close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 or G17?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Seawolf, Jan 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Seawolf

Seawolf

I am looking to purchase my second Glock. I currently own a G30SF that I use for daily carry, but because of ammo availability, or lack of, and price I never really get the chance to shoot it.
    I originally had my mind set on a G21SF for a second full size pistol, but since I never get to shoot the G30 I figured the G21 would see the same fate as my G30.

I guess I am curious if anyone else has gone to the 9mm from the 45acp for this same reason and your thoughts.

I think the Gen4 G19 will be here around March if I read correctly so I have time. I'm just brainstorming at this point.

2. 9mmdude

9mmdude

If it is not for carry I would get the Glock 17. Shoot the 17 and carry the 30. If you want the best of both worlds then opt for the 19.

3. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

So you're debating whether to buy a G19 or a G17? I had the SAME EXACT internal debate for weeks on end. The way I finally solved it? Went to the shooting range and shot both side by side. I found out very quickly that the G19 was just too small for my hands. The G17 all the way (for me).

I want a Gen. 4 G17, but I also want it in OD. I can't have both, so I'm going to buy a Gen. 3 G17 in OD.

Good luck.

4. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

Strangely enough I'm going to be moving from a 10mm to the 9mm. Number of reasons including yours. I figured I'd buy the 19 first since it's comparable to the 29, and then I could get a 17 later on.

After reading a few threads about shot placement and all that I don't see much of a problem going to 9mm. More practice = more fun!

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Why lock yourself into 9mm. only? If you were to buy a G31/G22 or G23/G32 you could, with the addition of a couple of aftermarket barrels, shoot 9mm. 357SIG, or .40S&W out of the same pistol.

6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Very good advice here and I agree.

OP- First things first, I would try to shoot both size frames sand see which you like/shoot the best. I myself find the full size frame more comfortable to shoot for "my" sized hands. This may or may not be the case for you. A firearm purchase is a VERY personalized decision. I also have no issue using a full size G22 for CCW, this also may or may not be the case for you.

I would recommend you take a good look at the G22/G23. Ammo availability for this round is just as good if not better if you're buying ammo because so much of LE and Gov't agencies are carrying/using firearms chambered in 40SW. You get ever so slightly less capacity than a 9mm but more than a 45 and you get a round that's proven on the streets and has good power behind it. I had a LONG debate between 9mm and 40SW for CCW and primary use, and while I do love the 9mm the 40 won out for me.

Many people will tell you to get a 9mm, because of modern ammo it's not much different than a 40, blah, blah, blah. But these same people go out and buy 127gr +p+ or 147gr +p ammo for their 9mm pistols. Now I don't know if you ever shot either of these rounds but they recoil just like a 40SW round if not some more depending on the barrel length of your gun and what not. So why have the same recoil, and shoot a smaller bullet at your intended target? I own and shoot both 9mm and 40SW in the Glock platform, but I carry the 40SW.

This is all "my" personal preference, and you need to figure out what works for "YOU". Don't get too caught up with everything you're going to read on the net. Find a gun that fits your hand well, that you can place shots well with, and that gives you the warm and fuzzies inside when you shoot/carry it, then you'll be satisfied with your decision. If you try to use what everyone else likes you're just going to drive yourself crazy and be switching back and forth a lot, trust me on this.

Good luck on your decision. :wavey:

7. 9mmdude

9mmdude

"Many people will tell you to get a 9mm, because of modern ammo it's not much different than a 40, blah, blah, blah. But these same people go out and buy 127gr +p+ or 147gr +p ammo for their 9mm pistols......"

I represent that remark LOL.

8. Theskip

Theskip GSSF n00b

I will agree with previous posters and suggest that you shoot both models before making a choice. I bought a G17 without first shooting a G19. I'm not in any way dissatisfied with my G17 but the grip on the G19 fits my hand slightly better. Although, the comfort gained with the grip of the G19 is offset by slightly increased recoil. I wanted a GSSF gun, so I bought the large frame 9mm because it would be cheaper to shoot with and easier controlled under rapid fire conditions at matches.

With this having been said...I want more Glocks....

9. Seawolf

Seawolf

Interesting info on the G23 and I will have to look into that. I've always carried 40S&W on duty and I don't have anything bad to say about it, but I guess I was just looking to try something new and that's why I started looking at the 9mm. Worst case scenerio you can never have enough guns. lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I'm not knocking anyone who shoots 9mm, I do as well, but for SD purposes that argument doesn't hold any water with me when the 9mm rounds you shoot recoil just as much as the 40SW loads.......

11. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

12. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I had exactly the opposite reaction. I find full sized Glocks a bit awkward and uncomfortable, but the G19 is just perfect! You can't be sure which will work in your hands until you try them both.

This is actually not a bad idea either, and one I sometimes wish I'd considered. Had I known more about all things Glock before I bought my gun I might have gone with a 23 for the conversion options. However I don't like shooting .40, .357 Sig is virtually non-existent where I live, and 3 different barrels and two different sets of mags adds a lot to the overall cost of a gun. Flexibility is nice, but not at the expense of ammo and range time.

13. wws

wws

I totally agree with Glocker_221. I was up in the air on which one to buy for months. I went to the gun shop and rented both. After a half hour of shooting both mind was made up, it was going to be the G17.
    I'm 6'3" 210 lbs and have big hands. The G17 just felt better. Depending on your size you may be able to conceal carry it if you choose to.
    The G17 is my gun of choice and never regretted buying it.

14. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

If you want a gun you can easily find plentiful ammo for, buy a 23.Even Walmart always has 40 S&W in stock.Then you have the option of adding a 9mm conversion barrel for range work.

15. rockapede

rockapede

The capacity argument still applies though. I carry .40 for SD, but I'm just saying.

16. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

To me the 17/22/31 are great and you can easily make a long slide out of them

As far as general shooters I like the 19/23/32-you can conceal it easily and it is a GREAT range gun also
    The 2nd & 3rd GEN compacts feel better in my hand than the full size's(which don't feel bad at all)
    Also the bigger cap mags fit
    I carry 13+1 and a G22 mag --15 more

the 23/32 platform to me make more sense
    $100 and some mags and your shootin cheaper 9mm swill
    Put the factory barrel back in it and you have an effective gun for home and travel

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  17. tango44

tango44

G19 or G19 RTF2 with my eyes closed any day!

18. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

19. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

I have a G20/29 and for the years that I owned it I NEVER bought another barrel and NEVER shot ammo through it other than 10mm. If I bought the 40, I'd probably NEVER buy the 9mm barrel let alone 9mm and mags and shoot it.

I think I'm just going to go with one caliber and stick with it. I don't like lots of different calibers laying around anyways.

I will have 9mm for a pistol, and my keltec Sub2k, and I have .223 for the AR. The only reason I have .45 is because I got a great pistol from my dad. I never shoot it but it's nice to have.

20. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

IF YOU WANT TO BUY ONLY ONE GUN NOW....

... Glock 19 is a best choice for concealed carry and home defense.... it fits both perfect.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY MORE THAN ONE.

Cheers :cheers:
    Sandy.