Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Elite Member
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Glocks are Gen 3. The 19 has Ameriglo CAP sights and the 17 has Ameriglo iDots. Both Glocks have lone wolf 3.5lb disconnectors.

Took them both out back yesterday to compare them side by side. I wanted to compare them both on terms of shoot ability, accuracy, and target acquisition. The drill was 5 rounds from concealment in under 5 seconds. I was carrying owb covered by a jacket unzipped. This is how I normally carry in the winter.

It was 38 degrees, windy and clear.

The target was at 10 yards and was a large sheet of carboard with a series of black dots spaced every 12 inches or so.

I started out a little rusty. I hadnt shot for speed in a while. Right off the bat I was shooting the 19 better than the 17. I was also faster with 19. I chalked this up to the fact that I shoot the 19 more. I fired 10 groups with each pistol for a total of 50 rounds each.

My average group for the 17 was 4.5" with all groups under 6 inches.

My average group for the 19 was 4" with all groups under 5 inches.

Ironically the best group of the day was with the 17 at 2 7/8" and smallest with the 19 was right at 3".

All in all I found out what I needed to work on. I just need to get faster and would like to see the average goup size shrink. My goal is to be able to get down to 2" groups. Again this just comes with practice. I can do it slow fire, though.

I am a bit surprised by the results because I thought I'd shoot a bit better with the 17 then the 19.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have both in Gen 4. The 17 feels like they used my hand to mold the frame. But, my 19 is a tack driver and I get back on target faster with it. The 17 is accurate, too, but not as accurate as the 19.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've owned and own several Glocks in different calibers. I have always shot my G17 Gen2 the best. Very accurate and tight groups with the 17. I recently purchased a G19 Gen5, and I like you compared them at the range this past weekend and I out shot myself with the 19. I have had the G17 for years and have had several since the early 90's, but this is my first 19 and it was the first time I had shot it. New and out of the box and it out shot my G17 Gen2. I'm now sold on the 19 and won't turn back.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Its all about personal ergonomics.

There is less than a half-inch difference in barrel-length AND sight-radius, so the inherent accuracy has a negligent difference.

There may be something to the huge popularity world-wide for the G19

Reactions: Quigley

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I shoot the 19 better than the 17 or 34 with the same sights. I believe the reason is a combination of having more trigger time with the 19 and the ergonomics of the grips. The grip hump at the lower back of the grip of the 17 and 34 I believe to be the biggest difference between shooting a 19 vs. 17 sized frame.

Reactions: Quigley
1 - 14 of 14 Posts