very odd to hold a gun in my left hand and it felt much more natural, firm and secure in my right, but there was no denying it, my accuracy was much better when I shot from the left. Anyone else ever go through this?

Second. After doing more than a little research I really thought the G19 was going to be best for me. I had read a lot about the "snappiness" of the g23 and .40 round. Shooting both the G19 and the G23 back to back, I felt very little difference, as did my experienced friend (who had also never shot either of those particular guns). Also my accuracy was probably a little better with the 23 as well.

Looks like it will be a G23 and maybe down the line some .357 and 9mm conversion barrels and magazines for more range fun.

Anyone have any thought especially to the lack of difference in recoil between the 19 and 23 and my apparent left eye dominance?

2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

If between the 2 the recoil of the G23 doesn't bother you then I would say get it. If you get the G19 now later on you're going to spend more money getting a G23 anyways. I think the G23 is a great balance of Power, and Capacity in a very user friendly package as far as size and weight.

My younger brother is left eye dominant but right handed so I know what you mean as far as shooting. What we found worked best for him was to shoot right handed but cant his head slightly to the right so his left eye is the main one being used. Now he has no issues shooting.

Good luck with your decision. :wavey:

3. conpro

conpro

I would get the g19 its the best on the market for reliability and fit.

4. beancounter81

beancounter81

I'm also right handed / left eye dominant and this is what I do as well. I think you will like the G23. I have a G22 and G27 and love them both.

5. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

:agree:

6. napp32

napp32

I have a G32 with the 9mm conversion barrel; and I was surprised at how little difference there is in felt recoil between the 9 mm and the .357 SIG. When shooting my son's G23, I don't notice any difference between the .40 cal and my .357 SIG.

My wife didn't shoot a lot; but she would occasionally go plinking with me. She was left eye dominant and right handed. It didn't create a large problem with handguns; but watching her to try and shoot a long gun was something to behold.

7. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Both are great-I like the 40s&w round so I got the 23
    The 9mm is not a wet mouse fart:whistling: and is a cheap sweet shootin round
    Did mention I like the 40s&w? the second cheapest

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

The G23 is less reliable and has a different fit? My G23 is ever bit as reliable as my G19 and is the exact same size.

9. Zertek

Zertek

10. LEAD

LEAD

Welcome to the glock 23, I am very happy with mine, loaded with 165gr Winchester Ranger Ts

11. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

My wife is right handed and left eyed. She has developed into a rather decent shot after we sorted out the issue and did a little training.

12. 23glock32

23glock32

Get the G23 you will love it

13. sciolist

sciolist

I wrestled with the same decision for my first pistol, and went with the 19. 9mm seems to get the nod in terms longevity/reliability, and then there are the cost and avilability of ammo to consider.

Guess I really don't see the up-side of the 23.

14. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

Both great choices for hardware. Best to decide soon and get on with
    developing "software" -- the skill that comes about through a lot of
    practice with good technique. Good luck!

15. ganymede

ganymede

I'm right handed and left eye dominant too. In fact my left eye dominance is so strong I cannot even shoot a long gun right handed. I find the best way of dealing with this is just moving the pistol a few inches over to the left when shooting. At first it feels a bit strange but with enough practice (dry practice and live fire) it will come naturally. Now everytime I bring the pistol up, it just automatically aligns with my left eye. I found this way a lot more efficient and consistent than cocking your head to one side, especially when you're shooting on the move. Its much better to position the pistol to where you want it than to position your body to meet the pistol (does that make sense?)

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I'm really surprised you noticed little difference in recoil between them. If that's the case, and you don't mind the price difference in ammo, get the 23.

I would wait to see when the Gen 4 23s are coming out though.

17. nickoglock1

nickoglock1

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

There's only one: 40 cal. If that doesn't matter get the 19 and save ammo $.

19. Just1More

Just1More

That's a funny comment. Do you have any data to back this up?

20. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I can agree with this. I have 9mm, .357 and .40 for the G27. I honestly can't say one is better/worse then the other. I was ready to be biased to the 9mm ..but not enough difference to make a judgement on.