close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 sprung too heavy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hummerbike, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

I bought my wife a gen 4 Model 19 last week. The return spring assembly is way too heavy compared to my Model 23 and my 1911 45 acp. It is a little uncomfortable for her to work the slide. She will only shoot about 3 to 4 hundred rounds a year in this gun.
    I'd like to replace the RSA with one with a lower poundage.
    When I was shooting competition with 1911's this was common practice.
    Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this other then Glock knows what they are doing, don't mess with it?
    Who sells reduced poundage springs?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Several aftermarket companies make an adaptor ring to put into the muzzle hole in the slide that the guide rod seats into, which will allow you to use a Gen3 guide rod. Some are silver coated, others are coated black to match the slide. Then if you get an aftermarket Gen3 guide rod, you can put different weight springs on it. There are aftermarket guide rods coated silver and some black as well. The lowest I'd go for a G19 would be 15lbs, if I remember correctly factory weight for a Gen3 G19 is 18lbs. I have no idea what the factory weight is for a Gen4 G19.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

3. Birddog9

Birddog9 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's odd because I just bought a gen 4 19 and the slide was way easier to operate than my gen 4 23. Trigger was crisper and the mags seated easier. Seems to be a lot of variations in these gen 4's.

4. harleytech

harleytech

Gonna have to build up those muscles...LOL....
    :nsb:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. 153

For sure!

Seems like a bad idea to change the mechanicals of a handgun to accomodate the physical weakness of a shooter.

6. bill1725

bill1725

My wife has the same problem with the return spring on my G19 Gen4, so she ended up getting a Ruger 38 special revolver. I hate that but that is what she wanted.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Glock slides are always heavy IMO. That coupled with the fact that the slide serrations are not up to par with other guns and the slide can be VERY difficult to work when things are wet. Probably my #1 beef with Glocks.

If you want to feel what a rack SHOULD be like, try it on a Sig.

8. Taphius

Taphius

Hammer guns will always feel different than striker guns.

9. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Yes, they are stiffer. Add a few drops of oil and work the slide over and over.

I used to play with it a lot during my first month, and used to leave it open during the night.

It seems to have helped.

10. RRTX2007

RRTX2007

I've run a 15# in my G35 since nearly new. Thousands of rounds before .40 ammo was so highly priced and haven't been to the range or a match much since then but it's never failed to feed or fire.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. JerryC09

JerryC09

I have reduced grip strength due to dupeytren's contracture on my left hand and partial amps of my right ring finger and pinky. What works for me is gripping the middle of the gun by the top of the frame with my left hand and pushing the handle forward with my left hand. Works fine for me, might work well for anyone finding the spring too hard to retract against with the slide.

12. cciman

cciman

What's you theory there? Every gun is different-- choice of recoil spring is not always exact.

More muscles needed. Since she is only shooting 300-400 rounds/year, not worth worrying about it, or be a real Gent and give her your G23.

Here is a device that might help:
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1198

13. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

Well, I ended up ordering her an API charging handle from Amazon ($29). I'll try that before I change the spring weight.
    Next step is to drop spring weight to 15 lbs.
    I like the idea of a charging handle. You can rack the slide one handed if needed. You can rub the charging handle against your belt or a table top to work the slide.

14. Ford302Glock21

Ford302Glock21 Chrome Horsie

I think glock messed up by putting too strong a spring setup at least for the 19s. Most of the ejection problems I see and read about are telling me the spring was made too strong for the cheapie week target ammo. I think they tried to get a few birds with one stone by reducing felt recoil, making recoil spring last longer, and reduce frame battering with stout power rounds. Downside is it doesn't have enough juice to extract well with weak rounds. That's my theory anyways

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Me too. It is just as fast and if wet it makes little difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Not a theory - that's exactly what happened. Its the tradeoff for a nicer shooting gun.