close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 or PPQ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DR.J, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DR.J

DR.J

With all the complaints about the quality issues associated with the current production of Glock Gen 3 and 4 pistols, I am wondering if I'm not better off purchasing a Walther PPQ. I'm not interested in purchasing a gun that will run properly right out of the box. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

2. rooster626

rooster626

must be a typo but thought id get it straight.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

I just posted this, perhaps useful.

4. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

Get a Glock and be done with it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

If you could find an AMT backup that is new, that might work, or maybe a Jennings or Lorcin will hose up for you right out of the box.:supergrin:

6. brickboy240

brickboy240

Laugh all you want but if my recently bought 3rd gen G19 tosses brass at my face...I am replacing it with a PPQ or M&P.

Sorry...but if I want to continually swap parts to try to make a pistol run 100%....I'll buy another 1911! LOL

- brickboy240

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Just get a Gen 3 Glock and everything will be fine.

8. barth

barth six barrels

One of my friends had one of the first Kel Tecs.
    FTF, stove pipe or light primer strike with every mag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Seriously, you're posting on a Glock forum my friend.
    Seems like the problems some folks are experiencing are with 9mm guns.
    If you're really concerned.
    I have a G27 with a 40-9mm barrel and mags that's flawless.
    Get a G23 with a conversion barrel if you must.

BTW;
    According to Walther “Plus-P” (+P) overpressure ammunition may affect the wear characteristics of the PPQ pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may, according to Walther, result in the need for more frequent service. Walther recommends against the use of “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) overpressure ammunition in Walther firearms.

You can run +P+ 9mm though a Glock till the cows come home.
    And then shoot one for dinner - LOL.

[​IMG]

9. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Get the Walther. Glocks are junk. Seriously, I have compared the two side by side and IMHO, the Glock is built better. The PPQ has a plastic end cap on the end of the slide for starters. I do not like the hollow grip frame either. I like the way the Glock interchangeable system is an adapter and not integral to the structure. In other words there is no hole in the frame to serve as the path of least resistance in the event of a kaBOOM. The finish on the slide of the Glock does not even compare to the Walther. Frankly, I had my heart set on a PPQ when I went to the gun store but walked away a bit disappointed in Walther.

10. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Both would be good choices, but Id say the Glock 19 is more proven and my has been very durable for many years with no issues. Walther does make good guns. Also some secondary reasons are that the Glock 19 has more accessories and can be customized easier. Holsters, night sights, triggers, etc. if you wanted.

:50cal:

11. wirenut

wirenut

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice but since you asked!
    G-19

12. Comedian

Comedian

The PPQ has noticeably more recoil than the G19. But the PPQ is also the more accurate of the two. I tried 2 different PPQ's and i prefer the G19, because i can shoot it better at speed. Also my G19 has been 100% reliable for 1200 rds of various kinds of ball and hollow point ammo.

13. cfr

cfr

I held the PPQ while in the LGS about a month ago. Id read about the awesome ergos -- but absolutely hated the way it felt in my hand. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

I also hate the mag release, I just dont think I have trigger guard mag release skills, and am not going to shoot enough to develop them.

Im definately not a Glock fanboy. I'm also considering a 19, and Ive either looked at or shot most competitors G19ish size polymer guns, in hopes of finding something else. Theres something fairly big I dont like about each of them that makes me want the 19 even more.

YMMV

14. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I guess I'm in the minority on this. I have several Glock 19s' that I use at the range and at GSSF Matches. I recently purchased a PPQ in 9MM and shot one of my 19s' and the PPQ side by side same day, same ammo, same target. I found I shot the PPQ better, didn't notice any increase muzzle flip, and liked the grip.

15. Apprentice

Apprentice

Our recent investment in FDE's just brought the household shooting team up to 8 Gen 4 9mm's and four late model Gen 3 9mms and they all run fine.

But the PPQ is a popular gun. Trigger feels borderline street carry safe to me but hey, the safety is in the finger right? Go for it. We need more data points for long term high round count PPQs.

16. Radian

Radian

Check out FBO.gov. You will find Army and Navy folks who actually use pistols to shoot people from time to time purchasing glocks, including the 19.

If you are looking for a combat accurate gun that you can shoot 1000 times and not clean and that runs from arctic to Sahara buy the glock.

If you want a target gun that drops brass in a rendition of the virgin mary with federal puffy ammo buy something else. If its a major problem it does not eject brass right into a coffe cup you may want to keep on looking.

I have several glocks with north of 30,000 rounds on them. I am sure there are other makers that do this well (baer does, but parts get replaced) but it all depends on what you want.

17. Pier23

Pier23

I have the PPQ in .40 and the Glocks in 21, 23 and 17.

_For me_ the PPQ is easier to shoot accurately. Neither platform has failed, but the PPQ is easier for me to hold and make holes where I want them.

The Glocks perform well..they are a solid pistol, but the PPQ feels better in my hands.

18. 8th ID

8th ID

I HAD a PPQ. Zero issues with operation. Much better trigger/reset than my stock Gen4 G19. Accurate, yes. Recoil was quite a bit more in the PPQ vs. the Glock. I can shoot the Glock Gen4 G19 more accurately at speed. For me, the PPQ was more accurate at slow fire.

Sold the PPQ. I carry and compete (IDPA) with my G19. Either gun would be a great choice, IMO.

19. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

The manual is written by lawyers. I have shot a lot of +p & +p+ in my PPQ. No problem. One fella on H&K Pro said he had a buddy in Europe I believe with a Walther P99 and he had shot 30,000 Hirtenberger sub-gun 9mm through it. No damage. The Walther is proofed by the same proof houses as H&K.

I love my Gen4 G19 & Walther PPQ equally. FWIW, on the Walther Forum there are people getting brass to the face using Fed. Champion crap ammo & some other watered down crap as well. You can't run a Ferrari on coal.

20. jay-bird

jay-bird goin' broke

Hated the PPQ mag release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.