G19 RTF2 “FishGills”

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Larry Crockett, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Larry Crockett

Larry Crockett

Hi everyone, I was in the market for a Gen5 G19 and came across a posting for an unspecified G19. Not a Glock expert, but the deal was good and I purchased it. The serrations helped me figure out the identity when I got it home.

I love it! Shoots great, looks great and is slightly unique. The grip is perfect for the hot, humid climate I live in and imparts a strong, extra secure purchase on the grip. I see that these are pretty rare, and sell for about double what I paid. I’m on the fence about whether to carry as intended, store away for collectibility or try and sell.

I’m interested to hear anyone’s thoughts about this specific model. Any other owners of these in the forum? Possible collectors item?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. domino1

domino1

It has the frying pan finish on the slide which is very durable compared to some of the variations of metal finish. Some people do not like it as they think it is slick when your hands are wet.

The RTF2 frame - people either love them or hate them. If you carry it concealed then it can wear through shirts with it's abrasiveness.

If it has been shot then some collector's would not be interested. It would have to have everything that came with it and be mint to get top dollar.

It is a unique pistol and not a lot were made.

Enjoy it.

Larry Crockett and FireMedic-50 like this.

3. Larry Crockett

Larry Crockett

Thanks for your thoughts, good to know that about the finish. I believe that’s what I’m going to do, use it and enjoy it while taking good care of it.

6Actual likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

Those are cool for sure

Larry Crockett likes this.
  5. Dave514

Dave514

If it was a good deal for a Glock then it was a great deal for an RTF2.

Larry Crockett and FireMedic-50 like this.
  6. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

I found a brand new one a couple years ago for $499 and didnt know much about it, but a friend told me he wouldnt buy it, and didnt like it, and stopped me from buying it, I tried going back the next day and it was already SOLD! never found another.

Larry Crockett likes this.
  7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Funny how they are the cat's meow now, but they were such terrible sellers that Glock discontinued them.

buster55 likes this.
  8. Toocool45

Toocool45

That looks to be a great deal on a very nice example. What did it cost if you dont mind? Whats the letter prefix for the serial number?

9. Larry Crockett

Larry Crockett

I feel it was a great deal too, not knowing much about glocks I took a chance. Paid $450 cash. The only other G19 RTF2 I’ve seen for sale started at $1000.00 on GB. First 3 are NZL...what does that tell us?

I’m loving it, definitely hooked on Glocks now. And the grip on this is amazing between the finger grooves fitting perfect to the sandpaper like purchase, I can manipulate it faster and with much more confidence.

10. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

I remember the first time I saw a photo of those "fish gills" on a Glock. I figured that was the end of me buying a Glock ever again. Fortunately Glock got rid of those horrid looking grooves.

11. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Nice catch, I have one, a G-22, I got from another deputy, as new in the box, it’s in the safe.

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I remember when they were introduced. Took time to get use to fish scale look but never found it to be "wow." The deal killers were the finish and the RTF2 texture. The slick frying pan finish, hated it then and still hate it now. Found the RTF2 finish too rough for CCW.

But as a pistol, I'm sure it's a Glock and does what Glocks do! Congrats on a good deal!

13. Larry Crockett

Larry Crockett

I had a suspicion people would either love it or hate it, I suppose the polarity is part of the reason Glock took it off the market.

As you can tell from previous posts, I love it. But I know it’s not for everyone no doubt. The rough texture hasn’t bothered me at all during carry and like Larry Vickers mentioned, it can simply be sanded down to custom preference. Or put on a Houge style grip. I plan on doing neither.

Thanks for everyone’s input so far.

14. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I have a G22 in RTF2 that was a LE trade-in... pretty much new condition, had everything in the box to include the hand receipt where the Louisiana deputy signed for it back in 2010. It's a good shooter, and I do like the grips and finish. My normal EDC is a G22.4, this one makes a good backup and a bit of a collectible.