Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I put 300 rounds through my new Glock 19 Gen4, bringing it up to 1200 total.

About 4 or 5 times when I would slap in a fresh mag, the slide would drop automatically.

Is this normal? Am I slapping in the mag too hard?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hard to tell if you're slapping too hard from this side of the internet. :supergrin:

Insert the mag, don't slap.

Have you detail stripped your gun? If so, check to see that the slide stop spring is where its supposed to be.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is called the 45° bump,basically if you slam in a magazine hard at a 45 degree angle the magazine will bump the slide release and disengage it. It occurs on Beretta hk flock etc. Unless you can make it happen every time you should not count on it working to save your life in a crisis situation

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh boy I wish mine would do that... :crying:

·
Florist
22,453 Posts
When you insert your magazine with authority, it will sometimes do that.

That's not to say you're inserting it "too hard," as in, will damage gun. Should not be counted on if the gun is intended for SD.

·
Registered
22,478 Posts
Everytime this topic comes up there are always several posts that this would be a desired feature. So how bout it, why isn't this a designed feature in handguns? Do any of the manufacturers offer this as an intended feature and if not, why not?

·
Enforcerator.
11,383 Posts
My issued G22 would do that every time, without fail, from the first time I shot it until I turned it in. I liked it. I had an M3 on mine from the get go, maybe that's why it did it. I don't know. :supergrin:

·
OIF 04-05
4,305 Posts
Yesterday I put 300 rounds through my new Glock 19 Gen4, bringing it up to 1200 total.

About 4 or 5 times when I would slap in a fresh mag, the slide would drop automatically.

Is this normal? Am I slapping in the mag too hard?
No! Sounds like something is wrong with the slide release lever. Your best bet is to get rid of it and get a Gen.3 model.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
When you insert the magazine it pushes the slide upwards. Since it is very hard to load the last round in many Glock magazines, they push the slide up harder when fully loaded than when part loaded. This extra stiffness then produces extra slide acceleration when the magazine is slammed in as the faster movement and vibration gives the slide stop more opportunity to spring back.

Clearly some slides or slide stops and some magazines make this more likely to happen that others. Just as I regard a slide stop which is too stiff to be used as a slide release as faulty, so I regard one that releases too easily as faulty. It would be difficult, without a lot of extra complexity, to design a slide stop which releases every time the magazine is slapped into place and so we would have a situation where the user could never know what state the pistol would be in after doing so. You could say, "Never mind that - just rack it anyway!", but sometimes that would waste a round and sometimes it might create a malfunction. If you are taking violent evasive action the slide might close on its own between dumping one magazine and inserting the next, and then you go trigger, click, trigger, what?, tap rack trigger, bang and that all takes time you can't afford. If you are very well trained, that is, you do these things faster than you can think, and always rack to reload, your hand goes to where the slide should be, locked back, and if it is forward you end up racking with your little finger if you do an overhand rack or sliding off the back of the slide if you slingshot. If it might be in one or the other position you have to take time to observe, think and react and you can't always afford that much time. Incidentally, using the slide stop as a manual release takes no extra time and avoids these problems. Its only risk is that you release the slide before the magazine is in place. With good training this should not happen as there is free time, if you have a well positioned release lever like Glock's, to release the slide as you move the pistol from magazine insert position to on target position.

English

·
Registered
741 Posts
before I retired on training days my G22 would do that sometimes too. I figured it was a freebie as I didn't have to pull the slide back & release it to chamber. I learned after playing with the gun awhile, that if I tilted the gun just a bit, & really slapped the magazine home it'd do it most times.
If you have to reload under stress, like in a deadly encounter, I'd really like my gun to do that.:thumbsup:
Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.