close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 Slide Fading

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Old Junes, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Old Junes

Old Junes

I have a 3rd gen G19 and the color on the slide appears to be fading and turning a slight gray color. Someone told me that wiping the slide down with a rag coated in CLP would fix the problem. Have you guys seen this? What are your thoughts?

2. Scamp

Scamp Geaux Tigers!

Got any pictures? Wipe it down with some oil and see if that helps, if not send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you...:supergrin:

3. Old Junes

Old Junes

Haha... thanks but I think I'll hold on to it for now! :tongueout:

4. skt4271

skt4271

i hate that when i shoot, the carbon that blows back onthe gun below the slide gets ashy.

5. AK74play

AK74play

This is normal and I keep a slightly oiled wrag in a zip lock bag on my bench to wipe them down after cleaning or excessive handling. This is NOT needed for protection against rust on a Glock BUT keeps the finish looking new.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520

I'd imagine it's one of two things.
    1. The finish on the slide has a small amount of oil in it from the factory. That oil can leech out onto clothing, leather etc or it can evaporate. The finish is darker when it has oil in it, so as the oil disappears the finish looks lighter in color.
    2. The finish may be wearing away. It's normal, it'll wear away eventually anyway.

I always wipe the slide down with oil then wipe relatively dry - except around the extractor, firing pin safety, and breech face.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Lucky! Much better than the shiny finish.

8. Old Junes

Old Junes

Thanks guys! I'll just wipe the slide down from time to time and think of the discoloration as beauty marks! Thanks for the replies. :supergrin:

9. Glock4President

Glock4President

I wipe mine with a silicone cloth. It takes all the fingerprints and most of the smudges off. Is your gen 3 a newer one with the matte grey slide or the old shiney black color? I have a g19 gen 3 with the old shiney black slide color. It almost looks like there are smudges in the finish. It kind of looks like crap, when you look at it up close. Supposedly right before glock switched over to the new matte grey finish, they were having problems with the finish.

10. Old Junes

Old Junes

Interesting! Must be one of the newer ones with the old shiney black color... it looks just like you describe it if I go a few days without wiping it down with oil. As long as I know that it is cosmetic and not a functional problem I am fine with it. Learn something new here every day, huh?