close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 recoil reduction

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hooch, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Hooch

Hooch

I just bought a G19 for my wife. I am interested in what you guys would recommend to do to reduce the recoil/blast. I want her to enjoy shooting with me. Thank you.

2. youngvr4

youngvr4

jeez, my girlfriend doesnt like the kick on my 17 either. honestly. if its too much kick for her, get her a .22

9mm is near the bottom for recoil

3. picturethis

picturethis

A 9mm 115gr target round is about as soft as it gets in a Glock. I'd say give her 200 or 300 rounds to get used to it. Or better yet, let her shoot thru a box of .40S&W, and then hand her the G19 back.

4. Pizzapie76

Pizzapie76 MI Glocker

Winchester white box 115gr seems relatively mild to me. May sound foolish, but very effective ear protection seems to reduce perceived/felt recoil. Worth a shot.

5. Bead

Bead Millennium Member

:cheers:

6. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe

I put a #18 LW recoil spring in mine and that helped with the recoil. My wife has no problem with the recoil now she just doesn't like how it fits her hands.

7. deathpriest

deathpriest

My GF did not like the G19 at the beginning. One day she showed up with a glove and we went to the range. I could not load the magazines fast enough. Maybe try the glove :)

8. automan

automan

Get her a .380 Auto (9x17mm). Its still a 9mm.

9. striker6126

striker6126

I did exactly this and did not get my g22 back. My wife thinks the g19 has much more recoil than my g22. I can not tell much difference myself.

10. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

If she feels more comfortable with a larger caliber thats even better.
    -Joel

11. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Ear muffs and practice. Have her practice dry firing......just keep the front sight aligned, breath control, trigger control, no movement of the front sight when the gun goes "click". Replicate that at the range. Concentrate, breath control, squeeze the trigger. She'll get it. For some reason, gals can be pretty darn good shots. It doesn't get much lighter than a 9mm. Even a 22 goes boom! Start her at 7 yards and she'll get her confidence up.

12. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

While the round itself may be less stout, many pistols built around the .380 are very small and light offering very minimal recoil absorption. Further, the straight blowback action found on many of these firearms can lend itself to an increased perception of recoil. As such, I definitely would not recommend a .380 pistol to someone who is recoil averse.

Now I'm gonna ruffle some feathers. A Glock may not be the best platform to learn on either for someone who is recoil averse. Glocks are relatively small, especially in size vs. capacity ratio. The polymer frame is obviously very light. These are reasons why we love them and carry them. Those are also reasons why the recoil averse may not like them.

OP, you can try a Hogue Handall or similar product. They help some. repeated practice helps also. Hopefully eventually she gets accustomed to it. If not, you might want to look into something with a metal frame for her to learn on.

13. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

And this. Though I'd say start her at 3 yards. Let her see the ball go in the hole, so to speak. Then move her out to 5 yard. Then 7. Then...you get the idea.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Buy some blank ammunition,.....that's the only way I know of
    to get a G19 to recoil less.

15. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

This is spot on. Have her use ear plugs AND ear muffs next time and see if she does better.

16. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Sellier & Bellot 115gr FMJ 9mm. Comes in a green, red & white box of 50. Inexpensive and functions fine in my 17 & 19. Recoil is not much more than a .22. Works great for my wife who had the same issue. Pretty easy to find, even Cabelas has it.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012661210837a.shtml

[​IMG]

17. Hooch

Hooch

Thanks guys!

1911 Austin, Love the Krav Maga avatar. I own a Krav Maga school and have been training with KMW for over 11 years.

18. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The first time I took my 22yo daughter to the range, I took a G26 and a G30SF thinking the 26 would be the gun for her. She thought it was snappy and much preferred shooting the .45. So, give her choices. She might surprise you.

19. bentbiker

bentbiker

Think about an extra threaded barrel and add a compensator. Jager compensator, with all ports on top, reduces flip, while others, like Lone Wolf aim more at a compromise in reducing recoil and flip.

+1 on the use of BOTH foam earplugs AND muffs. If the muffs are electronic and allow her to still hear instructions, all the better.

Ask her if the gun slips at all in her hand, and if so get the grip fixed -- Talon or Hogue, etc. It can be scary if she feels the gun might come out of her hand.

20. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Congrats on the G19. To reduce recoil put a laser/flashlight attachment on the rails or put a steel guide rod... they do help somewhat.