Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
G43 G19
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hang my head in shame when I admit it's been awhile since I went shooting. Stuff happens, son is a bit of a picky eater, laundry bombs and stuff. So off I went to the gun-shooting place and then I came home (after shooting there (at the range) that is)).

I shot fine, but kinda slow. Lots of recoil; more than I remember anyway, and all while using the same ammo that I'm used to. A bit harder to see owing to the affects of some macular degeneration. Sigh... there's only one explanation: I'm at the age where I begin yelling "Get off my lawn".

I decided to reevaluate my SD carry ammo. A week later I compared and contrasted various types of ammo in my two Glocks : My G19 and my G43 with a +2 extension. My cartridges were Speer JHP's of 124gr (364 ft*lbf), 124gr +P (410 ft*lbf), and 147gr (317 ft*lbf). I also shot Hornady Critical Defense 115gr (332 ft*lbf). And wait, there's more. Some Federal ball ammo at about 330 ft*lbf and some Sellier^Ballet (or something like that) that I think says it's about 370 ft*lbf or so but it's based on a 6-inch barrel).

I took my time to aim well and most of my shots were goodish (for me anyway (5-inch groups at 7 yards). Some Glock/Ammo combinations were very calm, soft and pleasant to shoot - and shoot quickly. Others were unpleasant. Some hurt my hand just a smidgen.

So for fun I estimated how much each pistol weighed fully loaded (and I carry my G43 with +2 Barracuda extension (they have nice grooves for your pinky for the G43 model)). I found this... how should I put it... perfect website called glock.com where it gives the full weight of a loaded gun. Here is the data.

(Empty Glock 43 585g)
Full +2 Glock 43 642g
Full Glock 19 855g

So now the fun begins. I made notes of how nice it felt to fire each of the rounds and which pistol I was using. I am presupposing that if I divide the weight of the full pistol by the ft*lbf of the bullets I will get a number which I can associate with the "niceness" of the shooting experience.

Full G43 +2: 642g/410ft*lbf = 0.65 Arrrgh! Ouch!
Full G43 +2: 642g/364ft*lbf = 0.58 It's OK. Followup shots are slow.
Full G43 +2: 642g/326ft*lbf = 0.52 I think I like this.

Full G19: 855g/410ft*lbf = 0.48 I like this but a bit slow on followups.
Full G19: 855g/364ft*lbf = 0.43 Pleasant to shoot. Shot quickly.
Full G19: 855g/326ft*lbf = 0.38 Soft and snuggly like a warm cat.

So I am aiming for a Pleasant Factor of around 0.43 to 0.46 maybe. I'm not sure this Pleasant Factor is possible in the Glock 43 +2 (but the Glock 43X could probably get there). For my G19 I could drop from my usual 410ft*lbf to the 364ft*lbf. Problem solved.

But... there's more! Given that I'm going to procure a new Glock to put under a new Red Dot, I thought "instead of running cooler ammo, why not get a heavier Glock and keep the ft*lbf of the bullets about the same?"

Full Glock 23 (40 cal) 974g

The Glock 23 0.40 caliber has just about identical measurements to the Glock 19, except that it has a loaded weight of 974g (data once again from that perfect website I found). If I decide to shoot the Federal HST 180gr which has an energy of 408ft*lbf, well, let's see what we get...

Full G23: 974g/408ft*lbf = 0.42 PF (pleasant factor).

On my personally-calibrated Pleasant Factor Curve, this combination will put me in the "Pleasant to shoot" category.

So given that I'm going to purchase a new MOS'ed Glock anyway, should I get the G19 or the G23?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You're thinking about this wrong; your strength is a finite factor and the weight of the gun is only an element of the equation, not the half of an equation you're making it out to be.

You're the internals of the battleship; the gun is firing the shells.

If you kept doubling the size of the guns on the USS Missouri, and doubled the force of the rounds, what would happen?

At a certain point you'd break the hull of the ship, right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hang my head in shame when I admit it's been awhile since I went shooting. Stuff happens, son is a bit of a picky eater, laundry bombs and stuff. So off I went to the gun-shooting place and then I came home (after shooting there (at the range) that is)).

