close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17or XD 9mm

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SYee72, Mar 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SYee72

SYee72

Hey Guys,

I went to the shooting range the other night for the first time. I did pretty well for a first timer and enjoyed the experience. It will not be the last time either.

I had the opportunity to shoot 4 guns. Sig 229, Beretta 92sf, G17 and Springfield XD. I did the best with G17and the XD.

I shot around 100 rounds with all 4 guns and I know that is not alot of rounds. With the Glock and XD, my groupings were a 7 inch radius. The Sig and Beretta were all over the place.

I plan on purchasing my first gun over the next 2-3 months. I will go to the range and shoot some more rounds with both the Glock and the XD before I make any decisions.

But I want to get some advice from everybody on Glock Talk on what they think about both the G17 and the XD. I understand this is a Glock forum but hopefully somebody will have experience with both guns.

Thanks!

2. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Both guns are good. The XD is actually an HS2000. Google it. Came as a competitor for glock. I think it was originally Croation. Get which ever gun you like the best, shoot the best, and will fit your needs. I have a few Glocks, 1000's of rounds through them, and ZERO malfunctions! ZERO! There isn't any one best gun. There are many good guns out there. Buy the one that is best for you.

3. SYee72

SYee72

I have done some research and read that the XD-9 was originally comissioned by the Croatian army as their official sidearm. And the XD-9 stands for Extreme Duty 9x19.
    They were comissioned by Springfield Armory in 2002.

Does anybody know about the durability of the XD-9? Can you shoot thousands of rounds without cleaning it like I hear for the Glocks? Is just as easy to disassemble it and reassemble? How many pieces does it break down when field stripping, is it similar to the G17?

Does anybody own both guns?

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

I've heard MANY good things from both. My dad recently just bought a XD 9, though I haven't shot it yet. I say get both...but if that's not possible, just shoot some more and see which one feels most comfortable. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

And every weapon has a lot of parts to it, but just like any pistol that I know of, field stripping takes it down to 5 pieces: frame, slide, barrel, spring, guide rod.

-Cody

5. vram74

vram74

As someone who own both a G19 and an XD-45, I can say they're both really good guns. My XD has only malfunctioned with really poor reloads (reloader cut alot of corners). Really what it comes down to is which one feels better in your hands and is more comfortable to shoot. There are pros/cons to both platforms. You will have an easier time finding accessories and replacement parts for a Glock. Customer Service is excellent with both companies. Springfield offers a limited lifetime warranty with the XD compared to a 1yr with Glock, but judging from what I read here, Glock seems to take care of you no matter how old the Glock is.

If you buy an XD9, make sure its manufacture date is a recent as possible. Older XDs had an issue where if the user didn't put the guide rod back in perfectly centered, the slide would mess up and you would literally have to beat the snot out of it to get it back off. In newer models, they re-designed the barrel so the guide rod sits in a crescent notch so its impossible to improperly install it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVe10MFaFso

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/144727-improved-standard-xd-series.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

G19 over the XD. More people have them, more aftermarket parts for them, more people work on them, etc.

But if you want accuracy, get a CZ. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I had a chance to handle an XD the other day. I have to admit, it really feels nice in the hand. Better trigger reach, just felt good. I am a diehard Glock fan, but I am thinking of trying the XD.

8. EJP

EJP

I prefer the Glocks to the XD but the XD-M ist really close...

9. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

Glock over a XD. BUT a XDm over a Glock. NOW between the 4th Gen Glock vs XDm now thats a tough one, :dunno: get both

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think the standard 4in XD 9, is more comparable to the Glock 19 in size.. but regardless, they are both good guns. I carry a Glock 23, carry an XD9 at work. I don't have a problem w/ either one, but have developed a fondness for the XD Trigger.

IGF

11. sigpro-fessor

sigpro-fessor 5 Times A Day

XDs have a better grip angle, that's about it.

Glock has better track record, stands up better in classes according to most instructors, you can work on them yourself, Glock will actually sell you parts, simpler design with less parts, and better after market support.

12. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

This.^^^

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I have an XD45 Tactical. My wife has a standard XD9. She shoots it very well. They are both very good pistols.

Glock parts are very easy to find, XD parts not so much.

If SHTF I will ALWAYS grab my Glocks as I'm heading out the door.

14. nostradumass

nostradumass Toten a 36

Check out nutnfancy on utube comparing both.

15. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Get whatever one feels best to you, you can't go wrong with either.

Both are easy to field strip, I find the Glock easier to clean. I like the short, crisp reset of the Glock trigger.

Like I said, get whatever one feels best to you.

16. calglockster

calglockster

17. tx787

tx787

It really depends on what you want it for. For a fun range/target gun the xdm is probably better because it's a little more ergonomic and has some fun accessories that it comes with. I think if you get the bitone it's one of the best looking pistols currenty in production.

If you want an all around "tool" the Glock is the way to go. It will last longer if you shoot thousands of rounds it will be easier to fix if it breaks and it will probably be more reliable. There's a reason why law enforcement and competiive shooters pick Glocks and it's not because of the price although they are very affordable.

That being said you should get the Sig ;)

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

What's funny is, when Springfield bought the rights to the HS2000.. They renamed it the XD, and jacked the price about $250 dollars.. and didn't change a thing.

IGF

19. j-glock22

j-glock22

Steppin' onto a minefield here...... asking GT'rs which they prefer? a Glock vs. X?
    In the end, whichever feels and shoots better for you will be the one you choose. Good luck!

20. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I heard the CZ 75b was a good gun. Might look into it... IMO I would go Glock, for the same reason my friend above said, I personally like Springfield Armory's rifles and 1911s over there XDs.