Glock 17 G17RecoilSpringReduction

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by asintaderoche, Jun 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. asintaderoche

asintaderoche Guest

I started by measuring the compressed lenght of a factory recoil spring. This include the rod base to a total of .950 or little less than an inch. During recoil rearward travel, before 1.260 inches the slide will be stopped by the frame not fully compressing the spring.

While trying slowly I clipped coil after coil of spring. I ended up removing eight coils and still can dry cycle a round. My fear is that a lighter spring will sure bang up the frame. I have a plan of using a recoil buffer before I shoot this tweaked recoil spring. Any help of what buffer to use?:)

2. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster Dismembered

I've read here that a lighter (way down to 12 lb.) recoil spring will not hurt the frame. Also, heard that buffers are bad news. They don’t help with recoil & cause reliability issues. Just what I've heard but I more/less believe it. Why complicate simple mechanics?

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Being able to
    cycle a round by hand proves nothing....have you actually FIRED a round while shortening the spring ??

There are better ways than clipping coils.....

uncle albert

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Buffers will make your gun unreliable and fix a non existent problem.

Hand cycleing tells you nothing, shoot it.

Frame battereing is a non issue. See www.custom-glock.com/glocktech.html for more info and on spring tuning.

5. speedsix

speedsix

Why would you want a lighter recoil spring? Wouldn't a heavier spring reduce recoil? What am I missing?

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Read the spring article at the link above, it explains it all.

7. asintaderoche

asintaderoche Guest

Range report:sad:

The gun cycle well but combine with lighter reduced firing pin spring resulted to light striking the WSR Primer. Using the factory FP Spring (heavier) it would perform well but it will be noticeable that the slide tension is just enough to fully close and in some instance I would fail. I would try it next time using a soft primer possibly Federal ( softest primer there is)

8. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Guest

You're not missing anything. Of course the total recoil is always the same with given ammo and gun because the momentum of the bullet has to be balanced by recoil force transferred to the hand. But perceived recoil is another matter.

Target shooters like a light recoil spring because that minimizes muzzle flip, and to them that is the most important part of recoil.

A heavy spring tends to increase muzzle flip, but at the same time it spreads the recoil out in time. This reduces the "snap" that many shooters find objectionable.

I have found that with the G17 a combination of a tungsten guide rod and a ISMI 20lb(17lb is stock) spring gives low muzzle flip and a reduction in overall felt recoil.

But be advised that felt recoil is a very subjective, and thus very controversial, issue.