Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd glock. I started shooting USPSA last yr.
G35 gen 3 for USPSA
G4 27 for CCw
G4 19 for both

So I got this new G19 Gen 4. Really hating the sharp target trigger that it comes with. What other models will fit it to swap it out?
I can shoot it just fine, I just don't like the feel of the trigger at all. I got a really good deal on it being a brand new unfired blue label gun, but now it's time to fine tune it for my liking.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
I replaced my GEN4 G19 trigger with a GEN4 trigger for a G17 -
Glock part # 3608

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-O...r-for-the-G37-and-Gen4-G17/productinfo/G3608/

You can use a GEN3 G17 trigger also - someone will be along shortly and tell you that is a better choice. :dunno:

I did use a GEN3 G17 trigger in my GEN3 G19 - Glock part # 357

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-OEM-Trigger-w_Trigger-Bar-For-G17_22_31_34_35/productinfo/G357/

Midway may be cheaper - depends on shipping - Glockmeister charges a flat $4 for orders under $20.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...igger-bar-glock-17-22-31-34-35-smooth-trigger

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would the Gen3 be better than the 4? Doesn't really matter I guess, but I would like to order the best one.
And thanx for responding so fast.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Why would the Gen3 be better than the 4? Doesn't really matter I guess, but I would like to order the best one.
The GEN4 trigger bar has a little bump on it - far as I can tell that is the only difference - look at the picture on the Glockmeister web site - you can see the little bumpy -

I think some people think the bump causes extra friction -

I decided to use a GEN4 in my GEN4 because Glock must know something I don't know - if they took the time to put a bumpy thing on the trigger bar that is good enough for me - why should Z71bill think he knows more about a Glock pistol than Glock? :rofl:

I did not fire my GEN4 G19 before replacing the trigger -

My GEN4 G19 with the GEN4 G17 trigger seems just about the same as the GEN3 G17 trigger feels in my GEN3 G19. :cool:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The gen3 trigger does not have the outer protrusion on the trigger bar striker safety block cam. This protrusion, or bump if you wish, rubs against the inner rail on the right side of the slide, presumably to keep the cam in "perfect" alignment as it contacts and raises the striker safety block. This creates a slight drag and can be felt in the first stage of the trigger (pre-travel).

Consider the trigger from the G17 since it has a smooth face, unlike the target trigger which is serrated.

If you do use a trigger from a gen3 in your gen4, just make sure to put the gen4 trigger back in if you have to send your gun out for warranty work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, now I see what the difference your all talking about. I was asking because of not wanting to get into a compatibility issue. My Gen4 27 has that bump. I noticed it when I was cleaning it and the G3 35 one night after practice. Never really understood why they made that change. I know the 27 is sometimes finicky putting the slide back on because of the bump, but it's been 100% reliable.
I've put about a 1000rds in the 27 and the bump has polished itself a bit but the slide shows no wear where it would make contact.
When I got the 19 I put about 300rds through it and just don't care for the sharpness of the trigger. It does group good and it has the new ejector in it so no casings to the face. It is a bit gritty, so I did the .25 trigger job on it to try to smooth it out a bit. I can't say it made that much of a difference. I think it just needs to wear in from shooting it which I am more than willing to do. I'm just trying to set the gun up for some back up use with the 35. I like having options. Who knows, I might just shoot it better. It sure gets back on target quicker with smaller caliber.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
BTW - I didn't notice your Join Date: September 2013 or you post count -

Welcome to GT! :wavey:

·
Registered
628 Posts
When I got my Gen 4 26 the trigger was horrible, it dragged more then a little. I though the gun was defective and was ready to send it to Glock until I did a little research. Replaced it with a Gen 3 and now it feels like the rest of my Glocks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Gen3 trigger bar is Part # G357. It's does not have the hump in the trigger bar.

I am currently running #G357 in both my G17 Gen4 and G26 Gen4. No reliability issues. I prefer the feel over the stock Gen4 trigger bar with the hump.

Give a quick view of this youtube video and the difference should be clearer: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8Qt8ofCAw"]GLOCK GEN 4 PROBLEMS? WATCH THIS!! - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
I wonder if the engineers at Glock that were responsible for adding "the bump" did any testing?

Imagine if you go in to the design meeting and say -

We do not have any issues with the current trigger - but we want to add a bump on the top so it will give the trigger a more gritty feel.:upeyes:

The comment about sending your GEN4 Glock in for warranty work with a GEN3 trigger installed -can I assume Glock with change it back to a GEN4 trigger?

Why would they do that?

:dunno:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wonder if the engineers at Glock that were responsible for adding "the bump" did any testing?

Imagine if you go in to the design meeting and say -

We do not have any issues with the current trigger - but we want to add a bump on the top so it will give the trigger a more gritty feel.:upeyes:

The comment about sending your GEN4 Glock in for warranty work with a GEN3 trigger installed -can I assume Glock with change it back to a GEN4 trigger?

Why would they do that?

:dunno:
Why would they do that? Well one explanation for the hump, which makes sense to me, was covered by SouthernBoyVA in his post above, and in the video at 4:40.