I shot fine, but kinda slow. Lots of recoil; more than I remember anyway, and all while using the same ammo that I'm used to. A bit harder to see owing to the affects of some macular degeneration. Sigh... there's only one explanation: I'm at the age where I begin yelling "Get off my lawn".

I decided to reevaluate my SD carry ammo. A week later I compared and contrasted various types of ammo in my two Glocks : My G19 and my G43 with a +2 extension. My cartridges were Speer JHP's of 124gr (364 ft*lbf), 124gr +P (410 ft*lbf), and 147gr (317 ft*lbf). I also shot Hornady Critical Defense 115gr (332 ft*lbf). And wait, there's more. Some Federal ball ammo at about 330 ft*lbf and some Sellier^Ballet (or something like that) that I think says it's about 370 ft*lbf or so but it's based on a 6-inch barrel).

I took my time to aim well and most of my shots were goodish (for me anyway (5-inch groups at 7 yards). Some Glock/Ammo combinations were very calm, soft and pleasant to shoot - and shoot quickly. Others were unpleasant. Some hurt my hand just a smidgen.

So for fun I estimated how much each pistol weighed fully loaded (and I carry my G43 with +2 Barracuda extension (they have nice grooves for your pinky for the G43 model)). I found this... how should I put it... perfect website called glock.com where it gives the full weight of a loaded gun. Here is the data.

(Empty Glock 43 585g)
Full +2 Glock 43 642g
Full Glock 19 855g

So now the fun begins. I made notes of how nice it felt to fire each of the rounds and which pistol I was using. I am presupposing that if I divide the weight of the full pistol by the ft*lbf of the bullets I will get a number which I can associate with the "niceness" of the shooting experience.

So I am aiming for a Pleasant Factor of around 0.43 to 0.46 maybe. I'm not sure this Pleasant Factor is possible in the Glock 43 +2 (but the Glock 43X could probably get there). For my G19 I could drop from my usual 410ft*lbf to the 364ft*lbf. Problem solved.

But... there's more! Given that I'm going to procure a new Glock to put under a new Red Dot, I thought "instead of running cooler ammo, why not get a heavier Glock and keep the ft*lbf of the bullets about the same?"

The Glock 23 0.40 caliber has just about identical measurements to the Glock 19, except that it has a loaded weight of 974g (data once again from that perfect website I found). If I decide to shoot the Federal HST 180gr which has an energy of 408ft*lbf, well, let's see what we get...

On my personally-calibrated Pleasant Factor Curve, this combination will put me in the "Pleasant to shoot" category.

So given that I'm going to purchase a new MOS'ed Glock anyway, should I get the G19 or the G23?
Suggestion - examine your ammunition by Power Factor.

Calculation link:
Power Factor Calculator (dillonprecision.com)

Answer to your question - get the G19.

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,825 Posts
Felt recoil of a .40 will always be more than the comparable 9mm. G23 recoil will be hotter than the. G19's.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
As has already surfaced here, buying a G23 is NOT going to improve your situation, it will exacerbate it instead. A 40 S&W will have more recoil, since a G23 is identical with a G19, unless you go to a Gen 5 (as I understand about Gen 5 glocks, never seen/held one).
A heavier gun is your answer, either a G17 or a steel gun are probably your best options. Perhaps a S&W in their “Ez” line might work for you.
Maybe you can either work on your strength or recoil sensitivity as an alternative solution.
Hope that helps!

Ed

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Try shooting a CZ P10C. It's the same size as a G19 but the grip is WAY better. It feels smaller and requires less hand strength.

Reactions: Ahmid and Cambo

·
20,005 Posts

(Empty Glock 43 585g)
Full +2 Glock 43 642g
Full Glock 19 855g

The Gen 5 G23 will have softer recoil than previous generations owing to the heavier slide and add an optic and it should be even lighter. I've found that when I had both a G19 and a G23 or when shooting my current G23 with a KKM 40-to-9 conversion barrel that there was very little difference in felt recoil between Plus+P 9mm and standard pressure 180 grain 40 caliber and my gun especially likes the Hornady critical duty 175 grain ammo and I am most accurate with that ammo.

I wish Glock would offer the Gen 5 40 caliber guns with both the heavy slide and the thin slide. The thicker heavier slides aren't a problem with the full size G22 which is a duty gun meant to be carried OWB, but with the G23 and G27, which are already thick and chunky enough, making them thicker and heavier is somewhat self dfeating for the purposes of IWB concealed carry.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,959 Posts
As has been brought up, it seems you’re looking at the Gen5 G23, which has the fatter slide and heavier weight. The previous generation G23 were a copy of the G19 with a larger hole for the barrel and a different ejector.

The fatter slide of the Gen5 G23 does seem to absorb some of the recoil, versus the previous generations G23, but saying it’s softer shooting than a 9mm is a hard sell. Perhaps, when companies make appropriate conversion barrels, putting a 9mm conversion barrel in a fat slide G23.5 would be the ticket. From what I’ve seen, that time is not now.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I shot my G19 plenty in GSSF after switching to 9mm from .40 S&W. I reloaded my own ammo and I found that for the 9mm loads to be as accurate as my .40 S&W loads, I had to run them hotter, to the point that there was actually more recoil with the 9mm.

Interesting, but not really applicable to your situation. What is applicable is the fact that I now own a Gen 4 G23, Gen 5 G23, and a Gen 5 G19 MOS. The Gen 5 G23 feels the same as the Gen 5 G19 in terms of recoil.

There are other things you can do to reduce recoil as well, but I have not dabbled with those.

I'd give up the 2 rounds and go with the G23 Gen 5. You could always convert it to 9mm in the future for even more reduced recoil.

Just keep in mind that none of your G19 holsters will fit it, and they may not be available for the wider G23.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Nobody read the post. Everyone is replying based on the misleading title.

He's ok with his G19. It's the G43 that has too much recoil.

He's wondering if the G23 would fall between the G43 & the G19 for felt recoil.

Of course running mathematical calculations will never provide the real answer. Only shooting them side by side will.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
There is a LOT more to felt recoil than a simple power factor calculation. Even with the added weight of the G23 slide and the PF numbers landing in the pleasant range, the feel will be different. Beg, borrow, rent a G23 before you spend your $$ on one. Personally I hate 40. The snappy recoil literally hurts my hands. Granted, Ive broken and dislocated my fingers enough that I have arthritis, so YMMV. If a G19 is too much for you at this point, you may need to think outside the Glock empire and go with something that has bit more heft to eat up energy. Possibly even take a class or two to get some pointers on better grip and stance to help manage the energy more efficiently. Shooting more also helps, but there is a negative aspect if you're not managing recoil and develop a flinch. When I went from 45 to 40 the pain in my hands resulted in me developing a flinch that to this day comes back when I fall out of the training routine.

Glock's are great guns, but if they dont work for you they dont work for you. There are other platforms that can work and are just as reliable and available.

·
Registered
656 Posts

(Empty Glock 43 585g)
Full +2 Glock 43 642g
Full Glock 19 855g

Sounds to me like you’re coming off a bit of a break and just need to go shooting more to reacclimatize. Give it a bit more time. Other pistols/calibers will be there if you still need something different IMHO. I went through something similar a few years ago, and improved quickly after I made the commitment to practice more. FWIW, My Dad is 77, shoots every week or so, and can put an absolute death grip on a G19.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,959 Posts
Nobody read the post. Everyone is replying based on the misleading title.

He's ok with his G19. It's the G43 that has too much recoil.

He's wondering if the G23 would fall between the G43 & the G19 for felt recoil.

Of course running mathematical calculations will never provide the real answer. Only shooting them side by side will.
I’m not sure why you think no one read the OP. The G23 does not fall between the G43 and G19, which has been answered, many times.

Reactions: Theo19
1 - 20 of 107 Posts