G19 recoil spring removal from guide rod?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by seamaster, Feb 2, 2010.

1. seamaster

seamaster

So, I ordered a metal guide rod and want to know if I can use the spring from my stock guide rod. Is there a method for removing the spring without cutting the end of the rod off?

Thanks,

2. Scott30

Scott30

Pull off the end of the guide rod and use the spring if you want, but the big questions is why? The stock recoil assembly is good for thousands of rounds. I have tried the SS guide rods and have found that they offered nothing to weapon enhancement. Save your money and stay with the original.

3. seamaster

seamaster

I have about 500 rounds thru this gun and the rear end of the plastic guide rod shows some chiping. I'm trying it mostly just for fun.

Can the end of the plastic guide rod be pulled off or does it need to be cut off? I guess once pulled off it cannot be used again, is that correct?

The tip of my guide rod feels loose when it's in the gun. I posted here and the feedback was that that's normal. It seems as though there is a thin piece of wire holding that end one.

Thanks,
    Seamaster

4. BadAndy

BadAndy

You should have ordered a spring for the metal guide rod. The spring on the stock rod is designed for that setup, not a non-captured rod like the one you bought. It "might" work but I don't suggest it.

5. GRR

GRR

I routinely change out the stock spring for a lighter spring in my competition Glocks, using the stock guide rod. If you're careful, you can reuse the stock rod.

I would buy a spare stock guiderod with spring before I did anything. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=449

Lock the slide back and GENTLY work the plug at the end of the guide rod out with plyers. Retain the plug. Take the slide off and remove the stock spring and guide rod. To reverse the procedure, put stock rod and spring back in your Glock. Lock the slide back and snap the end cap back in. If it won't stay, a little super glue will work wonders.

This is the way I install an ISMI 13 lb spring on a stock rod for my competition Glocks.

6. seamaster

seamaster

Thanks for the advice GRR. I popped off the end and used the stock sprng on a new Jager captured guide rod. The spring fit kind of tight but functions ok. I will test fire it this weekend. It was $18 shipped so I figure it's not a big expense if I don't like it.

Thanks,
    Seamaster

7. Larry V

Larry V

If you must change it , buy a CAPTURED stainless steel guide Rod and spring. In other words the spring will be attached. Wolff and Lightning Strike sell these andthey work well!

8. mteagle1

mteagle1

My suggestion is that if you feel you need to use something other than the stock guide rod get the metal uncaptured type as they will not come with a nylon washer which comes with most captured guide rods and they are longer to compensate for the screw. My testing has reveled that the space used by the washer can lead to coil bind with a stock spring. The captured rods that I have will all retain the spring without the washer and the screw completes the distance necessary for the rod to fit inthe slide without binding.

9. seamaster

seamaster

The spec from jager notes that the stock spring works with this guide rod. There is a washer at the screw which would compress the spring more by that thickness but thats all I see being different. I'll try it this weekend and see hiw it works.

Seamaster

10. Jack Black

Jack Black

I've seen those Jager guide rods on eBay. I don't understand how it can use a standard recoil spring. The auctions say the rod is .244". I measured the stock rod and it was around .22". I have a stainless steel rod I bought from Glockmeister that measures .24". There's no way I can get a stock spring on it.

11. seamaster

seamaster

The stock spring slid on OK but it did feel a bit snug on the ends. Racking the slide it feels fine. I put a little grease on the rod to lube it. Seems fine to me but will find out how it shoots on saturday!