Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,184 Posts
It looks like your recoil assembly broke. I had that or similar happen while shooting my G27 at the range. The front of the RSA protruded out of the hole. It took a little force to get it apart. After a new RSA it was as good as new - actually better, since it never happened again (5K+ rounds).

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. It was actually protruded further but I attempted to slowly push the spring back in.

I just got it apart as I received your response. The spring doesn't look broke but I guess there is an issue with it because after the first time I shot and cleaned it happened but not to the point of where I could not get it apart.
It was really stuck this time as the spring was actually sticking out quite a bit before I pressed on it. I had to push on the spring while pulling on the slide and the trigger then it popped loose.

· Millenium #3936
6,686 Posts
This same thing happened to me.. I do not know what caused it and it has not happened again and I cannot repeat the malfunction. I am at a loss as well.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
I had that happen to me once, on a GEN three of some type? No harm done,as I recall.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Same thing happened to me re-assembling a friends BRAND NEW G19--unfortunately outcome not so good for me--being stuck, with trigger forward,I pulled the trigger...... causing the slide to fly across the table, tumble to the ground, bending rear corner of slide.....Grrrrr. Sent to Glock, couldn't talk them int seeing it as a factory problem :dunno:so I was in for cost of a slide!

I was easily able to reproduce by reassembling with recoil spring poorly seated...now smartly catching the slide as it flew off the frame!

This made me really doubt new recoil assembly.....never happened with any gen3 or previous gen in all my years cleaning Glocks before. However, I have since purchased gen 4 G20 and G42.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, Explain what instructions I should follow when I double check to make sure the RSA is seated properly in the front and set into the rounded groove on the barrel. ???
Enlighten me, Please.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
Okay, Explain what instructions I should follow when I double check to make sure the RSA is seated properly in the front and set into the rounded groove on the barrel. ???
Enlighten me, Please.
You have it there. My hat's off to anyone who has never blundered putting the RSA back. I bet some of us have even reassembled without putting it in at all.

One thing to watch out for is removing the slide and then quickly putting it back on the receiver without reseating the RSA - the RSA shifts out of the assembly position when you put it on the gun.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always check. It's the second time it's happened and I've only field stripped it three times total.
This is the only pistol to ever do this. I was told by my LGS that I might want to invest in an aftermarket RSA but I prefer not to mod things out.

· Registered
807 Posts
When they say "properly seated RSA" they are talking about the rear part touching the barrel.

It needs to be in the "closer to the barrel" notch for assembly. After the slide is on the gun, the RSA migrates to the "further from the barrel" notch. If you install the slide onto the frame with the RSA in the wrong notch you can experience the problem you noted.

Edmo

· Banned
6,834 Posts
This is NOT a Gen4 vs. pre-Gen4 issue as some wish to believe. It can happen to any Glock using a dual captive recoil spring assembly...and those have been in use since the 1995 Gen2.5 G26 and G27 subcompacts were introduced. The heel of the RSA in an assembled Glock rests on a polymer surface immediately in front of the slide lock. But there is a polymer step in the sides of the dust cover in front of the slide lock (by about 0.5 to more than 1 inch depending on model) on which the RSA heel may hang when the slide/barrel/RSA is being installed on the frame, if the heel was not properly seated in the assembly recess in front of the barrel underlug. There should never be ANY RSA compression until the slide has been positioned almost its full length over the frame. If compression begins before that, then the RSA heel has hung up on those internal dust cover steps. Reassembly should be halted, the slide should be removed, and the RSA heel should be reseated.

RSA heel hang up on the dust cover steps occurs most commonly when the slide/barrel/RSA has just been loosened for removal from the frame, then is pulled forward about an inch, then is pulled rearward to reverse the pistol disassembly instead of continuing to fully remove the slide from the frame.

As the slide/barrel/RSA is installed on the frame, the lower half of the RSA heel butts against the vertical polymer surface in front of the slide lock. As the slide is pulled back fully, the RSA is tilted upward and the RSA heel is forced down fully to the bottom of the dust cover just in front of the slide lock. Later, when the slide/barrel/RSA is removed from the frame, the lower front edge of the barrel underlug contacts the upper edge of the RSA heel. If one now looks at where the RSA heel is resting, he will find that it is NO LONGER FULLY SEATED in its barrel underlug recess. It will *sometimes* be in a position where it can hang up on those dust cover steps if the slide/barrel/RSA is placed back on the frame without reseating the RSA heel beforehand.

Of course, it is possible to improperly position the RSA during pistol reassembly to cause this problem, but it most likely usually happens inadvertently after the slide/barrel/RSA has been loosened, pulled forward or off the frame, and then replaced without once more reseating the RSA heel in the barrel underlug recess.

Reactions: March817
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.