Glock 19 G19 Gen 3 vs Gen 5.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gnocchi, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Me too. I've bought one in Aug and one in Sept :)

dcowboyscr likes this.
  2. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The Gen 5 is by far the best Glock yet. The trigger has been redesigned and is much better. A better magazine release was introduced with the Gen 4 and carried over to Gen 5. The Gen 5 also did away with the unneeded third pin.

BUG'S, checkyoursix and ShipWreck like this.

3. Sig Fever

Sig Fever 98.SiG and Rising!

I disliked the finger grooves on my G19.3 and had Polymer Refined remove them, under cut the trigger guard, and gave it their CCW Stipple Job (Solar Cross Carry). It fits my hand perfect now, and the stippling gives me so much better purchase on the pistol. I wear large gloves so my hands are not that big. I also own a G17.3 and with semi-aggressive grip tape I do well with the finger grooves. The G43X has been calling to me, but I have that size covered. Unless it was the G43X MOS. LOL

4. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Understand is hard to live in CA, but there have been many discussions about the significant improvements the Gen 5 have brought to the table. I have loved my Gen3, but I find the Gen 5 vastly improved.

Unless one lives in a State where one can't buy it because of the roster, Gen5's are distinctly superior and even more durable than previous generations.

Papa glock and ShipWreck like this.
  5. Bradd D

Bradd D

If Gen 3 was all that, there wouldn't be a Gen 4 and now 5.

6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Not needed, except to meet consumer allegations of "idea stagnation" and market demands for "product innovation" - in the face of competition (every brand coming out with their own 20xx Shotshow version of their polymer framed striker with all bells and whistles that glock decided not to include in their products), and younger gun buyers coming into market wanting something "fresh".

We live in a world of "new and better" iphones, Corvettes, and Samsungs - every year-- the old one just won't do.

7. Bradd D

Bradd D

I owned Gen 3's for years. Gen 4 fixed the two things I disliked most. The huge aftermarket wouldn't exist if the Gen 3 was all that and a bag of chips.

We should all be carrying 1911's anyway, right?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Marketing. Glock's real genius.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  9. Bradd D

Bradd D

While I agree that Glock's marketing is pure genius, the Gen 4 is an improvement over the Gen 3. Better grip texture in lieu of stippling and a larger reversible mag release. It also offers different grip sizes for those that want it. The dual recoil spring is debatable. The internal improvements of the Gen 5 trump both. They resolve the biggest issues with previous generations.

The Gen 3 isn't better in any way and there's no need to keep making it.

JBP55 likes this.
  10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Not really. The Gen 5 Glock is pretty much a result of a gun the FBI had Glock build to spec.

halfmoonclip and ShipWreck like this.
  11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I have never shot a gen 5 but my G19 gen 3 has been flawless.

ShipWreck likes this.
  12. Bluescot

Bluescot

I have Glocks in gen 2, 3, and 4 and they all seem basically the same to me in that they are reliable durable and accurate. I leave the debate of which is "gooder" to others with one exception below.

That said if I'm interested in a Glock in a .40 S&W I do favor the gen 4 for the RSA and the interchangeable grip panels.

13. bitcoin

bitcoin

I personally love the gen 5 and was not that crazy about earlier gen glocks.

ShipWreck and Gfive45 like this.
  14. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

That's how I felt as well

15. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

At one time, had a 3, 4 and 5. Liked the OEM trigger in the 3 and the 5; sold the 4 to a buddy. The finger grooves fit, as does the grooveless 5.
    Moon

16. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

Gen5 feels great in-hand but when they came out there was NO .40/357sig and that did not make me happy at all..... So I built an AR lol no for real I did..

17. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

None of the Gen 4 changes really excite me. They're just different. Some really prefer the pyramid-shaped texture. But the G19 finger groves "work" for me, so I feel like I get pretty good purchase on the gun. And I've had more issues with mag releases being too easy to engage than vice-versa.

Maybe gen 5s are all that. Idk. Maybe I got a 3rd gen as my first Glock so that I can fully appreciate the improvements.

18. fldawgfan

fldawgfan

They will keep making them as long as they want to keep selling guns in the California civilian market.

19. Bradd D

Bradd D

Very true.

20. Blade37db

Blade37db

I have 2 Gen3 19s that I swore I would never get rid off. Not the best fitting for my smallish hands but I shoot them well. Just found a Gen 5 which I traded a Sig 365 for (liked it, couldn't trust it). Haven't shot the Gen 5 yet but it feels slightly smaller in my hand. Hoping it performs like my Gen 3s. If it does, maybe one of them goes away for a 2nd Gen 5.