G17M available from Lipsey's (not yet in stock)

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by G17Collector, Sep 7, 2019.

1. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It's interesting. I don't know. I've not seen that before (at least that I've noticed). Has anyone else?

2. ejjeff

ejjeff

I believe the latest production of all gen5 have blueish green internals?

3. professor309

professor309

I pulled the slide off of three guns and all have a very light blue coating that varies in the amount of coverage.
    1) is a 17.5 shipped to me directly from Glock the first week of June. Production on it should have been in late May. BLKV* SN
    2) 17M BENS* SN
    3) 45 MOS BLXY* SN. I believe the MOS version was introduced in April. This was ordered a couple of weeks ago from the distributor. That and the SN tells me it should be my most recent manufactured gun.

The 17.5 has the least amount of this coating on it. I pulled apart 2 more 17.5s that I shoot in GSSF matches

4) BLKV* consecutive number to gun number 1 above. This has a few thousand rounds through it. I cleaned the link and I can still see traces of blue in the corners of the grooves.

5)BGMR* SN this 17.5 was a Blue label purchase in Sept 2018 from a dealers stock. It has a like amount of the blue coating as the above gun after a bit of cleaning.

I used some acetone on a rag and it did not appear to take off any additional amount of the trace coating.

The coverage on mine all look like less that in the picture above and it is most notable on the later guns.

4. professor309

professor309

My guess is this coating is more of a result of the manufacturing process than anything. If I remember, I’ll ask one of the Glock employed armors when I see him in December.

glockhoarder likes this.
  5. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

That would be great. It almost looks like some kind of oxidation residue. Would love to know what they say.

6. professor309

professor309

I just took a new 21 Gen 4 down that was picked up a recently. . Then a new 21 Gen 3 I picked up about 5 weeks ago. They also have the same coating on them.

glockhoarder likes this.
  7. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

glockhoarder likes this.
  8. mtstream

mtstream

A few years ago I started noticing oil on the firing pin of new Glocks. Glock denied it at first, sticking to their position that the firing pin channel should remain dry. They finally broke down and admitted they were using a light oil due to issues with exporting from the US to South American countries.

The guns were getting "stuck on the docs" while they had to renegotiate their entrance into the country. After spending, months stuck at a port, some corrosion occasionally appeared on the springs and other non-nitride treated parts. Glock was trying to figure out how to solve that problem.

If this blue/green stuff being described is something added to those parts, my inclination is to think it's related to the issue of guns sitting in ports for very long periods of time. I know there are blue colored epoxies used to protect HVAC coils in saltwater environments (that such a thing exists is the complete extent of my knowledge on the topic - no idea if it's at all related).

58sniper, glockhoarder and ejjeff like this.
  9. mbar9607

mbar9607

I think Lipsey’s and Glock screwed the market and the early adaptors who paid big $ for a 17M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. mbar9607

mbar9607

I think Lipsey’s and Glock screwed the market and the early adaptors who paid big $ for a 17M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

peanuts2018 likes this.
  11. myglockisa23

myglockisa23 Silver Member

Well I've got $625 invested after taxes tag and dealer prep...Most I ever paid for a Glock. Took my 17M to the range and devalued it even more by pulling the trigger at least 100 times and had fun doing it... Kinda like the U rear sight and shoots to POA...

Set up 9" paper plates at 11 yards and loaded 5 rounds in each mag of my 17M, 17.2, 43, 45....Shot my best group with the 17M, G45 came in 2nd, 17.2 and last was my G43 which was all over the plate but satisfactory for self defense. One shot per second....Don't feel screwed... feel pretty good....might feel different if I paid a bunch of $$$$ for one of these.

IMG_9562.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    ejjeff, xTerpx, glockhoarder and 3 others like this.
  12. triaxle

triaxle

Good shooting , I have one 17M from a Glock employee that the internals have dark smoke look to the color, and a Lipsey 17 M that have the green blue tint .

13. Chui

Chui

Meh... they’re GLOCKS.

But that’s just my take on it.

To me they are tools. Extremely pragmatic tools; reliable, durable and easily maintained tools.

And that’s what makes them oh, so desirable even if others shoot better, feel better, etc.

I think one takes a large risk when they choose to pay exorbitant premiums on polymer pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanuts2018 and myglockisa23 like this.
  14. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

This is of course the collector forum.

There are plenty of these "polymer" pistols that consistently bring thousands to over ten thousand dollars. Why because they have polymer frames instead of steel ones that makes them less collectible makes no sense.

While collectible Glocks are not your cup of tea, Pythons, 1911s, etc are not other's cup of tea.

I think that your assessment of the risk of buying higher end collectible Glocks is not based on an informed opinion of the collectible Glock market - not meant to be disrespectful.

In the case of the 17Ms there was a risk as they are currently produced and the value was tied to their being restricted. This does not apply to Gen 1 and 2 guns. They won't be made again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Chui, ejjeff, Jayman28 and 4 others like this.
  15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

(Just edited my above post.)

Chui, Jayman28 and mbar9607 like this.
  16. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

ejjeff and glockhoarder like this.
  17. mtstream

mtstream

I’ll just trust you on that. It’s physically impossible for me to sit through another Lenny video! :badpc::cool:

Evan_O, Chui, Jayman28 and 1 other person like this.
  18. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

They don't look coated to me on that gun.

19. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

So that vendor went back to Glock for clarification. Here is their response:

OK I spoke with Glock the following is straight from them. These are the initial run of FBI contract guns but were not accepted in this configuration. The ONLY difference is the internal coating. These DO NOT have the nDLC internals. This batch from Lipsey's will be the only chance to add a new 17M in any config to your collection. Once they are gone they are gone.

ejjeff, peanuts2018 and glockhoarder like this.
  20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

That would be VERY cool if it's one and done. Looks like several hundred so far. If that's it they will absolutely have collector value in the future.