Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

G19 or G30/G30 SF for both daily carry and woods carry?

• G19

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • G30

Votes: 29 46.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Either a G19(any gen), a G30(any gen), or G30SF can be carried daily just fine.

What is in the woods you might frequent which you'd want only a handgun?
I'm unfamiliar with the "woods" in the "wet upper Midwest".
If it's to augment a long-gun, then, again, either.

If more ballistic penetration might be wanted, then do research what .357SIG, .40, or 10mm offers, as Glock has these calibers, too.

EDITED TO ADD: Outfit yourself for the mission (I know, easy to say, but sometimes harder to do and hard to foresee what'll be needed).

·
Formerly TFLWYO
1,374 Posts
I have been exactly where you are, and I settled on the 19. Although I spend a fair amount of time in the woods compared to most, most of my time is spent on pavement. The 19 is lighter, holds more ammo, is easier to carry IWB, and carries more effective ammo (my opinion) on pavement. Off pavement, with Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo, I am willing to bet my life that I can defend myself as well with the 19 as with the 30SF. It all comes down to accuracy and penetration. For the sake of full disclosure, our black bears do not run that large, and there are no grizzlies in my playground. If there are wolves in this area yet, there are not many. We do run into a lot of moose, and there are a fair amount of mountain lions and tons of yotes.

With apologies to the people who have seen these before, here are links to some water jug penetration tests that I did with Buffalo Bore hard cast 255 grain +P .45 ACP out of a 30SF and with Buffalo Bore hard cast 147 grain +P 9mm out of a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. This past season, I was wearing the 26 when bow hunting.

30SF (The bullet was grabbing some air between the jugs after jug 6. It was not going through the widest parts in 7-10.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJkBDCK6-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ursfz1Wg8hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sOM_3DIdNw

Many will disagree, so YMMV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’d rather have a 9mm. (Where I’m at). The extra capacity would be idea against some coyotes, Wild dogs/ pet bulls. Not saying I’m gonna run across a pit bull In the woods but you never know when you might come across them. Anyways I think the 19 would be great for both needs. For me at least

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
What type of wood are you trying to kill? Sorry, couldn’t resist.
But, what type of critter are you protecting yourself from?
If it’s rabid raccoons I’d say G19.
If it’s bear I’d say G30. Then take the slide off and put a G29 upper on it. OR just buy a G29.
Underwood 200 XTP’s in the woods. Underwood 165 GD’s on the street. Cheap .40 on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If it is an all day hike in the woods, it would be a G19 for me. It is just a much more comfortable carry, especially if you're toting a day pack and stomping around for 8-10 hours.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,320 Posts
G19 or G30/G30 SF for both daily carry and woods carry?
Either is fine for daily carry by which I assume you mean concealed EDC.

Not sure what you mean by "woods carry" though (?).

Strolling dreamily along the lush trails of your well-patrolled local Metropark?

Or, do you mean hiking it rough and tough with a pack for several days through the wilds of the Alaskan bush?

For anywhere that's close to the latter, where you're potentially isolated for long stretches of time in remote boonies which are known to contain both 4- and 2-legged predators, it would be a 10mm Glock 20 loaded 15+1 with some form of "hot & heavy" FMJ or hard cast load, plus a spare mag the same way.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
my vote would have been G29.

your choices lack impact for the woods/trails part of the question, unless your travels do not place you near bear.
if that is the case, personal preference concerning the two you considered.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
G30, 6” LW barrel shooting 45 super for the woods. Lone wolf has those barrels on closeout for 50 bucks!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts