GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
MacGyver
6,996 Posts
Can't teach how to swing a golf club on the internet.
Spend money, pay for class. Get that Ah-ha moment when you realize that you have been holding the weapon and squeezing the trigger wrong. Learn from someone who knows what they are doing, not internet ninja/golf masters.

Watching you tube is the next best thing.
This is one of the best instructors, cuts through the dogmatic BS:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yOIL40dcQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rGtXh23I&t=6s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9d3_lufr4c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6dKcW6qmY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNNlb7QjfGI

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
cci, most casual shooters will not spend the money to have a USPSA GM or IDPA Master instruct them. They think they already know how to shoot, so it must be the ammo or the gun or both. Then they put on a ton of aftermarket magic crap, with no change. All of competition shooters will start with the same fundamentals: Stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then transitions and movement. It's not Bullseye pistol, it's not breathe and squeeze, it's grip it and rip it. Jerk the shieete out of the trigger without moving the gun, that's all. For newbies, grip is the most important of fundamentals. Shooting is after all, 99% the shooter, 1% gun and gear and ammo.

·
MacGyver
6,996 Posts
First vid he demonstrates what is happening that he is talking about in the second vid.

If you watch those 2 vids alone, and think about what he says, your AHAH!- moment may just hit you in the forehead. $500, a whole weekend, worth of lessons right there.

Reactions: Nochaser1959

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Yea, I've known Robbie since the mid 70's. It's still the same fundamentals. And yes, big guys charge big prices, but most local competition clubs have GM/M's and Masters that will give you the same thing for much less, a good option for newbies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks guys.

Read everyone’s post and the consensus was loud and clear....I went ahead and canceled my MGW sight pusher order at Midway immediately and went into more woodsheddjng, trying out every single bits/pieces of help tossed in here—all helpful.

It wasn’t clear at first but I self diagnosed two things...
1) although my front sight appeared still during dry firing, I noticed my finger was pressing towards left after the trigger release and very stiff at the same time
2) my right grip was way more stronger than my left grip.

So I made the following two adjustments...again accumulative wisdom from all the comments above...
1) relaxed my right hand a bit and had my left hand take a firmer grip...also, previously I had my right thumb rest on the thumb groove on the pistol grip. I now had my left palm firmly planted in the grip taking up more real estate and rested my right thumb on top, slightly relaxed
2) more relaxed right thumb in turn allowed my trigger finger more straight / neutral / relaxed trigger pulls

With those two adjustments, below are the results from the range this morning...25 rnds at 7.5yrds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Noch, can you post a video of you shooting from the left side? That would explain allot.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,806 Posts
Thanks guys.

Read everyone’s post and the consensus was loud and clear....I went ahead and canceled my MGW sight pusher order at Midway immediately and went into more woodsheddjng, trying out every single bits/pieces of help tossed in here—all helpful.

It wasn’t clear at first but I self diagnosed two things...
1) although my front sight appeared still during dry firing, I noticed my finger was pressing towards left after the trigger release and very stiff at the same time
2) my right grip was way more stronger than my left grip.

So I made the following two adjustments...again accumulative wisdom from all the comments above...
1) relaxed my right hand a bit and had my left hand take a firmer grip...also, previously I had my right thumb rest on the thumb groove on the pistol grip. I now had my left palm firmly planted in the grip taking up more real estate and rested my right thumb on top, slightly relaxed
2) more relaxed right thumb in turn allowed my trigger finger more straight / neutral / relaxed trigger pulls

With those two adjustments, below are the results from the range this morning...25 rnds at 7.5yrds.

A great drill to address the flinching/anticipating recoil is to have someone load a few dummy rounds in your magazine with live rounds...random intervals so you don't know which are which...and watch the front sight when you pull on a dummy round. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
20140920_145455.jpg

I had the same issue with mine until I practiced trigger control using my 22 going back and forth with the g19. It's settled now but it took a little bit to break the habit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got some tips from an instructor during my holster training.

1) don’t lock my elbows - a bit more relaxed
2) trigger finger discipline - press thru
...and the practice run from this morning.

About 30 rounds in total, a series of 3/mag for mag change practice, and shot with both eyes open from 7.5 yards from the target.

What should be my goal for handgun static aim and shoot accuracy...group all my shots in the red center?

·
I'm not retired
7,146 Posts
What should be my goal for handgun static aim and shoot accuracy...group all my shots in the red center?
Trace the bottom of a vegetable can on a sheet of paper and black (or red) it out. At 7.5 yds, all your shots should be inside it or at the worst, cutting the edge of the circle. That would be a decent goal, IMO. When you can get 10 shots inside the circle in 10 seconds, your train will be heading into the station.

eta - I'd like to shoot your gun off a rest to see where it actually hits.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I also read smaller targets make a more accurate shooter. I have 10x20 inch targets but more longer use them. I now only use sheets that individual small targets on them. It greatly improved my shooting. I bought one inch orange dots and use them for practice, too. You can a lot for cheap.

Also, I think in a a situation where you need the g19 you aren't going to stop and draw a soup can circle on the attacker.

·
2,806 Posts

For self-defense, no...'acceptable accuracy' with shots on target w/ blazing speed should be the goal.

I think most people train in reverse...go for perfect accuracy at first, then try to speed up; however, once you get accuracy, you don't want to give it up and people fail to push themselves to increase speed at the expense of accuracy, if that makes sense.

I would argue your goal should be shots on target quickly...as close to center mass as possible. As you're working on speed, your fundamentals will improve, too, and your accuracy will follow (hard to shoot fast follow-ups with a poor grip, for example).

Your shot placement above is perfectly acceptable, sir. You're definitely dialing it in. Those 4 low-left 'fliers' were probably the slightest lapse in proper trigger control.

·
2,806 Posts
There's a video out there of Jerry Miculek making a ~300 yard (I think, could be longer) shot holding his revolver upside down; you can have a poor grip and deliver pinpoint accuracy, but you can't have a poor grip and deliver .10s splits on target.

That's why I argue speed and acceptable accuracy first, then work on tightening up the groups. Tighten then up at 7 yards and once acceptable, reach out further and further. Little mistakes are exacerbated as you increase distance...can stack them at 7 yards and not be on paper at 50 yards. :)

Much respect for coming out the gate getting training and working to dial in your game, sir.

·
I'm not retired
7,146 Posts
Also, I think in a a situation where you need the g19 you aren't going to stop and draw a soup can circle on the attacker.
No, but at the range, it helps with trigger control. If you're milking the grip and/or flinching, you're not going to hit a 3" diameter circle at 22.5' no matter what else you do. Plus, it's a realistic size target for the distance with one shot per second speed. Keeping the sight picture on the middle of the target through the trigger pull is half the battle. Everything else is cake.

·
Private side
11,390 Posts
I also read smaller targets make a more accurate shooter. I have 10x20 inch targets but more longer use them. I now only use sheets that individual small targets on them. It greatly improved my shooting. I bought one inch orange dots and use them for practice, too. You can a lot for cheap.

Or put an orange dot on them.

Learning to aim small can help you miss small.

I like to put a T-shirt over a silhouette target so I can see the rings or dots and then check out my group relative to center mass. No chasing the shots at that point.

Reactions: Nochaser1959

·
Registered
15 Posts
your pulling trigger too fast and dominant hand isnt gripping tight enough. what i mean is when you pull trigger your not just moving your finger but tightening your whole hand and squeezing the whole grip. alot of long range rifle shooters will tell you the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

·
Registered
228 Posts
your pulling trigger too fast and dominant hand isnt gripping tight enough. what i mean is when you pull trigger your not just moving your finger but tightening your whole hand and squeezing the whole grip. alot of long range rifle shooters will tell you the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app
I have a P80 Classic and I was unhappy with my groupings. I just installed Talon Grip Pro and my grouping was immediately better. I believe I was forced to squeeze too tight with my dominant hand which was causing the issue. After I had the grips on, I was able to loosen my right hand grip and increase the left hand grip resulting in better trigger control. They are so cheap, it's worth a try on your G19.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts