Glock Talk banner

G19 for the wife?

824 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Sonnytoo
Well my wife is finally selling her Walther PK380, and I'm trying to move her up to a Glock 19.
Should she get a Gen 3 or Gen 4?
Any other suggestions, a G19 isnt carved in stone, but I'm really trying to steer her hard in that direction. I just want her to have something reliable! 9mm is a good cheap round we can shoot together.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
You know what people are going to say, right? "Get thee to the range and let the wife hold and fire some guns."

Here's what my wife fired and her thoughts:
Ruger SR9c: A bit heavy, didn't feel secure with the grip, liked external safety.
M&P9c: Nice grip, nice gun, likes that it can be ordered with external safety.
Springfield XD9sc: What the hell is this ugly thing? Get it away from me.
Glock 26: I LIKE IT. Best grip. Sexy gun.

Go figure, the two things people usually hate about glocks (looks and grip) are what sold her on one. Maybe you'll be just as lucky.

Regarding Gen3/Gen4... A new Gen4 should come with new improved internals... Seems like it's been out long enough now to have the kinks worked out. The grip will be a bit different between the two so it's again a "let her hold 'em and see" kind of thing.

· Registered
741 Posts
My wife really like "her" XD9SC. She does not like the G19 as the grip is too big for her. My wife is 5'9" so it's not that she has small hands. Obviously letting your wife go to a gun store and pick up a few to see what she likes is not a bad idea. A gen 4 may be better as they have a smaller grip but it's a gamble if you'll get a "good one"

I would take a look at the Springfield XD series. The grips are much smaller and tend to fit womens hands better. Also, they can be had new for $400 from online retailers and S.A. is doing a mail in 3 extra magazine for free promotion. Our XD has been flawless since day one.

· Registered
3,155 Posts
My wife carries a Gen 3 Glock 23. Great gun, as reliable as a Glock should be.

· Registered
382 Posts
Well my wife is finally selling her Walther PK380, and I'm trying to move her up to a Glock 19.
Should she get a Gen 3 or Gen 4?
Any other suggestions, a G19 isnt carved in stone, but I'm really trying to steer her hard in that direction. I just want her to have something reliable! 9mm is a good cheap round we can shoot together.
I did the same post, except it was for my daughter....and got nothing but endless crap from "internet geek experts"! You have to start her somewhere, and the 19 is the best place I can think of!!! I'm sticking with Gen 3 myself.

· Cannon Fodder
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the Gen 4 has a SLIGHTLY smaller frame (without straps) that I think she will like, and the larger mag release she should find easier to use, not to mention the dual recoil spring that should soften up the kick, but she doesnt like the RTF that the Gen 4's have. She held a Gen 3 and found the frame texture much easier to handle.
We may go and see how she likes the Springfield XD's. I think we need to shy away from Smith and Wesson, and especially Taurus though, as I havent heard good things about either of those.
In the end she may like the G26, but the one a have bit her finger twice, (mag gap pinch for some reason) so she is leary of that.

· Registered
289 Posts
First let me say that I think the 19 is a good place to start. Now that being said here is what I see ( I work at a range, do some range so stuff and teach new shooters the basics when we aren't to busy) most guys come in with their wife or GF and say this is the gun for you sweetie with little or no regard for what they think and then they try to teach them themself. There is a bunch wrong with that starting with her hands are different then yours and the way she perceives recoil is also different. While teaching your significant other the basics is ok after she has that down get her some professional instruction (hell I teach people everyday and this is my next step for mine) the reason is simple we all have preconcieved notions about the woman we love (not bad one mind you) so we wont be objective in our instruction while an outsider will be. Honestly get her to the range let her handle some guns and if possible shoot the ones she likes to find what's right for her, be honest you wouldn't like it if somebody tried to steer you to a gun you didn't like because they felt they new best so why is your wife any different.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
Regarding the Glock 19, you would be better off with the Gen 3, IMO. If it were my wife, I wouldn't take any chances with spotty reliability.:upeyes: Just my 2 cents.
You do know that the Gen 3 9mm are doing the same thing the Gen 4's are doing dont you? :upeyes:

· Cannon Fodder
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the same post, except it was for my daughter....and got nothing but endless crap from "internet geek experts"! You have to start her somewhere, and the 19 is the best place I can think of!!! I'm sticking with Gen 3 myself.
I may have seen that thread. I've been a lurker here for a while. If I remember I did think they were a little harsh on you. I am hoping they dont jump all over me.
As for now I'm just trying to get ideas on what to go look at, and rooting for the Glock as her final choice. My G17 and G26 have been practically flawless! They have never failed to go bang and deliver a projectile near the point of aim. (Even when my daughter limp wristed the G17!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.