close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 Slide does not lock open

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jw38, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jw38

jw38

Hi Guys - I need some help, I don't know which direction to go. On my G3, 19 completely stock parts and set up. Has thousands of rounds thru it - no problems. I have done the .25 trigger job along with Dave and 3/4's Extractor fix. (all casings almost land in a hat on the floor now) However lately, the slide does not lock open on the last round. I have used different mags - same problem. I have tried using different numbers of rounds in the magazines. Makes no difference, the slide doesn't lock open on the last round. Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Not trying to sound stupid but are you sure you have the slide lock properly installed with the spring under the top pin?

Don

3. Rustin

Rustin

More than likely I would assume it's the way your holding the gun. If your thumb interfers with the slide stop lever, you will get failure to lock back. I know this personally because I used to do the same thing. I came from shooting 1911's and would rest my thumb on top of the thumb safety, proper for a 1911 but will cause different types of malfunctions if your doing this with the slide stop on a Glock. I went from having maybe 1/3 mags lock back to having all mags lock back. What 3/4 solution were you refering to when you mentioned an ejection fix?

4. Bald Baron

Bald Baron Hermit

Have you examined your slide stop lever to see if it is worn out?:wavey:

5. jw38

jw38

Thanks for all the quick replies. I believe I have my thumb resting on the slide lock too tightly. I'll check that at the range tomorrow. Please read the first topic on this forum. It is primarily by Dave Nowlin and A GT'er - 3/4 Flap. Treat them both with great respect! If ejections from any Glock aren't going as they should, this topic is for you. Solved problems for me on 5 Glocks. Gaston should have Dave and 3/4 on the Glock Payroll.

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

If thumb position doesn't solve it tomorrow, for reference, the Glock Armorer's Manual (©Glock 2009, Page 83) lists 12 probable causes of a slide that fails to lock open on the last round, namely:
    Magazine follower broken
    Dirty magazine
    Weak magazine spring
    Worn slide stop lever notch
    Dirty gun
    Needs lubrication
    Deformed magazine
    Trigger pin inserted too far (left or right) Slide stop lever worn
    Slide stop lever damaged
    Underpowered ammunition
    Shooting with an unlocked wrist
    Improper grip

7. jw38

jw38

Thanks for the help guys. Went to the range. Loaded mags with anything from 4 to 15 rounds. Never knew which mag I was getting ready to shoot. Gun was flawless and the slide locked back when empty. After years of shooting Glocks, my 1911 hold crept back in. My right thumb was blocking the slide release as I would shoot. Changed my grip slightly. All is well. THANKS

8. fireGLOCKfighter

fireGLOCKfighter

Those darn 1911's teaching bad behavior! :tongueout:

9. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

I would say the thumb on the slide. Because if I'm not mistaken, if the spring is worn out it'd prematurely lock back. Or the follower on the mag could be messed up/springs in mag not pushing the follower all the way up. Try different magazines as well.