G19 Gen5 apparently not for me.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by inthefrey, Sep 21, 2019.

1. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

So, I'm new to this part of the GT woods so go easy on me.

A while back a buddy of mine takled me into trading my G19v4 for a v5. Since I've owned it, it probably has not seen over 200 rounds.

Now, the v4 had seen several thousand rounds, was fun to shoot and always accurate.

* Flame suit on. Deflectors at maximum!**

I have tried everything to get the G19v5 to shoot where I'm pointing it. No luck! I have tried every single back strap that it came with, changing my grip, having experts watch me shoot it and give me pointers. No luck! So! I will be tradding this thing in tomorrow for a new G19v4. It just wasn't for me.... Everything is tight groups left. Like 4" at 25 yards! I could hit the center of the freaking target with a rock from that distance!

Anyone else have a problem figuring out how to make this damn thing shoot straight??

*Preparing the Verbal Carbonite chamber*
    Commence firing! I'll listen... Shot a friend's gen 4 today. Dead on... Tight groups in the center at 25yds.

Darkangel1846, michael_b and B C like this.
  2. John_AZ

John_AZ

Didn’t have any problems shooting mine accurately. Just didn’t like it. Sold it and stuck with Gen 3

rfd339, G19 DB and inthefrey like this.

3. peng

peng

Why not try pushing the rear sight - they can get knocked around sometimes or set wrong at the factory, it happens.

4. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Again, I have no clue what's going on. Just going back to what works.

5. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

It is virtually a brand new firearm and the rear sight is dead center. A 4-5-inch pull at 25 yards?

6. DrewBone

DrewBone

There's no need for the Nomex flame suit Mr. frey; some here do tend to be quite sensitive when others don't share their enthusiasm in regards to their steadfast love of the latest and greatest anything from Glock, including keychains(LOL), but the reality of the matter is this...just because something's new never guarentees that whatever it is will make you happy or provide you with better results when compared to a previous or earlier version of the same thing.

In the Glock arena, they really haven't produced anything of late that appeals enough to me to justify spending the $$ on another one...I already own 10 different models. And of those 10, I consider none of them, a combination of Gen2's, 3's, and 4's to be optimal due to what I consider their less than admirable ergonomics across the board, though admitedly they work, but so do the many other different manufacturer's models I own - which see more use both at the range and concealed on my person for self defense.

So if you're unhappy with your Gen5, consider it part of a learning curve, and simply move on, and I for one will think no less of you. We've all got to make ourselves happy, but sometimes it involves a little leg work, a little trial and error, some disappointment, and unfortunately sometimes a loss of $$...and that's why it's important to if at all possible rent and shoot that new popgun you're thinking about before simply letting your friends (although I'm sure they mean well) or the massive "hype" that's usually generated by the introduction of new models get ahold of you in regards to "new" models boasting superficial attributes like forward serrations, silver slides, oh, and the newfangled introduction of potpourri combinations of already existing but different size frame and slide formats.

You'll be ok ;)

rfd339, Geneb67, Bus007 and 2 others like this.
  7. Americanpatriot

Americanpatriot

I'd give you.some suggestions but you already made up your mind. If something else works for you better than stick with that model

michael_b likes this.
  8. jr24

jr24

I sure as heck couldn't hit the center of a target at 25 yards with a rock. Did you mean feet?

Anyhow, removing the grooves made me shoot left a bit on my 19x compared to my 17. The answer was my grip, specifically more offhand support.

Resolved it and now I shoot all the Glocks dead on all the time, grooves or no.

But if you're already getting rid of it, it's a moot point.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  9. mc1911

mc1911

If a gun fits me ,shoots where it is supposed to shoot and is reliable, it never get rid of it.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  10. Chui

Chui

One thing with Glocks - and probably others.

Wherever the rear sights are located in the dovetail is where the sights MUST remain if you wish to hit what you’re aiming at.

Most sights are slightly to the right to very much to the right.

If you drift these to mechanical center the pistol will shoot to the left. This is true for me. I’m right handed. A left handed person may love a pistol with the sights slightly to the right of center which would indicate that something the shooter is doing (perhaps caused by human anatomy or pistol geometry - or both) causes this.

The Glock 19/23 is the worst with the “hump” in the grip. I shoot the 19X point of aim, point of impact but with the Model 19 having different frame geometry being prominent where it should not be any additional flexing of my dominant hand as I press the trigger will send that bullet left of point of aim - sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly.

Perhaps the loss of finger grooves with the Gen 5 ha exacerbated the condition where you have to dissect your grip and firing sequence. It’s worth doing such that you KNOW but at the end of the day you need what works. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

No flames here and your issue is also a no-brainer...stick with what works for you...go back to the gen-4 and chalk it all up to experience...while we Glock lovers can be a bit fanatical at times, we also understand All Glocks are Not for All people...

Deputydave likes this.
  12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Why do people trade guns?

4" left at 25 yards isn't much. If it is a tight group be happy and just drift the rear sight a couple milimeters.

13. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Plus one. "Tight groups left" does not a bad gun make. The "tight groups" are the important part, left is an easy fix. You understand that those sights are adjustable, right? Four inches at 25 yards isn't very far off, an easy right drift. I have a Glock that actually shot to the right when it was new.

14. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

You know, I tried that and could hit the paper. However, it's an "instinct" thing. everything else I own works with no compensation. When really counts, autonomics and muscle memory would.be in control and I'd point it where the sight picture was correct, and miss!

Chui likes this.
  15. Scott1970

Scott1970

Potato - potahto, it’s no big deal.

I despise Gen 4 Glocks, which my PD issues, but I finagled my way into being allowed to carry the Gen 5 45. And I couldn’t be happier with it.

16. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I think the suggestion, maybe i'm wrong, was to physically move your sight to the right. I agree about not simply aiming to the right or not using proper sight alignment.

BigMick and inthefrey like this.
  17. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

OP, Just a quick question, I'm not flaming you, just clarifying. You do understand that the vast majority of guns with adjustable sights need the "compensation" of sight adjustment to center their POI at distance (25 yards and farther), right? I can only think of one handgun that I own that did not need some sight adjustment, even if it was very minor, to hit center at 25 yards and beyond. I bring this up because once obtained, your' new gen 4 may not be centered at 25 yards either.........

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    cascadetactical and inthefrey like this.
  18. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Okay, I'm open to learn but, I honestly have never had to move a factory-adjusted sight. Never! Is there a favorite or recommended one of these gizmos?
    Screenshot_20190921-093610.png

19. porschedog

porschedog

OP needs to let someone else shoot the evil, cursed, haunted, malevolent, icky Gen 5 to see how it treats them. If the gun hits where the other person points it, we may have a Clue. If the other person finds it also to be evil, haunted, cursed, malevolent and downright not nice, it’s the gun.

The bottom line is some folks like Gen 5, others prefer Gen 4. I prefer Gen 3, so there’s that. No wrong choices, just preferences.

MrGlock21, Ghost doctor and inthefrey like this.
  20. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum