G19 gen 4 purchase anxiety

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by staunen2, Mar 10, 2017.

1. staunen2

staunen2

I'm looking to buy a Glock 19 gen 4 because of the simplicity, reliability, and durability many describe here, but am concerned about ejection issues. Online discussion of the problem seems to be all over the map - it only involved earlier production and it’s been fixed, or it only effected a few pistols and was wildly over-blown (and everything in between).

I rented gen 4s last weekend at two different ranges and “brass to face” was a problem with both. Could be my form is flawed, I've been shooting for a few years, but I'm not an expert; could be the rentals weren't well maintained, too. But, could it also be that the G19 simply has design problems?

Should I look at something else, take a $500 gamble, or simply buy with confidence?

Sorry ahead of time if this is a topic that's been done to death already (feel free to direct me to other threads here). Thanks to any willing to offer advice.

2. nikolaz

nikolaz

Those range Gen4s were probably some of the earliest ones that had the problems. Whatever you buy now will be fine.

3. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

No problems with my MOS version.

JJ Jim McQuade likes this.
  4. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

You can still buy a Gen 3 if you're concerned about the Gen 4. They're even a little cheaper.

I have a couple year old Gen 4. I've never had BTF, but I have had a couple drop inside my shirt collar. That will get your attention.

Buckshot Barry and Maxx702 like this.
  5. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

P
    please forgive my ignorance but what is MOS

6. OBG17

OBG17

I would get it. Range guns are like renting bowling shoes or golf clubs. The Gen 4 19 has the improved 30274 ejector in it. That, and the non-LCI bearing, is what I put in my Gen 3 19 which eliminated the BTF issue for me. I would also recommend the "minus" connector (the Gen 4 comes with the "dot" connector) for it. It made my Gen 4 21's trigger really nice without spending on an aftermarket one (I had them at one time).

MOS = Modular Optic System. See here - https://us.glock.com/mos/

jfusaro and JJ Jim McQuade like this.
  7. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Mine has a "born on date" of ~March, 2013. I've had a couple of minor issues, but BTF hasn't been one of them. And I'm at ~1500 rounds without issue.

8. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

Ok Thank You

9. birddog1

birddog1

I bought one last week, sold my g23 as well. I have only fired about 50 rounds so far and zero issues unless you count the one piece of brass that bounced off the wall of the range and hit me in the forehead. (I was in the far right lane) My wife got a kick out of it for some reason.

Aslan likes this.
  10. Mike-M

Mike-M

Most such problems reported in the past five years likely stem from using too infirm a hold on the pistol at time of fire. Glock pistols have extremely low-mass frames, especially as the magazine empties, and are thus very likely to show such problems with shooters who are accustomed to heavier-framed pistols. A very firm hold is required to make up for the lack of frame mass and inertia, otherwise the recoil velocity of the slide relative to the frame will be too low. That will have a major effect on the ejection pattern.

Also, the use of lightly-loaded light bullet weight ammo aggravates this effect by producing lower slide velocity.

You can determine if these are factors by trying those range Glocks again while using a consciously-applied very firm grip, and by using heavier-load ammo.

Gen4 G19s after their introduction in 2010 had the most Gen4 complaints, but those were resolved. There is no "design problem" and there is absolutely no reason to let baseless fear of mythical functional unreliability keep you from acquiring the best generation of Glock's most popular model. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Spallgard, Aslan and 72Cheyenne like this.
  11. JohnnyJ

JohnnyJ God, Family and Friends

Western Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi
    I have a 19 Gen 4. Purchased in Jan 2017. Fires just fine, no problems at all. I shoot perfecta ammo and sometimes winchester white box for target ammo.

Aslan likes this.
  12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

If you keep listening to the whiners you will never be happy with a Glock or any other pistol.

13. 2MANYGLOCKS

2MANYGLOCKS

I just bought a Glock 19 gen 4 with a born on date of 12/16. I've gone through about 500 rounds so far with brass to face happening frequently. I've tried 115, 124, and 147 grain ball ammo and it does it all the time. While I do consider it an issue, it doesn't bother me as long as the gun goes bang every time. I called Glock about it and they sent me a replacement recoil spring but that didn't solve the issue. If it bothers you I wouldn't pull the trigger on it cuz there's a possibility of it happening to you.

Squib308 likes this.
  14. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

It happens with a lot of manufacturers, I've seen recently this happening with the Sig P320s. Even high end Sig Legions having issues, in the end they are made by people so there will be a chance that there will be an issue. Buy, and shoot. If there is an issue Glock will no doubt take care of you. I personally have had issues with Sigs too, so it's not exclusive to just Glocks.

15. staunen2

staunen2

Glock pistols have extremely low-mass frames, especially as the magazine empties, and are thus very likely to show such problems with shooters who are accustomed to heavier-framed pistols. A very firm hold is required to make up for the lack of frame mass and inertia, otherwise the recoil velocity of the slide relative to the frame will be too low. That will have a major effect on the ejection pattern.
    (from Mike-M above)

Didn't think about this. My experience is all in a Sig sp2022, a good deal heavier than the G19. I guess this is why the rental G17 seemed less erratic - it's closer to my Sig in weight and size. Sounds like maybe the mechanics of the G19 isn't an issue, but that mine might be (as in, I'll have to retool the way shoot if I get the G19).

16. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

My G4-19 occasionally BTF'd. I picked up the APEX forged extractor as a back-up, mostly b/c I intended to use steel cased 9. It did seem to make ejection pattern more uniform. I then reinstalled the MIM extractor after dressing the surfaces as has been detailed here in a number of threads. Seemed to help.

But more than anything, I learned my technique was largely responsible. BTF resulted from visual focus lapse, making it go off instead of letting it go off. BTF itself aggravates the situation. If you think you're going to get hit, you do get hit b/c you're less likely to stay focused on the front sight.

Interestingly, I was sometimes prone to BTF from 1911s. The lesson learned from the G19 transferred to the 1911s.

17. hurley842002

hurley842002

I say get the anxiety issue under control first, something as minor as a pistol should not cause anxiety....

WeeWilly likes this.
  18. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

That's short for Modular Optic System. It has a removable plate in the top of the slide near the rear sight that can be swapped to fit various manufacturer's red dot sights.

19. MajorD

MajorD

Agreed 100% there is always going into to be dissatisfied customers and they are the ones that speak loudest. I have never quite understood why people make a big deal of a few cases bouncing toward you. The gun is running and who shoots without eye protection- should be nobody!
    I have often found when focusing on the task at hand when done shooting I may have a smudge mark or two on my face from brass(regardless of pistol, with brass bouncing off barricades and stage props etc) and did not notice this at all while shooting. I am old enough to recall when the choices of pistols were very limited ( long before glock hit the market) and getting a pistol that was reliable ( meaning could get through a fair number of rounds without a stoppage malfunction) was the exception rather than the rule even with hardball ammo. Pistols are available in higher quality reliability wise in a greater variety than ever before

20. staunen2

staunen2

Thanks for the input, folks. I think I'll head back to the range this weekend and decide between a 19 and a 17.