G19 aims high?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ws669, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ws669

ws669

have a gen 4 g19 with an oversized guide rod. I put a sightmark lasser bore sight in and noticed the laser is higher than the front sight when aimed. Is this normal? All my other non glock 9s were right on.

I saw somewhere that blocks aim high with sightmark because of the extractor. I removed the extractor and nothing changed.

2. jamppp

jamppp

How does it shoot?

3. ws669

ws669

Doesn't
    Shoot bad. I mainly practice at short distances. Was just wondering deri f if this was normal. All my other 9mm were right on. Just seems odd glock would be so off

4. Repeat

Repeat

Shoot it to verify. I've had two rifles bore sighted, and were waaayyyy off - my buddy had one too. I asked a smith about it, and he said sometimes the bore sight may be sitting in a rifling groove and give a false reading. I'm not sure I believe that, but I'll probably never bore sight again.

Mahalo_.357sig likes this.
  5. ws669

ws669

I'll try that out. All my other pistols were right on with the same bore sight. Didn't know if it was a known thing that glocks aimed high.

Repeat likes this.
  6. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Bore sighting is only to get you on paper - With a rifle, I usually do it and then start shooting at 25 yards. THEN, you dial it in.

Bore sighting will never be spot on. But, should be within a few inches.

Repeat likes this.
  7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You use the SightMark bore siter to very the iron sites, then adjust the laser to the bore sight. Extractor has nothing to do with it. Then check it out at 7 yards for POA/POI. Doesn't do new shooters any good to sight at 25 yards because they don't have the fundamentals down.

The SightMark is the ticker for dialing in a dot on a Carry Optic gun, I check mine at 17 yards and actual fire is the same.

Now a AR-15, I bore sight at 25 yards, then function fire at 35/300 yards.

Glock Commander likes this.
  8. ws669

ws669

7-10 yards the poi is consistently high compared to poa on iron sight on my glock 19. Every other 9mm sometimes a little left or right but never high.

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

ws, all that means is that the OEM sights are off. Or if it spot on for 115 gr, and you are running 147 it will be higher by an inch or so. So you need a taller front sight or shorter rear, that's all. I always change all mine out to either Heinie's or Dawson Precision's anyway.

10. GRR

GRR

Why are you bore sighting a pistol with iron sights? Are you trying to install adjustable sights? Who cares where the laser hits? Where does the bullet hit?

banger likes this.
  11. ws669

ws669

Burned through all my range ammo and got new sights. Dont want to spend 50 cents a round on range ammo. Wanted to make sure its good the easy way.

12. GRR

GRR

Are your new sights adjustable? Are they not standard height? Are you going to adjust your sights without actually firing a round? Other than as an experiment out of curiosity, I don’t see what you’re trying to do.

13. ws669

ws669

They are not adjustable. I will eventually take it to the range and fire it, but in my downtime I'm trying to zero it in without going to the range. I just find it odd that all my other 9mm are right on the dot but the glock poa is higher than poa, and its a decent amount too.

14. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

You need an aftermarket extractor. I recommend the one made by APEX.

Or maybe you could read the instructions and adjust the laser.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

15. ken grant

ken grant

Just how do you adjust a LASER BORE SIGHTER cartridge

16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

wes, ok, I misread the original and thought you tried bore sighting with a SightMark, and put on a Crimson Trace laser.

So you put an aftermarket guide rod in, the bore sighted it and it does not match the iron sights. Put the OEM guide rod in and check it. If it's still not right you need to change the sights. It's not uncommon for some Glocks to come with the wrong heights.