Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been here a long time and I've never asked a Glock question before....odd. :)

With that being said, I saw a brand new, G17M in the store today. As most probably know, it is the "original" Gen 5 that was issue to the FBI. The interesting thing though is that it didn't have the contour on the front of the frame to match the slide. It didn't have the forward slide serrations either.

Is this a limited run or something? It is just like the Gen5 I bought when they first came out. I may buy this one too since I don't like the cosmetics of the forward slide serrations.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw it in an email ad this morning and says it has the "rounded FBI mag catch". Everything else looks standard early Gen 5. I lol'd.
thanks...so it isn't just me. I guess though, if a person wants a new Gen5 without the extra serrations, this would be it. My local shop said these are tough to come by though and they are going fast.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Button-cut rifling was they only thing I could find that separated it from the original gen 5's that were released to the public, but from the above poster apparently there is a difference in the mag catch. Wonder if the FBI has already requested a change in something and they are selling what the have built up to the public.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saw it in an email ad this morning and says it has the "rounded FBI mag catch". Everything else looks standard early Gen 5. I lol'd.
thanks...so it isn't just me. I guess though, if a person wants a new Gen5 without the extra serrations, this would be it. My local shop said these are tough to come by though and they are going fast.
Also....factory extended ambi controls installed, Ameriglo sights as well - just to clarify what makes the "M" different.
thanks for replying. Yeah...my "early" Gen5 has Ameriglo sights too. It doesn't have the same controls apparently.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The 17 M should have

A Gen 4/5 extended Mag catch should be an SP 8794 (stock is 7534)

All metal parts should have a nDLC finish, not just the barrel and slide

The barrel probably has a shallow chamber throat cut.

FWIW, Federal AE 124’s do not pass the pluck test in my early production (Sept 2017 to early 2018) Austria Gen 5 17 and USA Gen 5 19. I bet the same is true for this 17M.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
The 17 M should have

A Gen 4/5 extended Mag catch should be an SP 8794 (stock is 7534)

All metal parts should have a nDLC finish, not just the barrel and slide

The barrel probably has a shallow chamber throat cut.

FWIW, Federal AE 124’s do not pass the pluck test in my early production (Sept 2017 to early 2018) Austria Gen 5 17 and USA Gen 5 19. I bet the same is true for this 17M.
The Lipseys ones don’t have DLC internals unfortunately. That was specifically for the FBI. I suspect this batch was a cancelled order from a smaller department... Somebody already got one and confirmed it’s just plain Jane Gen 5 internals.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Here is mine..
Pink Auto part Technology Magenta
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Airsoft gun Trigger Airsoft

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had one of the first 17/5 that came out , if I dropped a Speer L/E 147gr Bounded FBI rd , it would be tight in the chamber you could not spin it . The round was tight into the rifling.
Mine too. It did function fine however when firing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.