Glock Talk banner

G19...Gen 3 vs. Gen 5

35718 Views 29 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  GeorgiaGlocker
I've owned a Gen 3, G19 for about 12 yrs now and absolutely love it. Probably the sweetest shooting gun I own. My question is what are the differences (other than grip) between a Gen 3 and 5? I'm thinking about trading in the Gen 3 for the Gen 5 but not sure what the net gain (if any) there will be. I appreciate your comments!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Banned
1,310 Posts
I shot 200 rounds through a Gen.5 G19 last week deciding if I wanted to buy one or not.Not impressed with the trigger compared to my Gen.3 G19.The only thing I did like was the no finger grooves.For me I will buy a Gen.3 or Gen.2 glocks or something other than glock.

· Registered
50 Posts
I have a 19 gen 5. I’m about 6k-7k rounds in. I just picked up a gen 3 fde 19 yesterday. So far I like the gen 3 more.

The gen 5 finish is great, I like the slide rounding like a 34, and shoots accurate.

My issues are the factory grip texture is too abrasive, and I hate the magwell cut as my pinky sits on it.

I’m really accurate with the gen 5, right now I just have Vogel sights. I ordered the same sights for the gen 3 and have a defensive pistol class I’m bringing the gen 3 next weekend. I took the same class last month with a gen 5 ( I have a class memebership) so I’m curious to see the difference in thoughts after 800-1000 rounds and 2 days.

· Have Gun Will Travel
3,464 Posts
Proud Gen2, 3, 4, and 5 owner here. Glad to see you decided to hang onto your Gen3. You can always sell it later if need be.

· Registered
6,255 Posts
Like you said, just add it to the collection. I have a Gen 3, 4, 5 and 19X, all excellent shooters. My Gen 3 is a Zev Tech Defender so probably doesn't count but the 19X is my favorite but they are all pretty much the same in terms of shootability.

· Registered
6,861 Posts
I've owned a Gen 3, G19 for about 12 yrs now and absolutely love it. Probably the sweetest shooting gun I own. My question is what are the differences (other than grip) between a Gen 3 and 5? I'm thinking about trading in the Gen 3 for the Gen 5 but not sure what the net gain (if any) there will be. I appreciate your comments!
If you love your 3 I’d suggest keeping it.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
I have 2 gen2 G-19's I had a gen3, but the finger grooves did not agree with me. I traded for a gen 2, and we get along just fine. I picked up a second one cheap, and found out it is an older one, with all black parts. Someone put a NY-1 trigger spring, without the coiled spring. I will change the spring back, and store it in my safe. The box did not have NY-1 on, 5.5 I think, so I'll put it back. I don't think it has been shot very much, just not showing any wear. But I don't figure it will be worth anything more than just a used gen2 G-19. But I can say that I have an older one.
I have been looking at the gen5, also thinking about a 3 & 4 also just to have a gen2,3,4,5, M & X. Think I'll just stay where I'm at for now.

· NRA Member
791 Posts
I would keep your Gen 3 even if you purchase a Gen 5. You will probably miss the Gen 3 if you trade it in and want another. The biggest differences between the two would be the trigger pull and the grip design. The Gen 5 feels strange to me without the finger grooves I have grown so accustomed to over the years but it shoots great.

· Registered
632 Posts
Though I’m sometimes tempted, I have a policy of not trading away guns that function at 100% and that I can shoot well. When I was younger, and funds were more limited, I traded away or sold several guns I’d love to have back. That list includes two gen2 19s, a gen3 26, a S&W 6906, an Italian Beretta 92fs Inox, and a S&W 686. Now I’m depressed. Keep the gen3 19.

· Philippians 4: 6-7
12,955 Posts
I have not held or shot a gen 5. I would never let my early gen 3 go. It has been flawless.

Reactions: FLGuy
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.