close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G19 gen 4 going back

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pn2, Apr 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pn2

Pn2

Just talked to Glock on the Brass to head and body issue with my G19.

They said, change the ammo, or send back and we will have a look.

Do I just send them UPS with a letter stating the problems any declarations to UPS etc.

I might just shoot a little more with some other ammo this weekend to see if anything changes.

2. Rustin

Rustin

SHOOT IT and stop worrying. I don't see a problem. If it jams, repeatedly, then you should consider sending it back.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

Does it have the 336 ejector or the 30274 ejector? If it has the 336 ejector, you might be better off finding a local Glock Certified Armorer and asking them to order and install the latest Gen4 9mm trigger housing for you, along with a "Gen4 dot" connector if your gun doesn't already have it.

If you want to send it to Glock, call them back and tell them you'd like to send your Gen4 in for the latest parts, and they should email you instructions on how to do so along with a form that you fill out describing any problems with it and what you want them to do with it, like update parts.

If you send it back yourself, it has to be sent UPS or Fedex next day/overnight, and you have to declare it as a handgun going back to the manufacturer for warranty work. Not all of the UPS and Fedex locations will accept it, it has to be from a main hub location. Alternatively you can ask a local FFL to send it back for you through USPS, only an FFL can send a firearm through USPS.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. Pn2

Pn2

PHP:
    Does it have the 336 ejector or the 30274 ejector? If it has the 336 ejectoryou might be better off finding a local Glock Certified Armorer and asking them to order and install the latest Gen4 9mm trigger housing for youalong with a "Gen4 dot" connector if your gun doesn't already have it.

Yes, it has the 30274 ejector and the 0-4-3 spring.

Thanks for the info on the shipping back through USPS through FFL.

PHP:
    SHOOT IT and stop worryingI don't see a problem. If it jams, repeatedly, then you should consider sending it back.
    It already has 1000 rds in it, it didn;t jam but for 2 times, but the Brass hitting the face and arm is bothering in the range. Yesterday one of the shell landed on the arm and it burned, my natural reaction was to jerk it off, while the hand in the trigger :shocked: (I know should have worn full sleeve !!!!!, but hey, it should function properly, I almost got a XD)

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

If it already has the 30274 ejector, it already has all of the latest parts and sending it back to Glock would probably be a waste of time. The erratic ejection is probably caused by the extractor not moving freely enough, I'd try a Lone Wolf-brand 9mm extractor.

Every report I've heard of the LWD 9mm extractor used with the 30274 ejector is that the ejection was good. Almost every report I've heard of using the LWD 9mm extractor with 336 ejector was that the ejection was worse than it was with the original extractor.

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Use Fed Ex but you need to call and ask for the locations that will accept it. I have send guns several times to and Fed Ex gave me less head aches and I was told by a UPS employee the guy in the big chair at UPS is anti gun.

:50cal:

7. bill1725

bill1725

If you haven't done this already, take it apart and clean out all of the gunk. Then lightly oil the slide and other parts recommended in the owner's manual. See if that does not help.

8. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I agree, sending it back to Glock is a waste of time and money. I would also try an lone wolf 9mm extractor, if that doesn't work I'd try an .40 S&W stock extractor or an different 9mm stock extractor.

My gen4 conclusion so far: A good gen4 shoots 115gr crap ammo with no problems and even asks for more. A bad gen4 shoots only high quality ammo reliable, if that.

9. 8th ID

8th ID

Sorry to hear about your problem Gen4. For shipping I have encountered less flack from Fed Ex.

You've gotten some good suggestions already on possible fixes. I'd start with the one that would burn less time and money--order a LWD extractor and try it. Make sure that the pistol is clean and install the extractor and go shoot.

Aside from that, it may come down to sending it back to Glock for a possible fix.

Good Luck. Would you please post any corrective action and the results? Thanks.

10. Pn2

Pn2

Thanks guys,

I was thinking about the LW extractor, but your advice confirmed the idea.

I have had the gun cleaned completely when I did the 3,5 ghost rocket job last week. Even polished the extractor completely.

Lets see how the LW extractor works, shall report back here.

11. Pn2

Pn2

Just ordered the extractor from LW, also ordered the Gen 3 SS spring with Gen 4 adaptor.

