close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 owner looking for next Glock.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by njFFRescue, Jul 22, 2012.

1. njFFRescue

njFFRescue

Hi all,Looking to get my next gun for range/competitive use.

I have been shooting for about a year and a half. I own a G19 Gen 4 and I love it. Great gun, tons of fun at the range.

Looking to get a second gun and hoping it will fill these roles:
    *Range gun
    *Competitive gun - trying to get involved in IDPA
    *Possibly an HD gun.

I like the 9mm round for cost, ease of shooting and my G19 is chambered in it. (Although I do plan to get a glock, HK or 1911 in .45 ACP in the fall) So I've been looking at the G17 and the G34. Trying to decide between the two. Any thoughts?

Im trying to pick up the gun in the next few weeks. Waiting on a permit and for my LGS to get it in stock. I qualify for the blue label program so I am at the mercy of the shop that is authorized to deal in blue label glocks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. bac1023

bac1023

3. Glock40man

Glock40man

Another vote for the G34.

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I finally got out Saturday to shoot IDPA for the first time, I took my G19 Gen 4 to shoot and while it was fun it was one hell of a challenge at the longer distances on the move. I can tell you that of the 22 shooters in the SSP division I was one of 3 with a G19 ( we were all new) and the other 19 were using G34's except for a couple of long slide M&P 9MM pistols. You can do it with the G19 no problem, but if you are competitive in nature you will end up with a G34 or G17 down the road.

In your situation I would vote G34 for commonality of parts, ammo, etc. I myself want to get better with my G19 before moving on to another pistol. I did not do as well as I would have wanted but my issues were not pistol related, I just need to Slow Down! Lol.......

My trigger finger wants to go warp speed when the buzzer goes off. So I don't feel at this point yet I would get full benefit of going to the bigger gun, but that's just my opinion. And being that I have (2) G19's I want to shoot what I have.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

We keep a G21 on the nightstand with an X300 because that's what the misses wants there so no argument from me.

5. ParisArms

ParisArms

G34 wins my vote as well.

6. avenues165

avenues165

I personally have a soft spot in my heart for the Glock .40 s&w longslides (G35, G24). However, since you already have a G19, you like the 9mm and its cost, and you want to shoot competitively, my vote is for G34.

7. g30sfjeepguy

g30sfjeepguy

My vote is for the 34

8. njFFRescue

njFFRescue

Thanks for the responses thus far guys! Keep them coming!

I think the 34 sounds like a good plan. Does anyone use it for HD as well?

@firemedic - how do you like the 21? I've been looking at that for my 45ACP purchase of I can't get a HK45 for Christmas. Also congratulations on your first shoot! I'm looking forward to my first. Any tips?

9. sarge38624

sarge38624

I have used a 34 as my bedside pistol for years now. I absolutely love it. I G34 with a Streamlight TLR-1s and a G18 magazine full of 124 grain gold dots makes a nice home defense pistol.

10. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I'm going to have to say get a G17! Only because, every poster, before me, said, get the G34, and, probably because everyone after my post will also say, get the G34!:supergrin: I just have to be different, cannot follow the crowd!

11. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

My Gen4 G21 SF is my absolute favorite of the blocks I currently own. I do not have small hands and prefer the full size grips, but that's just not feasible for year round carry where I live, and with some of my activities in the heat an no open carry. And my wife has always just preferred a 45ACP pistol over any other caliber. (except daddy's 1972 BHP) The recoil impulse is a very soft push straight back, very easy follow up shots, very accurate, and comfortable grip (for me)

I had an HK 45 once, and while it was good at the range, I did not like it for CCW because the hammer would dig into me. And I just always kept coming back to the fact that I could own 2 Glocks for the cost of that gun, parts for the HK were not as common (at the time I had mine, think that has improved but not sure), and the HK magazines are NOT cheap! I'm no door kicker, so for my uses the G21 put the holes where I want them just the same.

As for any tips, my advice would be (2) things. I would go to 1 or 2 matches before shooting, this way you will get a feel for the environment and get to know the quirks of reloads, using cover, etc, and you will get a third person look at what people get procedural penalties for. Then go shoot, and it should be much easier to keep pace with all that is going on. When you are "thinking" so much while shooting it's a distraction. You should instinctively be doing your reloads (and the proper type), and instinctively using cover, and not being told to move when you should be shooting on the move. It's a lot to take in going in blind like I did, and had I know I myself would have watched a few matches first. But it was a ton of fun!!!

Second tip- SLOW DOWN!!!!! I mean that with all the emphasis I typed it with. I would stand there getting ready to go and I'm just thinking to myself, "nice and slow, slow down, nice and slow, slow down" then the buzzer would go off and it was downhill. A couple of times the SO told me he was not 100% sure if I reloaded my magazine or had loaded more than 10 rounds into the mag in my gun. take it easy, because taking another 1 or 2 seconds to hit where you need to is faster than losing points for hitting a non threat target or hitting outside the -0 zone, ask me how I know.

Good luck, and pm me if you want anymore info. I'm just a beginner so I can only give you my perspective as someone new to this. But weather permitting I will be back at it this saturday, and now I have made it a personal challenge with the G19, because I know I can do better than I did the last time out.