Keep in mind that #G357 is a $15 Glock OEM part. If you prefer the feel of the Gen3 trigger on your Gen4 (which many people do) one option is to try #G357 (as many people have).

All I can say is, I was shooting a Gen3 G17 in USPSA before moving to a Gen4 G17. I was used to the Gen3 trigger feel in a competition environment and didn't like the feel of the stock Gen4 trigger. I swapped in #G357 at the recommendation of other competition shooters. My personal evaluation was; 1) It resolved the Gen4 trigger issue, 2) It did so without any reliability issues. I have since installed it on my G26 Gen4 which is my HD gun. Once again, no reliability issues experienced with my Gen4 G26 either. YMMV.

I'm not a Glock engineer, so I don't lose sleep over having to explain my thoughts at Glock design meetings. I am a software engineer/developer and feel that many 'enhancements' approved at our design meetings are questionable... Especially if they impact 'user experience' or performance for our current customers.

If it's not worth $15 for you to try it.... Live with the Gen4 trigger or try something else. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
The Gen 3 .45 (ACP not sure about .45CRAP I mean GAP) and 10mm have had that bump for years. My G30 from 2007 has it and that pistol with no polishing or connector replacement has the smoothest trigger of all my Glocks with nothing more than 2000 rounds through it to smooth it out. I assure you, that bump is not causing grittiness or drag in the trigger pull. If you want to feel a gritty trigger, pick up any M&P that hasn't had the Apex kit installed.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Why would they do that? Well one explanation for the hump, which makes sense to me, was covered by SouthernBoyVA in his post above, and in the video at 4:40.

Keep in mind that #G357 is a $15 Glock OEM part. If you prefer the feel of the Gen3 trigger on your Gen4 (which many people do) one option is to try #G357 (as many people have).

All I can say is, I was shooting a Gen3 G17 in USPSA before moving to a Gen4 G17. I was used to the Gen3 trigger feel in a competition environment and didn't like the feel of the stock Gen4 trigger. I swapped in #G357 at the recommendation of other competition shooters. My personal evaluation was; 1) It resolved the Gen4 trigger issue, 2) It did so without any reliability issues. I have since installed it on my G26 Gen4 which is my HD gun. Once again, no reliability issues experienced with my Gen4 G26 either. YMMV.

I'm not a Glock engineer, so I don't lose sleep over having to explain my thoughts at Glock design meetings. I am a software engineer/developer and feel that many 'enhancements' approved at our design meetings are questionable... Especially if they impact 'user experience' or performance for our current customers.

If it's not worth $15 for you to try it.... Live with the Gen4 trigger or try something else. :dunno:
You sort of missed the whole point of my post -

I have both GEN3 & GEN4 trigger bars for a G17 - I said this in my first post - I have no problem what so ever - I can swap them between guns all I want -

Just wondering what Glock engineers were thinking - if adding the bump changed things in a negative way (for many) - and provided no real benefit - then why did Glock bother making the change?

It also seems strange that if you send a GEN4 in to Glock with a GEN3 trigger bar - they will spend the extra $ to put a GEN4 trigger in it before they ship it back.

Why would they do this?

I have been in many design meetings - if anyone recommended a change and had no reason for it they would have gotten kicked in the butt.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That pumb is there to ensure that the trigger bar always depresses the firing safety block. Sometimes the magazine, and certain movements of the magazine can push the trigger bar so far to the right that the trigger bar can't depress the firing safety block, and causes the gun not to fire. There is no play room between the mag and the trigger bar in most Glocks. The tap of the trigger bar which depresses the firing pin safety block sits already pretty far to the right without pushing it, a bit more and it might not be able to depress the safety block. But it has to be as far right as possible, otherwise the tap would get in the way when the gun feeds, this is easy to see when you lock the slide back and see how close the feed ramp and the tap is. The pumb on the tap works as a limiter.

If you look at your gen4 frame, you will see that the frame is warped inward right where the trigger bar runs along on the inside of the frame, this is an additional feature to the bump. Glock engineers wanted to make sure that that tap on the trigger bar never fails to depress the safety block!

I think it's a rare occurrence that the tap fails to depress the safety block, but I guess it can happen under certain circumstances. When the mag body is slightly out of spec, or when you bench rest your Glock with all the weight resting on the magazine.

This is one of my magazines which shows rub marks from the trigger bar on the right side.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Gen 3 .45 (ACP not sure about .45CRAP I mean GAP) and 10mm have had that bump for years. My G30 from 2007 has it and that pistol with no polishing or connector replacement has the smoothest trigger of all my Glocks with nothing more than 2000 rounds through it to smooth it out. I assure you, that bump is not causing grittiness or drag in the trigger pull. If you want to feel a gritty trigger, pick up any M&P that hasn't had the Apex kit installed.
The word 'gritty' was used by Z71bill... It was not used by the OP, by me, or by the guy in the video.

What I didn't like about the trigger of my stock Gen4 G17 was the increased 'pull weight' over my Gen3 G17 (not increased 'gritty-ness' or reduced 'smooth-ness'). Those terms can be relatively subjective.

A Gen4 trigger bar with the hump has a higher trigger pull than a Gen3 trigger bar... in the same gun. The difference can be objectively measured with a scale.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You sort of missed the whole point of my post -

I have both GEN3 & GEN4 trigger bars for a G17 - I said this in my first post - I have no problem what so ever - I can swap them between guns all I want -

Just wondering what Glock engineers were thinking - if adding the bump changed things in a negative way (for many) - and provided no real benefit - then why did Glock bother making the change?

It also seems strange that if you send a GEN4 in to Glock with a GEN3 trigger bar - they will spend the extra $ to put a GEN4 trigger in it before they ship it back.

Why would they do this?

I have been in many design meetings - if anyone recommended a change and had no reason for it they would have gotten kicked in the butt.

Nowhere did I say there was no benefit to the hump on the trigger bar. The benefit of the hump has been stated in this thread several times, as well as in the video.

Let me understand where you are coming from: Do you disagree that the Gen4 trigger bar w/ hump produces a higher trigger pull compared to the Gen3 trigger bar w/o the hump in the same gun?

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
The word 'gritty' was used by Z71bill... It was not used by the OP, by me, or by the guy in the video.

What I didn't like about the trigger of my stock Gen4 G17 was the increased 'pull weight' over my Gen3 G17 (not increased 'gritty-ness' or reduced 'smooth-ness'). Those terms can be relatively subjective.

A Gen4 trigger bar with the hump has a higher trigger pull than a Gen3 trigger bar... in the same gun. The difference can be objectively measured with a scale.
I said "gritty :upeyes:" the :upeyes: is used as a way to show sarcasm.

I have already stated that "My GEN4 G19 with the GEN4 G17 trigger seems just about the same as the GEN3 G17 trigger feels in my GEN3 G19. :cool:"

"just about the same" - means not much difference

The :cool: means that is good.

No doubt you can swap out trigger bars and get changes in trigger pull weight. :shocked: (means shocked but I an not really shocked)

:wavey: (means have a nice day)

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Nowhere did I say there was no benefit to the hump on the trigger bar. The benefit of the hump has been stated in this thread several times, as well as in the video.

Let me understand where you are coming from: Do you disagree that the Gen4 trigger bar w/ hump produces a higher trigger pull compared to the Gen3 trigger bar w/o the hump in the same gun?
No - I don't disagree with there being minute differences in trigger weight between different parts. :yawn:(:yawn: means I am starting to get bored)

I bet if you tested 100 GEN3 and then 100 GEN4 trigger bars in the same gun you would find all sorts of small variations. :yawn:

Maybe even find a few GEN4 trigger bars that have a lower trigger pull weight than some GEN3 trigger bars. Do you disagree with this?

Bottom line is put whatever trigger you want in your gun - if it makes you happy it can't be a bad thing - and that goes for both real differences as well as imagined differences. :tongueout: :)tongueout: means I am making a joke)

When I decided which GEN trigger to use in my GEN4 G19 I decided to give Glock the benefit of the doubt and keep the same generation of part. No regrets - would make the same decision again - but would not criticize anyone if they want to make a different decision.

:wavey:

·
Registered
175 Posts
:yawn:(:yawn: means I am starting to get bored)
Gee... I'm sorry you are getting bored.

My issue is your posts expresses your opinion that Glock knows best... But it does not completely address or solve the OP's issue as I understand it:

1) He likes the trigger on his Gen3 G35.
2) He does not like the trigger on his new Gen4 G19.
3) His new Gen4 G19 does double-duty

I get your point; If Glock says you should use the Gen4 trigger bar, that's what you are going to use. Great! Good for you! But the fact is, your advice will result in having different trigger pulls between his three Glocks.

You admit you have not tried or tested the Gen3 trigger bar in your Gen4.
Why don't you try it since you have both and it would take all of 15 minutes? And why not measure the pull with a trigger scale why you are at it? At least you will have something of value to add... Instead of: "Glock knows best"..., "I'm bored...", and "I would bet..." (translation: Yeah, the guy in the video tested it with a scale and found the Gen4 trigger bar to be a full pound heavier than the Gen3 trigger bar... And I could test it myself and know for sure, so I could give sound advice... Nah... I'm too lazy and besides it's far easier to 'wing it' and up my post count ").

OP... I could be off base, but research if your Gen3 G35's trigger bar will fit in your Gen4 G19. If it does, you can test the 'humpless' Gen3 trigger bar and smooth (non-serrated) trigger in your new G19 for free in less than 15 minutes and decide for yourself. If it works you could have the benefit of having the same trigger (weight / feel / etc., etc.) in all three of your Glocks. Then do a little research. You'll find that a lot of people have tested and prefer the Gen3 trigger bar in their Gen4. Of course, Glock and Z71bill will tell you, "Oh no, don't do that, that's not a good thing".

I had the 'serrated' trigger on my G26 as well... No more.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

You are correct and I have done just that with two gen4's; a G17 and a G22. And the usual mods I do will not get the trigger pull weight of my gen4 G22 down to where my gen3 Glocks are with the same mods. The scale I use is a Lyman digital scale.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts