G19 gen 2 six part upgrade

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by lapicito, May 3, 2012.

1. lapicito

lapicito

Hi all,

I just got a brand new G19 gen 2, made around 1989 according to SN letters, this gun is awesome. I was searching in the internet and discovered that back in 92 Glock made an "upgrade" of six parts: Extractor, Spring-loaded bearing, Firing pin safety and spring, Firing pin / striker and Trigger bar.

I called Glock and they told me that they can upgrade it for free but i have to send it overnight throughout Fedex or UPS to Smyrna or i can go to a gssf tournament and they can upgrade it there.

My questions are: are this upgrade really necessary. Can any Glock armorer do it and what would be the cost. i am in Fairfax County in Northern VA

Thank you all for your help.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Yes. It depends, some Glock Armorers will charge for their services. They should be able to order the kit from Glock under Warranty and replace the parts for you once the kit comes in if they don't already have the parts on hand.

You could ask around at your local gun stores if they know a Glock Certified Armorer. You could also look at Glock's website, in the upper right hand corner there's a "Dealer/Range Locator" box where you can enter your zip code and find Glock Stocking Dealers and LE Dealers in your area, they may have an Armorer on staff.
    http://us.glock.com/

If the trigger bar is coated black, it has the old parts. If it's coated silver, it likely has all of the newest parts.

I'd also check the slide lock spring, the old thinner slide lock springs were more prone to breaking and leaving a broken off piece in the frame that even Glock sometimes can't remove. The new slide lock springs are thicker and less prone to breaking. In the picture below, the old thin slide lock spring is on the left, the new thicker slide lock spring is on the right:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/gparts1106-12.jpg

3. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

its gonna cost you about $40 to send it back. If they do what for you what they did for mine, they will replace everything but the barrel, slide and frame. So its up to you to see if its worth it or not.

If you have the old U shaped mags, think twice about sending them back. If you send them back they will most likely send you new mags to replace them. Or you can sell them to our brothers behind the Iron Curtain known as NY and MA.

4. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

The upgrade improved on the safety of the pistol, so if you still have the black parts in there definitely get it taken care of.

What I heard was that the NYPD used to function check their pistols by pulling back on the firing pin and letting it slam forward into the fp safety. This naturally caused some parts to eventually fail, so this upgrade took care of that. It also provided some relief cuts in the parts for fouling to move around in, and not completely gunk up the works.

Pick up some new full-metal-lined magazines as well and put the old ones away.

5. bac1023

bac1023

:welcome:

The question would be better asked in General Glocking.

6. lapicito

lapicito

Thank you so much all for your recommendations.