Will try everything to make this work, otherwise, I will be seen on the XD forums :)

12. 8th ID

8th ID

Pn2--

Just a suggestion. But it could be very important in diagnosing the problem. I suggest putting the pistol back to stock. And with it being stock, replace the extractor only. Then go shoot it. If you change/polish/replace more than one thing at once without testing each change, IMO you're just chasing the problem. When or if you isolate the problem and nail down a fix, you can then go back to your mods if you want.

Like I said before, just a suggestion. But I'd appreciate an update. Thanks.

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Let an experienced Glocker shoot your pistol, and use decent ammo. There are other factors that have an effect on brass ejection:

1. Slide velocity is ammo dependent. Not all 9mm ammo is created equally. Try some Speer Lawman.

2. Slide velocity can also be effected by grip/stance/posture

If you do send your pistol to Glock, all aftermarket parts will be removed and returned to you.

14. Pn2

Pn2

Thanks a lot for the advice, appreciate it, I was planning to do the same way.

These are the sequence I thought of :

1. LW extractor with stock Gen 4 spring
    2. LW extractor with Gen 3 spring
    3. Stock extractor with Gen 3 spring

Hopefully I would like the problem to go away from option 1, like it has for other people who have tried it. The other option are to try if that doe not happen (Idea being to run cheap ammo with gen 3 spring since the gun is good with strong ammo anyways).

Also would like to use the Gen 4 spring cos I like the way it feels the recoil, I tried a S&W and a G19 Gen 3, and the snap was different

15. Pn2

Pn2

HTML:
    Let an experienced Glocker shoot your pistol, and use decent ammo. There are other factors that have an effect on brass ejection:

1. Slide velocity is ammo dependent. Not all 9mm ammo is created equally. Try some Speer Lawman.

If you do send your pistol to Glock, all aftermarket parts will be removed and returned to you. 
    It shoots good with decent ammo, speer lawman is almost flawless.

I will remove the ghost if I send it back, right now I am trying to get it working on the cheap ammo too,

16. Pn2

Pn2

HTML:

Please give some specifics,

I think I have a good grip, my muzzle flip is controlled and I can get the sight back almost immediately,

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Grip: If you are letting your wrist, arm, elbow or shoulder move while firing, the movement can rob the slide of velocity necessary to cycle properly. Use a firm, but not death, two handed grip, with 60% of the grip strength with you weak hand, 40% strong hand.

Stance: If you are using a Weaver stance or Modified Weaver stance with weak ammo, you are likely to get beaned in the head. Try shooting with both arms extended completely

Posture: If you are arching your back, leaning backward, your pistol is going to recoil upward and not rearward as designed. Keep your chin down.

Ammo: Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ leaves the muzzle at 1,125 feet per second, while Speer Lawman exits at 1,200 fps--a significant difference.

18. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Bingo. Would you expect your car to run well on crappy gas? Your kids on junk food?

Stick with quality ammo & if price is a concern start reloading.

19. Pn2

Pn2

Thanks for the tips, I was concentrating on the grip but will check the stance too, I am somwhere modified weaver, rest is as you have dscribed with the grip and leaning forward.

HTML:
    Ammo: Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ leaves the muzzle at 1,125 feet per second, while Speer Lawman exits at 1,200 fps--a significant difference. 
    I know of the velocities, and 1180 fps and above for Gen 4, but win wwb is 1190 fps and still throws back, American eagle is 1180 and it throws back sometimes.

HTML:
    Bingo. Would you expect your car to run well on crappy gas? Your kids on junk food? 

Stick with quality ammo & if price is a concern start reloading. 
    Good point, but doesn;t hold much, why are the other Gen 4 running Ok with the cheap ammo, and from what I understand there are a lot of them, sems to me some problem in design or QC.

Repeatabillity in performance is the key to any product and specially firearms, where more is at stake.

20. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

If you go & look at other gun forums, e.g., Walther, S&W M&P, SIG Forum, etc., you will see a myriad of posts by people having trouble with ammo such as Fed. Champion & UMC. You've already answered your own question so why keep asking? Your gun worked fine with GOOD ammo. What do you have to gain by shooting crappy ammo? I'd much rather have quality time shooting quality ammo that functions properly and is accurate.

Garbage in, garbage out. :wavey: