Glock 17 G19 or G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by venturer, May 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. venturer

venturer

I want to get a 9mm for ccw and home defense.I really like the 19 but was leaning more toward the 17.What is the difference in slide and grip dimension.does anyone have a picture comparison?
    Thanks for the help

2. rich52us

rich52us

I'm sure some will post pics for you. I can tell you that although the difference in dimensions isn't great, the G19 is considerably easier to conceal IMO. You can still use G17 mags in a G19 for when you need the extra 2 rds. Here's a link to where they have the dimensions:

http://www.teamglock.com/PistolInfo/pistolpage.htm

3. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

:deadhorse:

I'm with Rich. To me the G17 and G19 feel totally different (I prefer the 19 as it it much more natural to me).

If no one has pictures at hand I have a G22 that I can put next to my G19 so you can get an idea.

4. SurefireG21

SurefireG21

Try them both on for size.

To me, the G17 feels odd in the hand and points high.

The G19 feels better in the hand, and points a little straighter. Your miles and hand shape will vary.

5. Firearmz

Firearmz

Purchase one of each.

6. speedsix

speedsix

This is interesting as I have noticed a big difference in the way these two pistols feel as well. I thought it was mostly in my head but the 17 feels much better to me. It feels more balanced and somehow slimmer even though the are the same thickness.

I have found that many guns which have a compact version tend to feel compleatly different. The SIG 226 is the best feeling SIG IMHO while the 228 feels bad to me. The 220 feels good while the 245 feels bad. I do not only like the full size guns however and sometimes the compact feels better to me. The Compact CZs feel better to me than the full size ones. The compact S&Ws feel better than the full size versions as well.

My point is, each and every gun feels different and you have to see which fits YOU the best. I can tell you the G-17 feels better but that only holds true for my hand.

7. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wouldn't sit perfectly aligned, but you can get some of the idea:
    [​IMG]

8. venturer

venturer

Thanks for the pics,Doesn't really seem like that much of a difference between the 19 & 17

9. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

I believe I like the 19 over the 17, but I don't dislike the 17.

A project on the to do list is take a G34 and cut it down to a G26 (or 19 if it would work out) sized grip.

10. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

Just got back from plinkin around the property. I was managing 60% hit rate on a target 5x12 at 85 yards. I'm impressed, going to use it tomorrow in an IPSC match.

11. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

You're right as far as the dimensions, but the feel is completely different. Also, the difference becomes obvious when trying to stuff them in your pants, or after having them stuffed in your pants all day long.

12. 17z

17z

I have both 1st generation Glocks 17 with 6 high caps and a 19 with 3 10 rounders from a pawn shop in my town of Omaha,Ne. Both were priced at $475 +tax for each of them. I plan on buying some 15 rounders for the G19 and plus use the 17 rounders for it. rich Z. Omaha,Ne.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. goneglockin

goneglockin

i have both and as much as i say the g19 is a better handgun for carry the g17 with the right holster will conceal as good as the g19 with the added two rounds and better grip hold but thats just me any besides i carry a g26 so i need to hush while iam ahead:)

14. XM15carbine

XM15carbine

15. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

Thanks for that, I'm stealing it!

16. XM15carbine

XM15carbine

No Problem I made them to help everyone and myself see the differences. I like your photos too. :banana:

17. tavo94

tavo94

I faced the same dilema a couple of months ago, I ended up with a 19.... No regrets....

18. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

Having owned a 22, a 23, a 17, and a 19, the only one I currently own is the 19. I loved the 17 but the 19 shoots just as well and is so much easier to hide. I plan on getting a 34 at some point for shooting IDPA, but my G-19 is my main carry gun.

19. tavo94

tavo94

G19 all the way....

20. What? Me worry?

What? Me worry?

I have own both a Glock 22 & 23. Same dimensions as the 17 & 19. To me the 22 fills my hand better, points better and -believe it or not- feels better when wearing IWB holsters. The 1/2 inch less on the G23's slide kinda digs into my kiester a little where the G22 does not. The G22 is also more accurate, IMO than the G23.

The Glock 35 is next on my wish list.